• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Beard trend is 'guided by evolution'

Years
  • Spoiler:

So beards are in - or are they out? Do you agree with the premise of the article, that facial hair tastes are guided by evolutionary forces? What do you think are the major forces this time around - the contradiction between wanting to look unique yet popular? Amping up the masculinity in tough economic times?

What do you think about fashion tastes in general? Do you think people spend too much time and thought on how they look? What do you think about our desire to be unique or speshul? Do we take it too far at times?

My own afterthoughts: the paradox in wanting to be unique yet popular is very interesting. I think it's been socially symbolized in the hipster subculture - the mainstreaming of the non-mainstream.

excerpts taken from: https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-27023992

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
    Years
  • I honestly don't really get fashion trends, and often times I do my best to evade them... also, I don't think I really agree with these scientists on this relation to evolution - because how would evolution prefer the negative frequency? Going for the frequent species would be a far safer bet, because those have survived so far...

BTW, you're really on a streak with these new topics today! I like it :)

Belldandy

[color=teal][b]Ice-Type Fanatic[/b][/color]
    Years
  • It's interesting, but I personally dislike facial and chest hair lol I can't stand burlesque men. Sure, it's "manly" I suppose (or symbolic of masculinity, really), but I just find it so... unclean. Especially on younger men, it just looks absurd to me.

My boyfriend complains about not being able to grow a full-fledged beard. He grew his beard out for Movember and completely lacked a mustache, and his actual beard hair didn't extend past maybe a centimetre. I prefer it that way. Stubbles and slight roughness is cute and sexy. Full beards are... bleh.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • As a beard-bearer myself, I'd like to think that it all depends on the quality of the beard. If the beard is patchy, it most likely doesn't look to good and thus will not win the appeal of the opposite sex. However, if the beard is symmetrical, thick, and looks good, than I believe there would be appeal there. My beard comes in pretty well and I've had people of the opposite sex tell me that they think it's attractive, so I'd like to think that the study is accurate.

I'm actually more curious about the "the more people with facial hair the less attraction" study that's going on. More specifically, I'm curious if that works with when puberty kicks in at such a young age - like middle school - and if the response is still true. I feel like kids like to sport "mustaches" when they first start to grow them, and I wonder if the younger generation of girls actually likes this or not because so few of them have facial hair at that young of an age.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I've always thought beards were horrible and I never understood the fashion trend, so if it's true that it's really coming to an end (and you know these people are probably right because, you know, science) then that makes me very, very happy.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Facial hair is not my thing. Would prefer it if I didn't have any and I'm not really attracted to anyone who does. Body hair is just an evolutionary holdover for when we humans relied on it to protect us from the elements. We've been slowly losing it as the human race has developed more effective ways of protecting ourselves from the elements and body hair has just become less necessary.

Tek

Years
  • I don't shave, I trim. Somewhere between stubble and beard is my norm. I think I'll just wait out the cycle.

Sir Codin

Wow, apparently beards are no longer considered a sign of virility, desirable, and a blessing from the powers themselves.

Truly society has fallen from grace.

Last edited:

Sage Ebock

Squirtle Squad 4 life
    Years
  • My beard has helped me survive this incredible Michigan winter. I will grow more beard for each unbearded male our world produces! Beards will live on long after humanity has passed into dust.
    I am considering deadlocking my beard like my hair, so its even more intense.... only time will tell

Years
  • It's interesting, but I personally dislike facial and chest hair lol I can't stand burlesque men. Sure, it's "manly" I suppose (or symbolic of masculinity, really), but I just find it so... unclean. Especially on younger men, it just looks absurd to me.

My boyfriend complains about not being able to grow a full-fledged beard. He grew his beard out for Movember and completely lacked a mustache, and his actual beard hair didn't extend past maybe a centimetre. I prefer it that way. Stubbles and slight roughness is cute and sexy. Full beards are... bleh.

Reading this was interesting untill the part with the boyfriend xD

Toutebelle

Banned
    Years
  • I've always thought beards were horrible and I never understood the fashion trend, so if it's true that it's really coming to an end (and you know these people are probably right because, you know, science) then that makes me very, very happy.

My dad has a beard and he's not horrible-looking.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Going to the original topic, beards and evolution...I don't think it's true, because I generally don't have much faith in evolutionary psychology. We live in a world that bombards us with messages about society day in and day out, 24 hours, shaping who we are as we grow up. I find it highly unlikely that the thing that informs our fashion choice aren't these influences we're constantly around, but an instinct. Especially considering we're the only animal that actually removes things that naturally grow on our body like beards (I believe), so I doubt our animal ancestry was designed for us to shave in certain circumstances and grow it out in other circumstances.

Last edited:

bulbakush

Spends Time In Other Realms!!!
    Years
  • Well there's allot to talk about when it comes to beards. I have never seen anybody just look at a bearded man. They stare in disgust and aoutomatically assume
    They are horrible drug users who eat children. I started growing my beard when I was 17 to buy beer with my friends. Eventually I grew fond of it and can't see myself without it now at 25. I always said that back in the day everyone had beards including presidents so why was it a problem in society? I've had job interviews go wrong because they couldn't get over the beard or because they where scared to talk hahahaha. I'm glad to say that I am a tall long haired grizzly bearded man who works and provides for everyone around them to have a better life. Never judge a book by its cover. Anyway beards are quite popular now and since we live in a culture of follow the leader I can see why women would eventually get tired of seeing them. I guess the reactions from women that see me with a beard are 50/50. People like what they like. I wouldn't think that this is a reason to run for a razor if your looking to hook up. Remember gentlemen, the key to a woman's heart is your
    Words followed by your actions. If she can't get passed something like facial hair, that's prob a girl you wouldn't want to be with(as far as maturity goes).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Dads are meant to have beards, people our age are not.
    People our age would be parents in past times.

Especially considering we're the only animal that actually removes things that naturally grow on our body like beards (I believe)
    Some colonial insect, I think termites, will remove the wings of a male who enters the nest to mate with the queen, as I recall. So, the natural world does have room for body modification, but indeed humans may be the only species to perform it outside of such specific circumstances.

Sage Ebock

Squirtle Squad 4 life
    Years
  • The beard does not make the man,

It is the man who makes the beard.

Evolutionarily speaking we have recently entered a new age of homo sapiens dominance over the globe. Currently we are on top (arguably). See, we have a pattern we work with. We develop technology, then we mass harvest what we need to make/sustain that technology, and in the process we change the surface of the planet constantly. We even alter its weather patterns.

I've always felt strange that we as humans tend to be favoring total baldness over hairy and sturdy lol

But hey, if hairy and sturdy is less of what we need to survive, who am i to disagree??? :P

Back