• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Bad reasons to play a video game?

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    I was actually talking about this on another forum, and thought why not bring it here? I'm sure Will'd be happy it'd promote some decent discussion. :) So what are some bad, or dumb, or just outrageous reasons people you know, or yourself refuse to play a game?

I remember when I was first introduced to Conker's Bad Fur Day, which I barely understood, I was with my uncle at the time and he refused to keep playing it because it had lots of dialogue at the beginning. I think he stopped playing for that sole reason as soon as you went to choose a new game and and from there showed you the game's logo. I don't know why such great dialogue would keep you from playing a game, but oh well, his loss. :P

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015
    ....graphics. Seriously, I know alot of people who have turned down games because of graphics sadly.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I can't think of any bad reasons to not play a game, so I'll just say the game's age(although that angle is understandable as well). I know a few people that refuse to play newer games because "LOL GOD TIER 19XX GAMES CRAP TIER EVERYTHING LATER" and it's infuriating trying to get them to play more recent games solely because they're from a certain age.

I'd say publisher name is also really annoying, but it makes sense as well. If Square Enix published weeaboo JRPGs and Bethesda published poorly executed FPSes, then chances are they're going to keep doing that.
    ....graphics. Seriously, I know alot of people who have turned down games because of graphics sadly.

Bad reasons to play a video game?

Graphics are a very valid reason to not play a game. I tried playing through Ultima II and Earthbound, and the isometric visuals gave me a headache.

Years
    For me, graphics isn't much of a problem when it comes to gaming; I love so many games from back in the day that I play today and they don't exactly have Crysis 2 graphics.

I think games like Mario that have spin off games like Mario tennis or whatever it is, makes me sceptical and will normally make me conclude that I wouldn't even waste my time on it.​

razzbat

dancer
    Years

Graphics are a very valid reason to not play a game. I tried playing through Ultima II and Earthbound, and the isometric visuals gave me a headache.

...um thats not graphics, thats just you having some vision disability. because visually, earthbound is fantastic. though i can understand people who can't play games because of graphics, using earthbound as an example is just a... no.

bad reason to play a game? too much content. there are so many people that I know that say that brawl isn't as good as the 64 one because theres too many characters, stages and items. if they want to just play the 64 characters they can and if some items annoy them, they can just turn it off...

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    ...um thats not graphics, thats just you having some vision disability. because visually, earthbound is fantastic. though i can understand people who can't play games because of graphics, using earthbound as an example is just a... no.

Yes, actually. It's painful to the eyes when you get a character moving in the cardinal directions in a pseudo-isometric world. It's no Dwarf Fortress when it comes to bad aesthetics, but it certainly is painful to look at despite being so bland.

xhainingx

grimer? I hardly know her
    Years
    and bad graphics can mean two things. If a game is within the bounds of the technology but its using 256 colors, or plain textures, thats different then a game where the design prevents you from actually perceiving what's going on

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    People playing a game deliberately so they can make a negative review to pee off fans. Also, people playing the game for the graphics. If you want to see the graphics, just watch a walkthrough on youtube.

NatureKeeper

Most people like graphics with 3D engine, or 2.5D since the 3DS is one of the only true 3Ds.

Childish fame.
    Main reason why most people don't play Pokémon where I live. They are afraid about their popularity, mainly. Idc anyways, Pokémon rocks.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I know I've been guilty of rejecting games because of the character designs. Almost didn't play Pokemon White because of it.

I know other people won't play games because of some preconceived notion of the franchise (Pokemon, for example) or because of bad voice acting in the game. Really, that's why the mute button on your TV exists, lol

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    - Childish games
    People miss out on games like Pokemon, Harvest Moon, and Viva Pinata because it looks too childish and such. There are things in Pokemon for the older crowd, obviously. As for HM and VP, they require a little getting used to, but they're pretty addictive when you get past the kiddiness. I enjoy them.

- Bad graphics
    I know a lot of people that won't replay older games because graphics have advanced so much that they just say "ohhh how ugly" and such. I don't know about y'all, but I'm still impressed with some SNES and N64 games, even after playing this generation's consoles. But I'm never in it for graphics. I just wanna have fun playing a game.

Uhhh, will come back to this later. The thunder is making things in here literally pop and it's scaring the piss outta me, lol.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
    -PS3 vs Xbox
    Where i live this is a strong reason, it's like a war if your xbox, you cant touch the ps3 and any games for it and vice versa.

-It's not a sports game
    This one is less understandable than the last one. Along with the PS3 vs Xbox, alot of people here are "Jocks" and only play sports games

-It's Not CoD
    Just replace sports with Cod and read the one above this.

Zero Avenged

Be greater.
    Years
    Because you found it for 5 dollars at gamestop and decided to try it out O_O. I know a lot of my friends that decided to do that and they always get these weird games.
    I normally avoid games with bad bad bad gameplay and stories that drag on. I will borrow it from a friend and then if I like it buy it otherwise i get 10 minutes into it and get bored.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    — Good graphics
    A lot of people purport that 'graphics don't make a game' as though they're incredibly pretentious individuals who wouldn't play a given game just because it is pretty. Even if they would, they just wouldn't consider the visual spectacle to be as much part of the experience as all else. Sure, gameplay comes first, but what comes second (before a lot of other things)? Sight being our primary sense suggests visuals; they don't have to be especially detailed, no, but well-presented.

Why is the title of this thread "bad reasons to play a video game", while the OP is about "bad reasons to not play a video game"? I've answered for the latter as a matter of course but please clarify.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I don't think there are any bad reasons for playing a video game. We play video games for simple entertainment, each individual has their own idea of what is and is not entertaining. If someone decides they don't want to play a video game for a certain reason, then so be it. Their reason for not playing is obviously important enough to them.

We might as well force our own favourite films and music onto people while we're at it. But that would be absurd, right?!?!

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
    Where I live, the only video game anyone plays is CoD. Most of the time, they are just wasting their life playing Angry Birds, listening to awful pop music like Kesha or Justin Bieber or awful rap music like Eminem or 50 cent, or using Facebook. Most people say any game that's not CoD is for nerds who have no friends. Nobody here plays Pokemon either. My one friend actually just stopped playing Pokemon because it wasn't making him popular. Yeah, where I live all anyone thinks about is their reputation, except for me and a few of my friends. But other than that, I think it's stupid when people choose games because they have annoying angsty characters and anime graphics. You know what I'm talking about, games like Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy. Sure, a dark story can be good, but an overly angsty protagonist kills the whole story in my opinion.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I don't think there are any bad reasons for playing a video game. We play video games for simple entertainment, each individual has their own idea of what is and is not entertaining. If someone decides they don't want to play a video game for a certain reason, then so be it. Their reason for not playing is obviously important enough to them.

We might as well force our own favourite films and music onto people while we're at it. But that would be absurd, right?!?!
    Absurd? I wouldn't think so. Regardless, this is just a show of personal opinions; it's doubtful that we would all be so indecent to others in reality.

竜の子

Avy made by Trainer Touko
    Years
    Soccer related or not Nintendo made

Which in my country(Brail) eliminates every popular game

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Guilty of this myself, but I won't play a game if I consider the fanbase to be annoying as hell. Portal is the prime example of this.

Years
    Some of my mates buy games for the cover art. . . .I mean really? The cover art can be amazing, but if the game is a load of rubbish what's the point? Also people buying games for the graphics annoys me somewhat as well. . .Some people are so snobbish about graphics that they won't buy a clearly AWESOME game!!

Back