• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Bedroom privacy!

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Do you think teenagers (and early adults) should have the right to have a lock on their bedroom door if they're still living at home? Why or why not?

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    I think that they have a right to have a lock. I have one, but I never use it. I mean, it takes like two seconds to picklock the bedroom doors in my house.. so it doesn't accomplish much. But yeah, we are all entitled to our privacy, regardless of our age.

Years
    I personally don't think so (though I wouldn't mind one to keep my kleptomaniac sibling out), since they don't own the property. If they are paying rent to their parents/guardians, though, they should be able to have whatever kind of lock they want.

Pazuru

★ [ Fukidokuritsu ]
    Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    Everyone should have the right to privacy, regardless of their age. Though yes it's not nice to lock people out of your room when you're mad at them, taking away ones right for privacy can just upset the teenager even more, especially considering that at that age, teenagers are either a: really active, b: likes to be alone a lot or c: a mix of both.

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015
    Yeah every human being has the right to privacy. There are certain exceptions with teens...like doing something they know there not supposed to be doing <_<.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 4, 2018
    Oh gosh I would love a lock, I hate when everyone comes into my room to bother me at times. There is something wrong with this knob however it never locks my dad has tried multiple times to put a lock on it and never accomplished it ): I think it just needs a new door.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I would have sold my soul for a lock for my bedroom door back when I was a teenager. Better yet, an electronic card-key lock like that have at the hotels, so a) it would lock automatically, and b) my parents couldn't get duplicate keys made at the locksmith. But alas, that is all but a pipe dream...

I once considered buying one of those "heavy duty" locks that nothing short of a SWAT team could force open...

Years
    I wish I had my own room and a lock.
    I have a younger sister who steals EVERYTHING. Hairspray, make-up, deodorant, my guitar + picks, anything she finds really. And she uses it all up or loses it. I'm kinda fed up of it tbh.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    Yes, especially if one has parents who barge in without knocking. 8( My mom never quite understood the concept of knocking. Oh, she knocked, but she would knock as she was opening the door. So if I was in various states of undress or something, there was never a chance to say "hey don't come in yet!" or to move out of the line of sight of the door. :| Even just that, nevermind a lock, would've been nice.

Well, I did have a lock but it didn't work. :( Mostly everyone but mom respected that. *sigh*

But I do believe a lock is fine. If it's a lock with a key, both the room owner and the parents should have a copy "just in case" but... if you're having privacy issues, that's not going to be solved by just putting a lock on your door. That's something you've gotta sit down and talk through with your parents. The lock would mostly just be there to keep siblings out and the like. :s

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    I have a room, but without a lock, and it annoys me to no end. Having no privacy makes me feel uneasy and like my dad doesn't trust me, which I know he does. The only good thing about not having a lock is that if I fall and potentially hurt myself, then my dad can help me.

I mean it's not like I do anything I'm not supposed to, but it's nice to have a lock so you don't have everyone in your face all the time.

Last edited:

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I hated my room. I still I hate my room. I never ever hang out in there. So, I don't really care if my parents walk in. They'll be the only ones in there XD

I don't know what you would have in there that you don't want your parents to find. But maybe you shouldn't even have it in the first place :p

If you want a lock, go right ahead. I don't really get it though. If you want privacy, I think just asking for it and having a discussion with your parents might be better. Or knocking. Or something. Some kind of level of respect.

The Cynic

♥ These Perfect Abattoirs ♥
    Years
    Yes they should be allowed to lock their doors.

It's about respecting privacy and respecting boundries. Everyone needs time to themselves.

My mum never let me have a lock on my door. :cer_blankstare: She also never let me really have any privacy. I however moved out as soon as I finished school and am SO happy now!

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    Locks vs Siblings = Very good reason to have a lock.

Lock vs Ignorant Parents = Very good reason to have a lock.

My mother played the "Let me barge in every 5 minutes un-announced so I can try and catch a glimpse of what you're doing." game

So I played the "Everytime you forget to knock I lock the door when you leave so you have no choice anymore" game

Worst part was she never seemed to get why I was not happy to have her barge in. It's as if she thought she was invisible.

Back