• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best Defensive Pokemon?

JonnyPhoenyx

Steel Trainer and Proud
    Years
    Hey gang,
    Whats the best defensive pokemon? Or at least your favorite. You know, with the highest defense and sp. defense stats? I need one to round out my team against the elite four in Diamond. (Includes all 1-493 pokemon)

Naito

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2013
    An EV trained Arceus.

Hm, probably something like Registeel (It does the Nazi salute though), or Regirock/Regice.

Blissy obviously has the highest HP though...

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    An EV trained Arceus.

Hm, probably something like Registeel (It does the Nazi salute though), or Regirock/Regice.

Blissy obviously has the highest HP though...

lolol, arceus is uber, so don't use it anyway Jonny... ;D

"defense" is skarmory, steelix, even miltank, suicune, many other various steels
    Special defense is blissey, snorlax, suicune, vaporeon....

EDIT: even though these are tier great walls, I heard you can trade national dex pokemon over to it for the E4, my best friend used national dex pokemon in the first E4, so I believe you can...

If not, you really just need highlevel pokemon for it, vespiqueen is a nice one, and so is sprititomb if you dont do the above ones

Last edited:

Naito

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2013
    lolol, arceus is uber, so don't use it anyway Jonny... ;D

You're right there. But he did say he's just using a wall for the E4. They're easy this time around, but are annoying with average leveled teams.

~~~

If you're not into tiers, go for whatever you want. I ended up just using a random team (level 58 Infernape, level 60 Staraptor, level 53 Luxray, level 55 Dialga, level 57 Floatzel, level 58 Roserade).

Worked pretty well, though the champ's Lucario massacared Staraptor and Dialga. Roserade had Toxic Spikes at the time, so I stalled to death.

~~~

Steels and rocks primarly focus on either defence or attack, so try Steelix or something. Your main threats are Cynthia's Lucario/Garchomp/Miltoic and Flint's team then. Check out Smogon, and look for decent Pokemon. I see you use AR as well, so getting them won't be a problem.

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2008
    Hm, for fighting the elite 4 eh? IMO it's better just to get a bunch of sweepers that can KO all of the Pokemon with supereffective hits, tanks require too many items to mantain in the Elite 4. But if you still want a defensive Pokemon...
    Well the best two are Lugia and Giratina, but you're going to have a time getting either of those before you beat the E4. Y'know, Dialga makes a pretty good wall with its typing. The only two real OU mixed walls (or so I've heard) are Dusknoir and Cresselia.

Naito

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2013
    Well the best two are Lugia and Giratina, but you're going to have a time getting either of those before you beat the E4. Y'know, Dialga makes a pretty good wall with its typing. The only two real OU mixed walls (or so I've heard) are Dusknoir and Cresselia.

You can't get Dusknoir, Cresselia, Lugia, and Giratina before the Elite Four. But his signature says he's a proud user of Action Replay, so that doesn't matter.

Wait... Lugia could be used as a wall? Never really tried it. Also Vileplume makes a somewhat decent mixed wall.

JonnyPhoenyx

Steel Trainer and Proud
    Years
    If memory serves, shuckle wasn't a bad defender. Thanks or all t he tips. The team in my sig is what i currently use. All are Lv 40ish. i'm no into using legendaries at all. I like them, but the feel like cheap wins when i use them. Thanks again. Any other tips for the E4?

Naito

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2013
    Important Tip Alert

Use AR to get them to mid-50s. Or else Cynthia's Garchomp and Lucario (level 63 and 67 respectively) have a decent chance of ruining you unless you stock up on Full Restores and Revives.

FourFourTwo

*used calm mind*
    Years
    • Age 35
    • NYC
    • Seen Dec 23, 2010
    Has nobody said shuckle yet?

Highest defense/special defense out of any pokemon in any game. Lowest speed, though. I've walled so many people with it. I think its the best annoyer/staller in the game.

Shuckle@leftovers
    252 hp, 252 def, 6 sp def
    Nature: +sp.def, -speed

Acupressure
    Knock off
    sandstorm/toxic
    Substitute

Acupressure for raising stats even higher, knock off to take away items such as leftovers, specs, choice bands, you have a choice with sandstorm or toxic.. Sandstorm raises your special defenseand evasivness, but toxic gets hp down quicker.. And substitute + leftovers is deadly with shuckle. Hahaha
    Goodbye attackers.

FourFourTwo

*used calm mind*
    Years
    • Age 35
    • NYC
    • Seen Dec 23, 2010
    Yeah I think its called power trick. If you use it, it has the highest attack in the game, except for attack deoxys, I think

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Ewww, shuckle, even though it has like uber defense, its base 20 hp makes it moot.

Cresselia, Suicune, Hippowdon, Gliscor, Skarmory, Blissey, Dusknoir, Bronzong, Snorlax, Weezing, Tangrowth, Vaporeon, Slowbro, Forretress, Celebi, Jirachi, milotic, Regice, Spirtiomb, Shaymin, Uxie, Swampert, Donphan, Zapdos, Bulky gyarados, Tentacruel, Umbreon, drapion, Registeel, Regirock, Mesprit.

Those are some/most of the best in standard play.

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
    Shuckle is my LEAST favorite pokemon ofthem all. A base 20 HP REALLY hurts it's walling abilities, and it can't attack for crap. Sure, it has Knock Off, very annoying, but so does Tentacreul, Tangrowth, Donpphan, etc.

It's just asking for Gya to Taunt it, so it can charge up. Plus, anything that bypasses defense WILL kill that pokemon, with it's laughable HP. I can't believe it, but it is actually Seismec Toss weak. How can you look at your fellow walls with that?

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
    Because nobody seems to get it yet, SHUCKLE IS USELESS. Sure, he has base 230 defenses, but it's hurt by his 10 base HP and 10 base everything else. He's easily walled, and can't do much to the things he's supposed to wall. And don't even say Power Trick, because the moment Shuckle uses that, an opponent is gonna take advantage of that defense drop and kick his ass.

On topic, the best defensive Pokemon is probably Blissey. Sorry, but it's true. Toxic or Thunder Wave can support the team, Aromatherapy heals status, and Seismic Toss does reliable damage to any Pokemon, requiring no EV investment. And the fact that she can shrug off almost any Special hit.

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
    Because nobody seems to get it yet, SHUCKLE IS USELESS. Sure, he has base 230 defenses, but it's hurt by his 10 base HP and 10 base everything else. He's easily walled, and can't do much to the things he's supposed to wall. And don't even say Power Trick, because the moment Shuckle uses that, an opponent is gonna take advantage of that defense drop and kick his ass.

On topic, the best defensive Pokemon is probably Blissey. Sorry, but it's true. Toxic or Thunder Wave can support the team, Aromatherapy heals status, and Seismic Toss does reliable damage to any Pokemon, requiring no EV investment. And the fact that she can shrug off almost any Special hit.
    \

Thank you!

Shuckle is my LEAST favorite pokemon ofthem all. A base 20 HP REALLY hurts it's walling abilities, and it can't attack for crap. Sure, it has Knock Off, very annoying, but so does Tentacreul, Tangrowth, Donpphan, etc.

It's just asking for Gya to Taunt it, so it can charge up. Plus, anything that bypasses defense WILL kill that pokemon, with it's laughable HP. I can't believe it, but it is actually Seismec Toss weak. How can you look at your fellow walls with that?

My favorite wall is Forretress. One weakness, can eat up attacks, and has other roles. Ties with Skarmory.

Naito

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2013
    Yea, I tried a Shuckle wall in PBR and D/P recently, it's a waste. The low attack and HP doesn't do anything for it (by level 20, it stops getting points in speed and attack, plus by level 50, it only has like 60 HP). Any decent sweeper will destroy it, expecially something that can counter it's Bug/Rock combination such as Infernape.

Blissey is pretty much the best Wall out there. Excellent HP and Sp. Def. Just needs a few EV points in Def and it's set (even though that's not even needed much).

Currently I'm experimenting with walls, and I'm using a Weezing with Will-O-Wisp, Sludge Bomb, Flamethrower, and Haze as a physical wall. Decent so far, and Will-O-Wisp just makes the fact it's a physical even worse. Any stat boosts such as Nasty Plot are removed through Haze, Sludge Bomb is for STAB, and Flamethrower is just there since I need a fire-type other than Infernape and Rapidash. Haven't checked if Sludge Bomb is physical or special yet, so I might switch that out for another move.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2016
    I go Blissley, Then Snorlax.

My Favourite Build for snorlax is

Snorlax@ Leftovers
    Relaxed

Rest
    Snore
    Earthquake
    Flamethrower

Back