• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Battle Styles: Shift VS Set

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    It's always shift for me. I've tried set before, but that didn't click with me, as I enjoy choosing what Pokémon to use next in a battle and what not to.

Years
    I've always been playing with "set". I thought "shift" means that I can't choose Pokemon I want to switch to, and it'll switch to the next Pokemon in line instead. I had no idea that I actually made my life harder.
    Now when I know the truth, I like "set" mode more anyway. "Shift" sounds like cheating to me, so I won't use it.

Last edited:

Sirfetch’d

I've always changed mine to set whenever I play. Shift makes the games way too easy for me and set makes it feel like a more competitive setting, which I really like. Sometimes if I need to train up a really low leveled Pokemon and I want to get them in freely between turns then sure, I will use shift.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    I've nearly always gone with Shift as the default. I have tried Set but usually I just stick to the default. If I replay a game for a challenge (and to try pokes I have't used before) I go with monotype teams.

I agree that the option should remain for those who want it, and would be surprised if they ever made Set the default... in the main games anyway. Colosseum and XD was basically all doubles so with 3rd gen mechanics new pokes were often sent out in the middle of a turn, haha.

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2016
    I used to always play the shift battle style. But recently, in my first playthrough of Black 2 I decided to go with Set and it makes the game much more challenging and rewarding. To begin, it makes each battle feel like a somewhat competitive battle as long as you are not extremely over-leveled. Therefore, competitively viable move sets are necessary even though competitively viable Pokemon may not be. Additionally, at least in Black 2, the computer likes to make predictions. It's amazing how many times I've switched into a super-effective attack. For, example, I send out Heatmor as my lead against a Roselia lead. The computer senses a bad type matchup or gets KO'd by Heatmor. Then, the computer sends out Basculin, so I switch out Heatmor in favor of Sawsbuck. Then, the opposing Basculin all the sudden uses Ice Beam and KO's my Sawsbuck. It makes the game more challenging especially in the post game material where the Pokemon are very high leveled.

Because I am looking to make teams that are competitively viable in the future I think that I will stick with the set battle style from here on out.

Flower

✿ flower keeper ✿
    Years
    Shift, too lazy to change it hehe c'; just leave it on that since it's the default! Plus I've never used Set, so I'm not used to it at all.

Years
    I've always used Shift but after finding out it's an easier battle style to use, I'll have a go using Set in the future.

Socratic

Howdy
    Years
    As a default, I go with Shift, but I barely ever change my Pokemon anyway :p When I do any challenges I choose Set, however. I think that if I were trying to raise up levels in a challenge, I might change it, to make it easier.

Years
    I turned the game to Set once and it just didn't feel right playing like that, I've always played on Shift for as long as I've been playing Pokemon and I guess I'm just used to it haha.

Back