• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokeemerald] Battle Engine Upgrade

Years
  • Emerald Battle Engine V.2

Remember that one? As promised, I present you an even better, more polished and completed decomp version of an upgraded battle system.

Features:

* Physical / Special Split
    Whether a move is physical or special is no longer decided by its type. Each move has individually assigned split.
    Spoiler:

* Updated Moves and Abilities effects
    Be it move's pp, power or Growth increasing Atk and Sp.Atk by 2 stages in the sun, all effects were updated to the latest gens' standard.
    Spoiler:

* Fairy Type
    Inserted and assigned to all Pokemon and moves for your convenience.
    Spoiler:

* New Moves, Abilities and Items
    All moves, abilities and battle items up to gen7 have been inserted.

* Triple Pokemon Types in-battle
    For Trick-Or-Treat and Forest's Curse effect, and made simple to create new moves or effects in the same fashion.

* Dual-type moves
    As Flying Press is both flying-fighting. Just as the triple types feature, it was coded so creating new moves with the same effect is easy as pie for everyone.

* New Learnsets
    As taken from gen 7 games.

* Double Wild Battles
    Like in Gen 5 games, you can set-up special grassy areas for two vs two wild Pokemon battles.
    Spoiler:

* AI
    Smarter than ever, with support for all the new added stuff.

* Ability pop-up
    Whenever a Pokemon's ability activates, a pop-up window appears like in gen 6.
    Spoiler:

* Experience on catch
    Catching a wild Pokemon grants experience points as well.

* Faster battle intro
    Now the text can print at the same time as Pokemon animate.
    Spoiler:

* Config file
    For turning on/off and configuring various features, and compatibility with item/pokemon expansion projects. See /include/constants/battle_config.h for more information.

* Mega Evolution
    Supported in link and recorded battles with cool-looking assets.
    Spoiler:

* Mid-battle Trainer messages
    Make your trainers interrupt a battle in key moments with a witty one-liner or an amazement message.
    Spoiler:

Read this post for how to set them up.

* Custom Multi battles
    Remember the battle in Mossdeep City where you team up with Steven? Now you can create as many battles like this as you want. Team up with an AI partner to fight two wild Pokemon, two trainers or just one trainer.

Read this awesome post to learn how to script them.
    Spoiler:

Download:
    The project is open-source and can be found here. All bugs and glitches are in the 'Issues' section. If you find one that's not there, please let me know so it can be quickly fixed!
    https://github.com/rh-hideout/pokeemerald-expansion/tree/master

Credits:
    Spoiler:

This post will be constantly updated.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    This looks amazing! All the great features you added are much appreciated and I'm sure many will use your decomp battle engine. can I ask for adding one more feature? the port of the BW2 Repel system?

Years
  • This looks amazing! All the great features you added are much appreciated and I'm sure many will use your decomp battle engine. can I ask for adding one more feature? the port of the BW2 Repel system?

I may add BW2 Repel some time, but as a standalone repo. This is a battle engine after all, not a overall-improvement patch. :P

thedarkdragon11

New World Pirate
    Years
  • Awesome! How about Zen Mode and Ash-Greninja? Or Primal Reversion and Ultra Burst? Also, any chance for the pre-battle VS screen with VS sprites, and Z-moves and Partner Power?

Last edited:

Wesley FG

Pokémon Kalos Advance !! Gba Hack
    Years
  • One noob question. I can replace if i use the old version battle engine ?

Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    One noob question. I can replace if i use the old version battle engine ?

i'm pretty sure this is specifically for pokeemerald, so i don't think you would be able to upgrade the old version into this without using a pokeemerald base.

this looks really nice so far, especially the ability pop-ups. i would suggest adding an apostrophe to them, though- "heracross's moxie" as opposed to just "heracross moxie," since that's the syntax in the canon games.

Wesley FG

Pokémon Kalos Advance !! Gba Hack
    Years
  • i'm pretty sure this is specifically for pokeemerald, so i don't think you would be able to upgrade the old version into this without using a pokeemerald base.

this looks really nice so far, especially the ability pop-ups. i would suggest adding an apostrophe to them, though- "heracross's moxie" as opposed to just "heracross moxie," since that's the syntax in the canon games.

sorry for the noob question.
    i m off about rom hacking 6 month and it surprise me.

Nice work. i will test it when have time.

BLAx501!

Pokemon Flux
    Years
  • This is an awesome work. There's no point on describing how great each feature seems to me so the appropriate words are THANK YOU! :D

I have one question though. Is it there a way to make scripted battles such as the Ralts encounter with Wally on Petalburg City?

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2021
    Hey, I'm actually having trouble with the Gen 7 abilities not working. I've tested it with the surge abilities and disguise. It says the pokemon has the ability but it doesnt do anything when the ability should trigger.

Years
  • Hey, I'm actually having trouble with the Gen 7 abilities not working. I've tested it with the surge abilities and disguise. It says the pokemon has the ability but it doesnt do anything when the ability should trigger.

Not all abilities are done yet.

EDIT: I added Surge Abilities in since they weren't too much of a hassle. Disguise is more complex, so it'll take more time.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2023
    I'm speachless, this is godlike work! While I spend with a bunch of tutorials 6 hours to make and NPC say the level of my first pokemon you contributed to something like this. I aplaud you for your work.

Dziękuję.

Edit: Also,
    Do I notice correctly that v1 uses binary modifications while v2 uses the pret emerald dissasembly ?

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm speachless, this is godlike work! While I spend with a bunch of tutorials 6 hours to make and NPC say the level of my first pokemon you contributed to something like this. I aplaud you for your work.
    Dziękuję.
    Thank you for such kind words, glad you like it. That 'Dziękuję' was definitely not something I didn't expect seeing here, haha.
    And don't worry if it takes you long time to do relatively simple things at first, as with everything, it gets better with practice.
    Edit: Also,
    Do I notice correctly that v1 uses binary modifications while v2 uses the pret emerald dissasembly ?
    You are correct. I switched to decomps a while ago and advise anyone doing the same. There are countless advantages of working with source code.

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2019
    Is it possible to make so the HP bars disappear when there's an attack animation going on in the screen, like it happens in Gen 4 and beyond?

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2019
    Ok, I thought I had it figured out but I can't seem to get this to compile, when I run 'make' it starts to work but then I get this message
    /bin/bash: tools/mapjson/mapjson.exe: No such file or directory
    make: *** [map_data_rules.mk:29: data/layouts/layouts.inc] Error 127

EDIT:
    It's fixed, I had accidentally copied in an old version of the 'pokeruby-tools' folder

Last edited:

Delta231

A noob
    Years
  • Ok, I thought I had it figured out but I can't seem to get this to compile with pokeemerald. I've copied the files into the pokeemerald folder and when I run 'make' it starts to work but then I get this message
    /bin/bash: tools/mapjson/mapjson.exe: No such file or directory
    make: *** [map_data_rules.mk:29: data/layouts/layouts.inc] Error 127

Any ideas?
    Did you got the tools from the respective repository?

Marky Vigoroth

...I just liked the Skarmory icon.
    Years
  • My favourite part is the ability pop-up.

In all, I thank you so much in delivering this! I mean, the progress on the disassembly, while anticipated, is still surprising!

Crizzle

Legend
    Years
  • Is it me or is the config file ( /include/constants/battle_config.h), not in the repo?

Back