• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

BBC: Canada primed for snap election (Your voting too eh?)

Which party are you voting for?

• Liberal Party

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Conservative Party

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Other Third Party

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    It should be enough. You just need the voter card and your driver's license (or any other form of ID). And if you have neither you can have someone vouch for you. I didn't have a voter card for the Provincial one, so my mom had to say that I am who I say I am.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Oh. That's easy then. :\ Haha, the way they were so ominous in the "PLZ VOTE" commercials on the radio I heard everyday, I assumed you needed some crazy stuff like passports or something. 8(

Years
    Heh...

Oh. That's easy then. :\ Haha, the way they were so ominous in the "PLZ VOTE" commercials on the radio I heard everyday, I assumed you needed some crazy stuff like passports or something. 8(

With the Global Economy & Trade as it is, how can the "PLZ VOTE" commercials not be ominous? :P

You Canadians are lucky. The Negative and smear ad attacks are finally over with the campaigns ending in Vancouver, BC yesterday. To bad we still have to endure the Lies that both campaigns are spewing out here in the US. It's getting tiresome already.
    I can't wait to find out the results and see if it's another Minority Government. Seriously one of the parties should get a majority since the you guys won't be able to react properly to the unfolding economic earthquake without a unified response.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
    I don't think I could stand all that campaigning that is in the US. You've had people running around for what, 23 years now? ...oh, only 23 months? XD well our election was announced a little over a month ago. XD

I just came from voting for my first time, at, to my surprise, the elementary school across from my place! XD There was no Anarchist Party, unfortunately, but the Marxist and Marijuana Parties were on my ballot.

I went and voted NDP. I think Jack Layton can do some good things for us, though unfortunately he doesn't have a chance of winning. That said, he could very well be the Opposition Leader. =D

I have never supported the Conservatives, and I never will. I'll just leave it at that though, heh.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Because your parties have new leaders every election (well...not for the one who is in power). Our leaders stay around for ages. We don't need to know more about them.

Years
    Heh...

Because your parties have new leaders every election (well...not for the one who is in power). Our leaders stay around for ages. We don't need to know more about them.
    Lucky, So you guys really know who your voting for eh? well Canada is a lot less diverse than the US so some things are much easier to do...

Keitaro

Urashima
    Years
    Well I was going to vote for the Canadian Action Party easily; however nobody was representing them at my local so I voted NDP, despite disagreeing with them on some issues. Layton at least claims he is against a Carbon Tax & North American Union, wouldn't be surprised though if he goes back on his word like most politicians. I had to take that risk in voting for the NDP party though because voting for Liberal/Conservative pretty much guarantees that there will be either a NAU under Harper or a Carbon Tax under Dion.

Years
    Ugh...

Well I was going to vote for the Canadian Action Party easily; however nobody was representing them at my local so I voted NDP, despite disagreeing with them on some issues. Layton at least claims he is against a Carbon Tax & North American Union, wouldn't be surprised though if he goes back on his word like most politicians. I had to take that risk in voting for the NDP party though because voting for Liberal/Conservative pretty much guarantees that there will be either a NAU under Harper or a Carbon Tax under Dion.

The concept of a NAU is scary... I just don't see how it will fly...with America's majority being generally against undocumented immigrants (with deep-rooted prejudices being the reason) it's highly unlikely that the US and Canadian Legislative Branches would ever allow it, Along with the Judicial Branches. Politicians will be Politicians, they have to have the "flexibility" (or flip-flop capabilities, take your choice) for compromise, since the government cannot move forward without some kind of Majority consensus...:(

Edit: If you guys can, Please post the Election Result since I usually check out PC first...Bye for now...

Last edited:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    How on earth does Harper guarantee a North American Union?

The only thing I can think of that could remotely support that is when he said it was not a "generally expressed concern" last summer. And that's only if you take it out of context. It's not a generally expressed concern as in there's nothing to worry about and it's not going to happen.

The only thing that could change is standardization of manufacturing procedures. That's all. And those are discussions that are simply continuing from the last Liberal government. Basic trading discussions.

I have no idea what being on the right has do with selling out to America? Just because a Republican is in power right now in the States? If say...Layton wins and Obama wins in the States are people going to say Layton is going to sell us out to the States because now the politics match? No. They didn't do it when the Liberals were in power and the Clinton was in power.

I don't get this horrendous double standard. Having right-wing politics doesn't make you evil.

Years
    Preliminary Results

The official election site of Canada is streaming results of the election. As of right now the Conservatives are winning.

I am against the idea of the North American Union because if it reduce American sovereignty. For example the United States is more liberal when it comes to free speech.

Keitaro

Urashima
    Years
    How on earth does Harper guarantee a North American Union?

The only thing I can think of that could remotely support that is when he said it was not a "generally expressed concern" last summer. And that's only if you take it out of context. It's not a generally expressed concern as in there's nothing to worry about and it's not going to happen.

The only thing that could change is standardization of manufacturing procedures. That's all. And those are discussions that are simply continuing from the last Liberal government. Basic trading discussions.

I have no idea what being on the right has do with selling out to America? Just because a Republican is in power right now in the States? If say...Layton wins and Obama wins in the States are people going to say Layton is going to sell us out to the States because now the politics match? No. They didn't do it when the Liberals were in power and the Clinton was in power.

I don't get this horrendous double standard. Having right-wing politics doesn't make you evil.

Well let me address the first question before responding to your little rant there.

I admit I was a bit careless with my words, perhaps had I said it is more likely another Harper term would lead to a North American Union maybe I wouldn't have tugged on others emotion strings. However I still stand by my point and believe a Harper government will lead to a North American Union. I've heard plenty of times in his speeches supporting free trade (light term for NAFTA); I remember when he defended NAFTA alongside Bush & Calderon and even last year when he actually spoke on the Council on Foreign Relations. I'm skeptical when it comes to sites like this claiming he endorses the CFR >>> https://www.princegeorgecitizen.com...ent&task=view&id=154355&pop=1&page=0&Itemid=1 yet am not amused when people in anyway shape or form get involved with the CFR.

As a response to your rant, I never said anything-stereotypical involving democrats or republicans; I'm merely going off the basis of what I know about the candidates. In my opinion Democrats/Republicans are the same and should be held both accountable for whatever mess they've gotten us into. I remember an old saying about American politics two party system, something like one is the dumb candidate, while the other is evil and every once and awhile they unite to create a evil-dumb idea or something like that, lol.

In any case I hope I didn't mean any offense, appologize for my lazy usage of words. I've never considered it like Rep vs Dem more as People vs Gov. and respect my fellow Canadian neighbors.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    No harm taken. The second half of my "rant" was more addressing overall stuff from this thread and the US thread - not specifically you. I should've put like a "--" or something to separate it.

If you have problems with NAFTA, all power to you. But NAFTA is very different than a union - as that includes politics in addition to economics.

Cherrim

Years
    Conservative minority get.

Can't say I'm really suprised. With the polls leaning toward BQ so heavily in Quebec, it did look like the Conservatives were going to lose a lot of seats there even though it was my understanding that they were going to try to, you know, get more of them. 8/ I don't like Harper in the least, but I was kind of hoping for a majority government to justify this election (he got closer but... I don't know, I still feel this wasn't quite worth the money spent on this election :|), plus I feel with the economy the way it is, a majority government could just be more beneficial than delaying decisions somewhat in order to appease the opposition. Or something.

Also, lowest voter turn out ever. What was it, 58%, down from a previous low of 62.8%? Maybe I was expecting a little too much, but with the economy as shaky as it is, I figured more people would turn up, or have an opinion. :/

One thing I found amusing--I was watching the live coverage on CBC last night. After the votes started coming in, he didn't get to say much, but I bet Canada's the only country who would have a comedian in the group doing the official coverage of the national media company. Haha, I love Rick Mercer.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    So, we ended up just where Harper said we would. Started this saying stronger minority. Yesterday, they said between 140 and 145 seats. Ended the night with 143 and a stronger minority.
    I still think the point of this was to weaken the Liberals significantly. Seems to have worked. Worst Liberal loss I think it was (or second worst). With opposition hit (and Canada pretty much voting for him again), hopefully things won't be delayed this time around.

I don't think the Tories or the Liberals lost very much in Quebec - the Bloc only have two extra seats than last time. But, it still bugs me. The NDP and Liberals combined make 113 seats, the conservatives have 143. 12 short from a majority. And the Conservatives even managed to pick up seats in the 905 for once! I blame Quebec XD

We're still a minority, but a stronger one. Conservatives are up about 15, Liberals are down 20. NDP up 7.

I don't get the low turnout. It certainly doesn't seem hard to believe that more people would vote (for whoever) since tough times are approaching. But, wow. That's sad. It's a Tuesday, what were people doing that were more important. O_o

And I missed the beginning of all this because I was doing homework upstairs. Mercer was on it? XD

Last edited:

Cherrim

Years
    And I still don't believe for a second that Harper wasn't trying to go for a majority in the first place. :(

I thought the Conservatives weren't taken very seriously in Quebec? BQ's party had a LOT of support, to the point where their campaign took a turn to stop "slandering" the other parties and to tell people to go out and vote because they didn't want everyone to see the early polls and assume they didn't need to bother voting. XD; Not to mention half the things Harper said didn't sit well with the province, I'd heard. Winning in the 905 area code (and Toronto) is important but... so is Quebec. o_O; Haha, I know that "nobody likes the arts rawr" quote is something everyone hated there but I forget what the other issue was that lost him a lot of votes.

Yeah, they were saying before I went to bed that it was looking like it would be a low turnout, possibly record-breaking, but they didn't have enough votes to say. I find it amazing that it WAS record-breaking though. I mean... sure, sometimes the big issues on the table aren't that interesting and I can see being listless with your vote in that case but this election seemed so much more important than that. Why are people so stupid? :(

Though I know in at least one downtown TO riding, some voters had a poll location that didn't exist and thus couldn't vote. XD

Mercer was there in '06, too. They had some comedic stuff to start out before any results were coming in. Mercer had a spot in the circle of desks with all the other important people. Didn't get to say all that much after everything was underway but he liked to randomly stare at the camera and wink. D8

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Fair enough. XD I'm just giving the "official" position. Even if it's just political nonsense.

The Conservatives were aiming for Quebec and things were looking in their favour (not to overtake the Provence or anything, but at least secure a few more seats) until he mentioned the cut to art welfare. lol

The low turn out just dumbfounds me. I think global economic instability would be a pretty big issue. XD

One thing I find very interesting... In Oshawa, where a lot of manufacturing jobs were lost, not only did they vote Conservative but they re-elected the Conservative finance minister!

Cherrim

Years
    Well he's obviously not gonna admit he's going for majority in case, like today, he'd have to eat his words. :P

I thought there was something else that turned Quebec off aside from the art funding cut or whatever. :( Maybe there wasn't and I just don't know what I'm talking about. Oh well, fact remains they don't like him, ahaha. I doubt the few seats he might've potentially scored there anyway would have tipped him into a majority anyway though.

I don't get why more people wouldn't vote. Are they not reaching to youth voters? I think all the parties have, like, Twitters. :( A Facebook link is right on the Conservative website, too. C'mon, Canada, parliament is ttly hip and happening.

Manufacturing jobs are lost all the time. :/ Haha, I'll admit I haven't been paying attention to that area of the news much at all recently so maybe that's why it doesn't come as a surprise to me.

Years
    oh my...

Well he's obviously not gonna admit he's going for majority in case, like today, he'd have to eat his words. :P

I thought there was something else that turned Quebec off aside from the art funding cut or whatever. :( Maybe there wasn't and I just don't know what I'm talking about. Oh well, fact remains they don't like him, ahaha. I doubt the few seats he might've potentially scored there anyway would have tipped him into a majority anyway though.

I don't get why more people wouldn't vote. Are they not reaching to youth voters? I think all the parties have, like, Twitters. :( A Facebook link is right on the Conservative website, too. C'mon, Canada, parliament is ttly hip and happening.

Manufacturing jobs are lost all the time. :/ Haha, I'll admit I haven't been paying attention to that area of the news much at all recently so maybe that's why it doesn't come as a surprise to me.

ANOTHER MINORITY GOVERNMENT! LOW VOTER TURNOUT! I expected better Canadians XD Due to the Global economic crisis...:(

Though in contrast the US elections are expected to have record-breaking turnout due to the heavy campaigning and appeal of both Candidates.

And yeah the Canadian Parliament is ttly hip and hapinin' ROTFL :P :P :P

Back