• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best DS Console for the DS Pokemon Games

Which DS Console is better form HGSS And Diamond?

• DS Lite

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • DSI

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Other (Please post which DS consOle you recommend)

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

King Gengar

Ghost Hunter
    Years
    Hey everyone,
    I'm sorry if this belongs in the wrong section.
    Anyways so I'm thinking if getting a DS platform.
    DSI or DS lite would be better for HGSS DIAMOND?
    I am not a fan of Pokemon white and black.

I mean DS lite i am able to bring over Pokemon from the first three generations. DSI has Internet capabilities with expanded wireless to get other Pokemon from other people. Idk if DS lite can do the same.

It's also price range for new DS console:
    99 at walmart for DS lite
    150ish? For dsi also at walmart.

So can you guys give me pros and cons and which one DS Consoles I should get?

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    The DSi cannot make any use of its expanded internet functionality when playing Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Heart Gold or Soul Silver. The experience is exactly the same as playing on a DS Lite.

The DSi has nothing worthwhile at this point to justify spending another 50 bucks on it - only slightly enhanced functionality for Black and White versions only.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    What kind of internet security do you have, WEP or WPA? DS Lites can only handle one type, which DSis can handle both, but tbh you don't use the internet much on Diamond and HG/SS I don't think so it's not really relevant. You can easily not use the GTS and be fine on both of those. I wouldn't be able to live without the GBA slot personally, I would want all my old Pokemon, plus the Lite is cheaper, so I would go with that. There's not really a quality difference between the two game-wise anyway.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    If you want to transfer stuff from Gen III, use the DS Lite. If you want more Wi-Fi support (WPA and WEP) if you're doing trades, use the DSi.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    The only Pokemon game that is changed when on the DSi is B/W. Gen IV games are designed for DS Lite and DS Phat, so I recommend them.

Winneon

[b][color=#fb0120]しょう[/color][color=#fc6d24]が[/col
    Years
    I go with DS Original. I have one, and it is more durable. It doesn't support WPA or WPA2, but it has a GBA slot to transfer Pokemon from older games. So I would say your best bet is the DS Original or DS Lite.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Go for Lite rather than the DSi imo - in case of 'newer is better' frankly go for the 3DS (which can play any DS game) rather than the DSi which'd be phased out itself before long anyway.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    If you are able to afford a 3DS, buy that. If not, DS Lite. Don't bother with the original DS or any of the DSi systems - the old DS line is going to get phased out, so getting a non-3DS is going to cut your gaming life short. Especially when DS game release slow down into a trickle, or even stop.

It's usually best to buy a system of matching region. Even though English versions of BW aren't region-locked, it's better to be safe.

As for connectivity... no matter what, you'll want your router set to WEP, because DPPtHGSS doesn't do WPA/WPA2 at all.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    Oh and isn't the DSi(s) region locked, if so go for the DS Lite since they aren't which is good. I seriously don't know why Nintendo had to lock them. x(

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Oh and isn't the DSi(s) region locked, if so go for the DS Lite since they aren't which is good. I seriously don't know why Nintendo had to lock them. x(

Last time I checked, all non-DSi-enhanced games and exactly one pair of DSi-enhanced games (Pokémon Black and White, non-Japanese versions) are not locked on any system.

Whatever you do... If you're buying a DS system now, 3DS, DS Lite or bust.

竜の子

Avy made by Trainer Touko
    Years
    Actually, I'd say 3DS,DsLite and DSi are close to the end.PLus there are a lot of "new" games for the 3DS. I'd go with that

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2011
    I like the dsi XL because of the size (although it is a bit more pixelated), and I love the 3ds because of the thumb-stick :P

NatureKeeper

Well. If you are limited to Generation V, you can go to DS Phat and DS Lite, all DS Systems as of now have maximum compatibility.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
    If you're worried about upcoming pokemon games, then I'd suggest 3DS. Otherwise just go for the cheapest DS available on the market.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Your best bet if you want to play Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, or SoulSilver is to get a DS Lite. There isn't any entended functionality for fourth generation Pokémon games on DSi, plus, if you decide that you'd like to migrate Pokémon, there's still a GBA slot for migrating Pokémon from R/S/E or FireRed and LeafGreen.

Back