• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Bad graphics? Bad construction? Bad game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    Ash doesn't bother me too much. What really bothers me is the lack of creativity and thought in the storyline. Your average episode of Pokemon consists of Ash, Brock and Dawn (or whatever new character's in the group this month) continuing their journey when they're sidetracked by someone either in need of help, or someone running a pointless competition. The gang goes to compete or help the person in question, when Team Rocket shows up and steals a Pokemon. Ash and the gang beat Team Rocket, return the stolen Pokemon and solve the problem. Then they move on with their journey.

And this goes on and on. For a show that supposedly has an ongoing plot, Pokemon is really repetitive.

Then there's the premise of Ash getting 8 Badges and entering the League. Why is this annoying? Read: FOUR TIMES!!! It has happened FOUR TIMES now! And the games aren't faring much better. Colosseum and XD actually put a bit of thought into the story, but even THOSE fell short. If it's a criminal organization, they aren't just gonna give up because you beat up their pets. That's like pronouncing Bass' name as it's spelled. It's just weird.

Why can't they come up with something better than that? Maybe if they'd spend more time creating a GOOD plot, instead of the same redundant, pointless stuff, the series would become more popular again.

About the episodes, maybe they should have other main characters sometimes, not only just Satoshi and his friends. I thought the beginning of the first Pokemon movie was special, not only becasue of the story, but also because it was about Mewtwo and Ai, two other characters. I don't mean they should leave Satoshi out, but every episode does not have to include him. By doing this it will be much easier to create a more non-repeating story, too. Maybe, before they add another character (like they added Haruka and Hikari), why not have this new character travel alone for awhile until she/he meets Satoshi and the rest.
    And why not put a 'movie' story into some of the episodes. Because the episodes are short deos not mean you cannot have an event extend through several of them. That will make people long for the next episode even more. Some events are during more than one episode, instead of ending during the same as they started in, but its still not like the Pokemon movies. Its not harder (probably even easier) to have a good story in a season of episodes than in a movie.

wolfie1177

PC needs to get more brutal!!!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2021
    I think the game actually looks decent. The environments, trainers and attack effects look pretty good to me.

But the Pokemon in the game are a totally different story. Some look good, even pretty darn good, but some look downright terrible. I fought a Graveler last night, and it looked like the game was glitching out, like when random techno-glitch stuff just pops out of things in video games.

Lack of story is sort of an issue for me too, battling is only good for so long. I do like the online battling though, it certainly gives more of a rush than in-game battling.

Overall, I'd give it a pretty good, but I think maybe they rushed this a little bit. It definitely could have been spectacular if they had tried a little harder.

acrof

Power isn´t enough!
    Years
  • And why not put a 'movie' story into some of the episodes. Because the episodes are short deos not mean you cannot have an event extend through several of them. That will make people long for the next episode even more. Some events are during more than one episode, instead of ending during the same as they started in, but its still not like the Pokemon movies. Its not harder (probably even easier) to have a good story in a season of episodes than in a movie.
    They should do that more often.
    It worked with me when they showed those 2 episodes with Groundon battling Kyogre.

But I really think they shold try changing all the main characters.
    You see, Ash is the hero whenever some legendaries appear, and it looks like Ash is te only one that met every single legendary pokemon, for me it sounds like Ash is the most important pokemon trainer of all.
    Whenever I stop to watch a episode and I see Ash battling I think to myself: "I can do that a thousand of times better." XD

It definitely could have been spectacular if they had tried a little harder.
    I agree with that.

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2009
    But Kenta was the main character of Legend of Thunder, and he met Raikou. Still, they should make more movies like that one. My favorite will still be the first one (Mewtwo Strikes Back), the part when Mewtwo was the main character

Pogiforce-14

EV/IV Trainer
    Years
  • There was so much potential, and it all went to waste.

Diamond and Pearl are set in 3D envoronments anyway, so I was almost expecting there to be something similar to the "Gameboy Tower" from Pokémon Stadium, but nay.
    I was actually hoping for a fully 3D playable version of Diamond/Pearl via Ds/Wii link-up.
    I realize that's not likely to ever happen, but it's possible.

Anyway, other than that, there was also the trainer customization.
    There's like, 2 items (exaggerating) in each category (eg: top, bottom, shoes, gloves) for each of the 6 trainer types, plus a couple items here and there that are universal.
    I was hoping for something more like the character customization in the Tiger Woods PGA Tour games, or like in Def Jam Icon, or at the VERY least, The Sims.
    But no, instead, we have characters with set faces, set hairstyles, and hats we can't remove.

Another simple thing I would have liked would be an option to turn off all the animation.
    After the novelty of full-motion animation and neat-looking moves wears off, I just wanna speed through some of these friggin' rounds!
    But I know they wouldn't do that because the 3D animation is the entire point.

This game is supposed to let us "enjoy" Pokémon in full 3D.
    Unfortunately, that's ALL it does.
    Think about it. If you don't upload your D/P Pokémon, you're stuck with rental trainers.
    That's right, not rental pokémon. Rental trainers. With pre-defined, locked pokémon.
    This means you can't make any custom teams unless you upload your
    D/P pokémon.

So what does this tell me? It's ultimately just $50 worth of eye candy.
    There's no enhanced gameplay, no special features, no nothing.
    At least Pokémon Stadium had minigames and stuff.
    Even Pokémon Colosseum (which I hate with a passion, btw) has a story mode to distract people.
    Pokémon Battle Revolution is just a waste of money, which is why I'm going to sell it as soon as I can find some sucker who wants it.

...Now then... Agreements? Objections?

Well everyone most certainly is entitled to their opinion. I for one think the fact that it allows you to battle other trainers over the internet in full 3d and not have to go to the trouble of getting their friend code first makes it worth the money. ANd so D/P is essentially required, what pokemon game wasn't made that you couldn't get the full enjoyment of without another game? and I'm talking the real games, not sidequest like stuff like Pokemon Snap and Ranger.

Though one spot where I have to correct you is that the rental passes ARE customizable. at least to a degree. you can change what pokemon are on the passes by one of two ways. FIrstly, if you own more than one pass you can trade pokemon between passes, and secondly, you can permanently change what pokemon are on a pass by trading them via Trade Battle in Gateway colloseum. so it's not like the rental passes are as stagnant as you claim.

Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2007
    PBR didn't really impress me like I had hoped. Trainers are easy to beat and I was actually hoping i'd get to catch some Pokemon in it. But overall it's a pretty terrible game.

evilcheese

God I am so freakin lazy
    Years
  • The pokemon look fine there is storage and who really cares if theres a hexagon. the graphics are better than DP the game has wi fi you can dress up your trainer so it's a decent game

acrof

Power isn´t enough!
    Years
  • The pokemon look fine
    Oh really?
    Cause 99% of my favorite pokémon are the same from stadium 2, 64-bits graphics in a 256-bits system....
    arcanine.jpg

vizforte

The Memoriam.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2009
    Arcof, I thought this thread got closed, due to flaming or something? lol, apparently not.. Which pokemon weren't upgraded for Wii?

Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2009
    Battle Revolution

You mentioned the Graphics are terrible. On Youtube, they look much worse than in real life. Although, that Pokeball in the fountainisa hexagon.Anyway, all the other features you said were missing, don't matter(exept for the field destruction, why'd they get rid of THAT???:17:)i do like that they kept the same animations from Stadium, but not that they kept the same graphics.What realy matters is the battles! And the battles are Spectacular.(they would be even better if there was some destruction involved:t057) Anyway, i think it's a good game.But, i don't have wifi for wii:17:.

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
  • Arcof, I thought this thread got closed, due to flaming or something? lol, apparently not.. Which pokemon weren't upgraded for Wii?

No, another thread was closed due to flaming. This thread, so far, has been nothing but reasonable opinions. Some people like it, and stated why, and some people hate it, & stated why. Just cause we don't agree, doesn't make it flaming.

I disagree. It seems that the graphics didn't improve from Stadium, but it had to. I think the graphics are still bad, even for the Wii. This is a NEXT GEN SYSTEM! I expect there to be some better graphics, and it being the Wii isn't a good enough excuse. I see PBR as a $50 expansion port. They could've done better.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2009
    Battle Revolution

I disagree. It seems that the graphics didn't improve from Stadium, but it had to. I think the graphics are still bad, even for the Wii. This is a NEXT GEN SYSTEM! I expect there to be some better graphics, and it being the Wii isn't a good enough excuse. I see PBR as a $50 expansion port. They could've done better.

The graphics of the 1st/2nd Gen. pkmn aren't as bad as they were for the 64, but do need improvement. But even though the Wii is a next gen. console, it scarcely ever has 360 or PS3 graphics, so Battle Revolution wouldn't be an exception.

sims796

Years
  • I know that, we can't expect too much from the Wii, but still, this is 4th generation of gaming. It being graphically inferior to 360/PS3 is no excuse for some of the systems poor graphics-PBR, for example. Have ya seen Twilight Princess? How bout Resident Evil 4? Those are some pretty games. We can't be so leniant on PBR's visuals, or else they will continue to shell out ugly games.

acrof

Power isn´t enough!
    Years
  • Those are some pretty games. We can't be so leniant on PBR's visuals, or else they will continue to shell out ugly games.
    I´m afraid they will never care about that, we insist to buy the outdated games they release, so they probably wont make the future games that better either, because they will still get money from that....

Faceless*

YES!
    Years
    • ?
    • Seen Jan 17, 2013
    lol Personally, I'm very disappointed with the Wii.
    The only game that I've played on it that I enjoy is Super Paper Mario. I love that game.
    Everything else is absolutely intolerable. o.O
    But as for PBR, it'd keep me amused if the Pokémon ever actually came into physical contact with each other. At least for tackle or something.

You'll change your mood with Wii after SSBB comes out :D

sims796

Years
  • I´m afraid they will never care about that, we insist to buy the outdated games they release, so they probably wont make the future games that better either, because they will still get money from that....

You're right, but that's cause there is a strong fanbase for PBR-no offense to anyone. Like those God awful anime games (I'm looking at you, Naruto) people will buy 'em no matter what. But look at Zelda. People were quite angry at Wind Wakers visuals, awesome as they were. But Twilight Princess looked so serious, it was gorgeous. Those were more, well, 'active' gamers, not a bunch of Pokemaniacs.

No offense to anyone who likes PBR. Just cause you like it doesn't mean your a crazed fanboy. We all like some sort of, well, poor quality games. I for instance like Dynasty Warrior, despite it being extremley reppetitive.

vizforte

The Memoriam.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2009
    Wiiiiiiiiiii~..

The Wii has the most potential for the next gen consoles... except... the Wii ISN'T next gen... well in the way that PS3 and 360 are. All three are indeed the next generation of their predecessors. The Wii isn't near the graphical standards of the other 2. This has been an issue NIntendo has always had, was pushing the envelope graphically. They come up with new ideas, but graphics aren't their strong point in the least.

So while I personally have no opinion on the graphics in PBR, as well, i don't ever get hopes up for graphics in Pokemon games.. lol.. I've been into pokemon too long to know the graphics aren't going to catchup to the current standard, or even half way catchup.

But yeah, Nintendo slacks off sometimes when it comes to trying hard, any of us that play Pokemon are surely not shocked by this... are we? I mean, come on, yellow's only changes graphically were the opponent pokemon graphic changed, color, and slight animations. From there Gold/Silver and even crystal didn't change much.. except color mainly.

Ruby and Sapphire were more upgraded for the GBA, but if you've played Golden Sun.. yeah that had WAY better graphics.. And OMG a story! -gasp- Emerald was the same, except less irritatingly sized font, and animations again.. cuz for some reason they got left out ouf R/S.. -cough- slackers -cough cough- ..

While I respect everyone's opinion, thinking or hoping the graphics for PBR on the Wii were gonna be anything like Gears of War, Viva Pinata, Metal gear Solid 4.. You gotta keep perspective of the companies, their focus and the potential of the machines themselves.

P.S. the only game i've seen to have decent graphics for the Wii so far is ... -shock- Mario Galaxy and Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.. Flagship titles for Nintendo.. As where Pokemon is coowned by Gamefreaks.. with payouts to Satoshi Tajiri.

This is my opinion, and opinions are as prevelant as the things we sit on.

sims796

Years
  • Now I agree with everything that ya said, but we know that the Wii's graphical prowess are inferior to 360/PS3, but it should still be ahead of it's past system. Think of it like food. If a three star restaraunt can make decent looking food [Gamecube], then a four star restaraunt should be more appealing [Wii]. You wouldn't wanna eat food that looks & smells like vomit, no matter how delicious it taste.

Always and Never

Nick // Always and Never
    Years
  • wtf? How do you eat Wiis?

The Wii is about a different way to play, in the PBR case it is Wi-Fi, not food.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back