• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokeemerald] Battle Engine Upgrade

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I tried building a Pokeemerald rom with the battle engine upgrade, poke expansion, and item expansion, when I ran into this error:
    Code:
    src/pokemon.c: In function `PokemonToBattleMon':
    src/pokemon.c:4607: `battlerId' undeclared (first use in this function)
    src/pokemon.c:4607: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
    src/pokemon.c:4607: for each function it appears in.)
    src/pokemon.c:4607: `partyIndex' undeclared (first use in this function)
    src/pokemon.c:4639: `hpSwitchout' undeclared (first use in this function)
    make: *** [Makefile:253: build/emerald/src/pokemon.o] Error 1

I know a bit of C, so I looked into pokemon.c, and I did notice that these variables are indeed never declared at any point in the function PokemonToBattleMon, but that's about all I got out of it, since I don't know the full ins-and-outs of the program. Does anyone know how to fix this error?

-----EDIT------
    Never mind, I realized I made a mistake while fixing one of the merge conflicts. It works now.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2024
    Hey everyone! Got this working and really love it... But I do have one question. Using git and editing txt data is working, but it really is user unfriendly. There is this programme called Pokemon Game Editor and that is amazing to use! I used this to do a lot of editing already, but this compiled rom is just perfect.... I really want to easily edit it. Is there a way to use a pokeemerald rom in this porgramme (or something similar)?

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Hey everyone! Got this working and really love it... But I do have one question. Using git and editing txt data is working, but it really is user unfriendly. There is this programme called Pokemon Game Editor and that is amazing to use! I used this to do a lot of editing already, but this compiled rom is just perfect.... I really want to easily edit it. Is there a way to use a pokeemerald rom in this porgramme (or something similar)?

The only programs I know of that can be used with pokeemerald are PoryMap for map editing and the Decomp Trainer Editor for, well, editing trainers.
    I'm currently working on something similar to YAPE for pokeemerald, but I probably won't be done for about a week or so.

Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2022
    The only programs I know of that can be used with pokeemerald are PoryMap for map editing and the Decomp Trainer Editor for, well, editing trainers.
    I'm currently working on something similar to YAPE for pokeemerald, but I probably won't be done for about a week or so.

Oooh, are you planning on making a thread when that is ready?

As for myself, I wrote an overworld sprite editor that I plan to throw on github in the next day or two.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Oooh, are you planning on making a thread when that is ready?

As for myself, I wrote an overworld sprite editor that I plan to throw on github in the next day or two.

I'll definitely be making a thread for it as soon as it's done! Hopefully people will find it useful, since I was finding it super tedious to go through like 8 files just to change a Pokemon's name, haha.

Looking forward to seeing your overworld editor!

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • I'll definitely be making a thread for it as soon as it's done! Hopefully people will find it useful, since I was finding it super tedious to go through like 8 files just to change a Pokemon's name, haha.

To change a Pokémon's name you just need to modify src/data/text/species_names.h though.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    To change a Pokémon's name you just need to modify src/data/text/species_names.h though.

Apologies, I meant more along the lines of replacing a Pokemon entirely, so like changing [SPECIES_x] in a bunch of different files.

EDIT: And when the program is done, it'll obviously have more functionality than just changing [SPECIES_x] in a bunch of files, the goal is to provide a nice user experience for editing everything, not just names.

Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2022
    I'll definitely be making a thread for it as soon as it's done! Hopefully people will find it useful, since I was finding it super tedious to go through like 8 files just to change a Pokemon's name, haha.

Yeah, I had a very similar experience with things like sprites. My wife is working on the hack with me and she has ~0.001 experience coding, so anything touching multiple files is difficult for her to navigate.

I may not get around to posting the thread for a few days, but here is a preview I sent to a friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Yeah, I had a very similar experience with things like sprites. My wife is working on the hack with me and she has ~0.001 experience coding, so anything touching multiple files is difficult for her to navigate.
    Similar situation here--I'm working my hack with a bunch of my friends who have no prior coding experience. Hopefully finishing the tool will help make things easier for everybody involved in my hack and some of the decomp community.

I may not get around to posting the thread for a few days, but here is a preview I sent to a friend.
    Wow, looks great! I'll be looking forward to using it.

Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2021
    With Battle engine can I completely edit a trainer's team? That is, IVs, EVs, ability, among others.

pokefreak890

The One that will make everything great
    Years
    • Seen May 18, 2023
    hello ive come back and havent been in the rom hacking scene in a few years so my question is how do i go about installing it properly ive read INSTALL.MD and im confused on it completley im not gonna lie any help would be appreciated

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • hello ive come back and havent been in the rom hacking scene in a few years so my question is how do i go about installing it properly ive read INSTALL.MD and im confused on it completley im not gonna lie any help would be appreciated

First, you should learn how to build Pokeemerald to test the waters and get a taste of working with the decomps.
    You have plenty of sources for that.
    https://github.com/pret/pokeemerald/blob/master/INSTALL.md
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=432351
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=426921
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=425246

Then you can check out my tutorial to set up DizzyEgg's branches and follow it as you see fit.
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=432321

Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2021
    Another user posted their trainer editor, I haven't used it yet but there are multiple things you can edit:
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=434277

This one also contains a trainer editor:
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=435237

Thank you very much for that information, but my question was if with Batle_Engine_V2 I could edit the trainers' pokémon but in detail... Normally you can only get to edit, IVs, move set and item but, I would like to edit beyond that like the Evs, the pokemon genre, nature and other things.
    I guess Battle_Engine_V2 doesn't have that by default...

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2023
    Thank you very much for that information, but my question was if with Batle_Engine_V2 I could edit the trainers' pokémon but in detail... Normally you can only get to edit, IVs, move set and item but, I would like to edit beyond that like the Evs, the pokemon genre, nature and other things.
    I guess Battle_Engine_V2 doesn't have that by default...

Ah yeah I maybe should have specified that I didn't think it was possible using the battle engine before suggesting alternatives haha, sorry I can't really help. Wish I had the knowledge to make an editor myself!

pokefreak890

The One that will make everything great
    Years
    • Seen May 18, 2023
    I've tried both setups and got stuck on the agbcc part for both I'm not sure what do to I've even uninstalled everything and retried it and I'm still getting this issue

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2021
    Is there a tutorial for the installation of this and item & pokemon expansion? Apparently this version of battle engine is installed differently from the older version. Because the folders are different.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • Is there a tutorial for the installation of this and item & pokemon expansion? Apparently this version of battle engine is installed differently from the older version. Because the folders are different.
    I suppose that by "old version" you're talking about the EBEU.
    Yes, that is a different, old, and completely separate project. It's not related to the decomps in any way and it's no longer being developed either.

To answer the question, I wrote a tutorial teaching how to set up a copy of Pokeemerald with those 3 branches. You would have found it if you took a minute to look around the Decomp & Disassembly section, or even just a few posts above on this same page of the thread.
    https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=432321

Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2023
    I'm using this battle engine and this post about soft level caps in my hack. For some reason, double wild battles seem to give EXP based only on the first pokémon -- is this how the engine is supposed to work? It seems weird to me, but I can't find anything about how double wild battles give EXP.

More details:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Back