• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: Base 180 Attack OP?

Years
    In the creation of a ROM hack I decided to create a fighting type legendary. It is primarily based around punching. Would it be overpowered if it had Iron Fist and base attack 180?

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Yes. Most definitely, that is too strong, in my opinion.

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
    Well, if it was like giga impact or focus punch, or if it had a hard condition before it's usable, I think it's OK. If it's like a 180 power tackle then it'd be OP.

You can throttle it by reducing PP to a very low amount or giving it recoil plus another condition. There's plenty of ways to balance something like that out. Maybe the Pokemon is like a slow and gets 1 shot easy. If it seems OP to you, you can always tone down the power.

Squeetz

ROM Hacker
    Years
    In the creation of a ROM hack I decided to create a fighting type legendary. It is primarily based around punching. Would it be overpowered if it had Iron Fist and base attack 180?
    Well there's Mega Mewtwo X with 190 base attack. Although he may seem like a monster, he's held back by the lackluster power in his physical movepool (having to resort to Low kick/Drain punch and Zen headbutt for STAB moves) Now, if he had iron fist instead of Steadfast, he would be a little scarier.
    Keep in mind that this is a legendary + a mega, so it'd be wise for you to balance out your legend accordingly.
    Just take a look at Mega Heracross. He has a base 185 Atk, but is held back by his speed and bad defensive typing.
    Now, see how the mons I mentioned with attack in that range are all megas? Except Deoxys-attack, but he's a "balanced" legend due to his piss poor defenses.

How you want to balance your mon is all up to you, and if you want to make it broken with 700+ BST then go for it, but I don't think that would be very fun to battle.

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2018
    Now, see how the mons I mentioned with attack in that range are all megas? Except Deoxys-attack, but he's a "balanced" legend due to his piss poor defenses.

Don't forget Mega friggin' Rayquaza! The only Pokemon to be banned from Gen VI Ubers by Smogon because it's that OP. Unlike Deoxys-A, its defenses are usable. Not great, but good enough to survive more than half a hit.

Generally speaking, Pokemon with a particularly high attack stat are either A) slow but able to tank physical/special hits while dying to special/physical hits or B) faster than average but with practically no bulk. If neither A nor B are true, then they have crippling abilities (poor Regigigas...) or are box art legendaries, but even those guys have limits.

Extreme examples of A include Pokemon like Rhyperior with a 4x weakness to two common special types (Grass and Water, though the Solid Rock ability helps out) combined with a low special defense, and a classic example of B is Alakazam with practically zero physical defense, decent special defense, but no HP to make use of it.

Years
    Hmm, so I guess it would be balanced as it has a resonable def stat but low speed, HP and special def. But maybe more could be done as still a bulk up or powerup punch would buff the attack enough to ohko anything. It probably doesn't help that it learns bulletpunch.

Years
    • Seen Sep 24, 2020
    Hmm, I think you could balance it more. If had Bulletpunch, doesnt mind if its slow. 150-160? Its a bit weak but still strong.

Back