• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Bad graphics? Bad construction? Bad game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acrof

Power isn´t enough!
    Years
    Yes, the Pokémon do look plastic, but that's not because of the quality of the graphics, it's because the lack of real textures
    Just let Game Freak/Nintendo/Genius Sonority know that the graphics could be better for a Wii game.
    If it´s possible and cheap (for such big companies) why not to make things better?

If we keep saying: Oh! It´s amazing!
    They will not even TRY to improve anything, because they will still get money from it.

'Sides, the attack effects are freakin' awesome. <3
    I have to agree, although fire attacks looks like water attacks with orange color:P

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    Just let Game Freak/Nintendo/Genius Sonority know that the graphics could be better for a Wii game.
    If it´s possible and cheap (for such big companies) why not to make things better?

If we keep saying: Oh! It´s amazing!
    They will not even TRY to improve anything, because they will still get money from it.

I have to agree, although fire attacks looks like water attacks with orange color:P
    But you're missing one important point; if they give the Pokémon textures they might not look like Pokémon anymore, which I'm sure, they don't want to risk. I say they should try cell shading. That would look totally awesome. <3

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    ^I have to agree with you there. I personally think cel-shading would really match the style of Pokémon. Whether or not they've done it before, they should seriously give it a public shot.

Years
    • Seen Oct 27, 2007
    I also think cell-shading would be great for pokemon games.

I might be referring to an earlier part of this discussion but, Pokemon is not Final Fantasy. It is meant to be turn-based. That's just the style that any Pokemon-Fan fell in love with.

A GOOD story line would be great and for information: They are thinking about a MMORPG of pokemon but that'll take some years.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    You put a bunch of crappy pictures together. Shut up you gay ass.
    Whine about ACTUAL pictures with ACTUAL problems with zooming in or other crap that you try to "prove" that PBR and DP have bad graphics. If a game has **** graphics, the gameplay is all that matters.
    First off. Yutss, since when did you become above the rules? The rules do say something about censor bypassing, and something about flaming. Also don't use "gay" in a demeaning way. Lets try not to do that again, unless you'd like another warning tacked on.

Does PBR have bad graphics? No.
    Could they have been better? Yes.

What a lot of people forget about D/P, PBR, and other Pokemon games is it's Pokemon. They don't have to have the most fancy graphics out there, they don't have to have some nice big fancy FMVs for the games. They like to keep things simple on the graphics side (why does D/P look a lot like the GBA Pokemon games? Because they want to keep it simple, they want to keep it the way it's always been).

XD1 PBR1
    XD2 PBR2
    XD3 PBR3
    I tried to keep them close to the same size. But you get the point.
    PBR might be a step above XD (a little step), but on the graphics side PBR could have been done better.
    Am I complaining about the graphics of PBR? Nope, because I was fine with Col and XD, I'll be fine with PBR. It's a Pokemon game, I wasn't looking for some great big step above in graphics for PBR. I just want a 3D game where I can battle on the Wii. If I wanted a console with some nice HD flashy fancy graphics then I wouldn't have gotten a Wii (I'm not saying it can't pull off some shocker on graphics, but I look at Final Fantasy XIII and I know the Wii can't do that). And I know that graphics doesn't make the game, as long as the gameplay is good I'll be happy with PBR. If I am let down by PBR it won't be due to the graphics.

acrof

Power isn´t enough!
    Years
    But you're missing one important point; if they give the Pokémon textures they might not look like Pokémon anymore, which I'm sure, they don't want to risk. I say they should try cell shading. That would look totally awesome. <3
    If think they should at last try to do it, and call a bunch of pokemon fans to judge the results.
    If the result were good they should make a commercial game.
    About cell shading:
    Great idea, but I still think they should try to make some realistic pokemons, and release the pictures of them in the internet, so we (fans) could judge them.

But there are things that I can´t understand:
    Why did they remove the arena destruction shown in the first preview of PBR?

That , I have to say, would be the most amazing feature in PBR.

Cross

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2008
    While I have disagreed with you mostly Acrof, I must agree with the fact that it was stupid they took out the "Attack effect Arena" addition. That was what I was looking forward to most, and they took it out. It probably required too much data, though.

Law07

<--Kaboom-->
    Years
    Or they wanted to be stupid and think that "Oh no we cant put THAT kind of violence in weely little kids might be scared of a hyper beam coming from a Space Monster destroying the arena!111
    So lets just have a hyper beam coming from a Space Monster!!! Not scary at all =]"

Kids suck

Cross

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2008
    Or they wanted to be stupid and think that "Oh no we cant put THAT kind of violence in weely little kids might be scared of a hyper beam coming from a Space Monster destroying the arena!111
    So lets just have a hyper beam coming from a Space Monster!!! Not scary at all =]"

Kids suck

They're afraid of these kids seeing violence, while I saw two 6 year olds watching the movie "300" in theaters. =/

acrof

Power isn´t enough!
    Years
    They're afraid of these kids seeing violence, while I saw two 6 year olds watching the movie "300" in theaters. =/
    Sad, but true...

That was what I was looking forward to most, and they took it out. It probably required too much data, though.
    I don´t think that way, you see, whenever they need more space they can use 2 DVD discs to make the game. Just like other games do.

Cross

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2008
    Sad, but true...

I don´t think that way, you see, whenever they need more space they can use 2 DVD discs to make the game. Just like other games do.

The game producing company would have too much trouble creating two discs a package, and PBR would have to be charged, by costumers, minimally over $65.00 a game package. It would cost too much, less people would buy it for the price, and Gamefreaks funding would go down as they make more and people buy less.

It's a matter of marketing, price ranges and the expense of a product. Possibly 1 Mil. PBR copys would be sold after 4 days, minimum.

And I've never seen a company that uses TWO discs for one game.

Andrea-chan

~In the shadows~
    Years
    The game producing company would have too much trouble creating two discs a package, and PBR would have to be charged, by costumers, minimally over $65.00 a game package. It would cost too much, less people would buy it for the price, and Gamefreaks funding would go down as they make more and people buy less.

It's a matter of marketing, price ranges and the expense of a product. Possibly 1 Mil. PBR copys would be sold after 4 days, minimum.

And I've never seen a company that uses TWO discs for one game.
    Lets say PBR is on 2 discs, why would it cost over $65? Just because it has 2 discs in the box? Why would it be so hard for them to make a 2 disc package?
    If a game like Happy Feet was put on two discs it would be $65 just because it's a 2 disc game? No. The price of games is based off of development costs, and how well the game is likely to sell. A game like Happy Feet wouldn't have sold well at $50, so they had to bring it down right from the start. And to top it all off, Nintendo said none of their first (and I'm gussing second as well) party games are going to be over $50.

PBR couldn't sell 1 million copies in 4 days if it wanted to (well, sure it could. Drop the price down to 5 bucks and it'd sell like crazy). It took Diamond and Pearl 5 days to break 1 mill sells in the US. And a lot of people got both Dimaond and Pearl. There aren't two copies of Pokemon Battle Revolution for everyone to buy.

And you have never seen a company that uses more than once disc for a game? I've seen games that have 3 and 4 discs, does that count? You might want to get into gaming a little more. Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and IX all use 3-4 discs for the games (most of the Square games on the PS used at least 2 discs). Tales of Symphonia and Resident Evil Zero both on the GC both used two discs. And Blue Dragon for the XBox 360 is going to use 3 discs.

I am let down by what was taken out of PBR. When I saw the first trailer and saw Hyper Beam (or whatever attack it was) dig a groove in the ground and I said to myself "This is what I've been wanting in a console Pokemon game". I had high hopes for the game, not on the graphics side as much as updaing a lot of things (Pokemon really hitting each other, attacks like Hyper Beam digging up the ground, Thunder making rocks fly, Earthquake breaking up the ground, etc). But sadly, PBR just didn't stand up to what I had hoped for.

Cross

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2008
    Lets say PBR is on 2 discs, why would it cost over $65? Just because it has 2 discs in the box? Why would it be so hard for them to make a 2 disc package?
    If a game like Happy Feet was put on two discs it would be $65 just because it's a 2 disc game? No. The price of games is based off of development costs, and how well the game is likely to sell. A game like Happy Feet wouldn't have sold well at $50, so they had to bring it down right from the start. And to top it all off, Nintendo said none of their first (and I'm gussing second as well) party games are going to be over $50.
    Productions cost would make the game sell for more so Gamefreak would collect more money than wat they put in it. But I'm not so good in the economic world, so you're probably right.
    PBR couldn't sell 1 million copies in 4 days if it wanted to (well, sure it could. Drop the price down to 5 bucks and it'd sell like crazy). It took Diamond and Pearl 5 days to break 1 mill sells in the US. And a lot of people got both Dimaond and Pearl. There aren't two copies of Pokemon Battle Revolution for everyone to buy.
    But more people have Wii, and this is the fisrt Wii game with online gameplay. Isn't it remotely possible it will be more of a hit than D/P?
    And you have never seen a company that uses more than once disc for a game? I've seen games that have 3 and 4 discs, does that count? You might want to get into gaming a little more. Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and IX all use 3-4 discs for the games (most of the Square games on the PS used at least 2 discs). Tales of Symphonia and Resident Evil Zero both on the GC both used two discs. And Blue Dragon for the XBox 360 is going to use 3 discs.
    Pardon, but I don't think I WANT to get into the gaming world a little bit more.
    Nintendo is my side hobby besides football. It's not my life where I buy ever FF game and sit in my room with a bag of M&Ms and a Pepsi, all the while saying "Dah! Flicking fingers on remote make person on TV move! Ahar!"
    And isn't it remotely sad that people pay for 4 disc video games when they could read a book or take up a sport? My god.
    I am let down by what was taken out of PBR. When I saw the first trailer and saw Hyper Beam (or whatever attack it was) dig a groove in the ground and I said to myself "This is what I've been wanting in a console Pokemon game". I had high hopes for the game, not on the graphics side as much as updaing a lot of things (Pokemon really hitting each other, attacks like Hyper Beam digging up the ground, Thunder making rocks fly, Earthquake breaking up the ground, etc). But sadly, PBR just didn't stand up to what I had hoped for.
    This I agree on. PBR looked tremendously awesome in the first preveiw, and then WHAM! They took out what was to be the best part. I'm suprised they even kept the "Pokemon Physically Hit Eachother" in.

While this games Gameplay and graphics are good, PBR isn't near what Nintendo THEMSELVES said it was going to be. Not many battle arenas, either. (10? Come on!!)

The game lacks what it should've had most, but it's graphics are tremendous. Anyone seen the Ice beam attack model? Or the solarbeam one? Both had such good quality, it made me want to import a copy from japan right that second.

MrRandomIDon'tCare

I'm Not Here
    Years
    Nintendo is my side hobby besides football. It's not my life where I buy ever FF game and sit in my room with a bag of M&Ms and a Pepsi, all the while saying "Dah! Flicking fingers on remote make person on TV move! Ahar!"

lol, i agree. i hate it when ppl think that everyone who plays games are nerds who sit in front of computers all day.

DMJ

acrof

Power isn´t enough!
    Years
    The game lacks what it should've had most, but it's graphics are tremendous. Anyone seen the Ice beam attack model? Or the solarbeam one? Both had such good quality, it made me want to import a copy from japan right that second.
    Don´t foget about Hydro Cannon, Blast Burn and Frenzy Plant, they´re awesome too!
    I AMLOST FORGOT! SURF! THIS ATTACK IS AMAZING IN PBR!

But the fact of using some 3D models from stadium, to release this game sooner.... Blarg....
    I was really disappointed when I realized that...

TyRaNiTaR

248-491-197
    Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2007
    But the fact of using some 3D models from stadium
    I have no idea what your talking about.. I compared the said PBR Venasaur and Charizard to Stadium 1 and 2 Venasaur and Chariard...
    While they look similar, they surface tendence is much smoother, most likely due to more segment additions... and the movement seems to flow easier... Not to metnion Nintendo got off their butts to actually make every shiny form of a pokemon now...

Also.. I also noticed that you said the "Hexagonal" Pokeball... while I have seen it... have you ever considered it was made that way? to add to the decorative touch?

Again, The Fire, Water, and Ice attacks look ungodly awsome.. freshly made particle systems added with awsome animation and graphics.. PBR has THE BEST Graphics on the Wii currently (Besides MP3 and SSBB)

Gameplay? Excuse me.. PBR Isnt suposed to have a storyline... its another Stadium... Whats not to love? I mean.. common? Not to mention the Online addition and the custom avatars... Battling via WiFi has never looked so real... sadly... no voice chat (Unless Nintendo decides to add another speaker to the WiiMote, since techniclly, the one used currently is also the ones used in modern cell phones :))

Also, You can change the cair color and length ;)
    You jsut havent seen it yet...

Last edited:

Legacy

The Living Legend
    Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2009
    But more people have Wii, and this is the fisrt Wii game with online gameplay. Isn't it remotely possible it will be more of a hit than D/P?
    There are waaaay more DS owners than there are current Wii owners. Worldwide, the Wii hasn't sold much more than 7,000,000 consoles yet, so in order for it to sell 1,000,000 Wii games, 1 in 7 people would have to buy it.

And as Andrea said, Pokémon Diamond and Pearl combined sold one million after five days and a good portion of the people that bought Diamond also bought Pearl.

So it's damn near impossible for PBR to sell quicker than DP, and there are two reasons why.

Pardon, but I don't think I WANT to get into the gaming world a little bit more.
    And isn't it remotely sad that people pay for 4 disc video games when they could read a book or take up a sport? My god.
    Do you realise how hypocritical you sound right there? So, there's nothing wrong with you just because Nintendo is your hobby, but people who have general gaming as a hobby have no life?

I have a girlfriend, full time job, part time studying, am captain of my soccer team, play in a pool team and go out with friends at the weekend. Yet I still find time to play Final Fantasy and other games. My life is pretty damn balanced, so where's the problem there?

Just because you're too narrow minded to realise your own hypocrisy, doesn't give you a right to put others down.

This I agree on. PBR looked tremendously awesome in the first preveiw, and then WHAM! They took out what was to be the best part. I'm suprised they even kept the "Pokemon Physically Hit Eachother" in.

While this games Gameplay and graphics are good, PBR isn't near what Nintendo THEMSELVES said it was going to be. Not many battle arenas, either. (10? Come on!!)

The game lacks what it should've had most, but it's graphics are tremendous. Anyone seen the Ice beam attack model? Or the solarbeam one? Both had such good quality, it made me want to import a copy from japan right that second.[/QUOTE]

DragonMaster Jet said:
    lol, i agree. i hate it when ppl think that everyone who plays games are nerds who sit in front of computers all day.
    That's EXACTLY what he was saying, too.

acrof

Power isn´t enough!
    Years
    I have no idea what your talking about.. I compared the said PBR Venasaur and Charizard to Stadium 1 and 2 Venasaur and Chariard...
    While they look similar, they surface tendence is much smoother
    I said some 3D models.
    Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, and respective evolutions were remodeled, but most of them (the old ones) are still using 3D models from Stadium...
    EX: Arcanine, Slowbro, Exeggutor, etc.

Years
    *PS:Actualy the original japanese Pokemon Stadium IS a 10 year old game.
    Um.. are you sure? The original version, which I doubt you've ever played, was released in '98. That would be nine years, correct? Also, I assume you're talking about the other Stadium (the 2nd Japanese), since slowbro wasn't even IN stadium 1. Stick to one stadium if you must compare them.

Would you like to see Diamond and Pearl with Gold/Silver graphics???
    Seriously? You're comparing total changes from GS >> DP with limited amounts and choices of color with the minor differences between these stadium models -that you insist are the same- and the PBR graphics, which have hardly any noticable differences?
    Btw, I would like it. I don't judge things on looks and completely ignore everything else.

Has anyone actually posted pictures of these for comparing? {{If so, could you post them again? I don't feel like looking through 10 pages.}} I'll bet there are some differences between them.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    here is a picture that i found in another thread

Bad graphics? Bad construction? Bad game?

But what I'm scared of is this thread may turn into the other one

:t354:~*!*~Queen Boo~*!*~

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back