• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best OS for non-gaming use

Best OS for non-gaming usage

• Windows

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Mac OS X

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • Linux/BSD/Unix (not OS X)

Votes: 9 28.1%

• Total voters

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    My opinion is a lightweight Linux distribution. If you're just using the computer for standard, everyday tasks, you can get a Linux distribution that starts up fast and lets you do what you need to do quickly. Add some serious security benefits for browsing the internet and you've got a good way to get things done.

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    Windows >_>
    I don't see why people would use Linux isn't really a desktop environment.

蜃気楼

Jirachi Fan
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    Mac or UNIX, Windows runs slow over time.
    There are many good programs on Linux

I used Linux all the time, and it's perfectly fine for me.

Zet

Years
    Windows >_>
    I don't see why people would use Linux isn't really a desktop environment.
    And yet a big population use linux as a desktop environment because it can do more stuff than mac and windows if you know what you're doing.

I have to say linux is the best non-gaming OS

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    And yet a big population use linux as a desktop environment because it can do more stuff than mac and windows if you know what you're doing.

I have to say linux is the best non-gaming OS
    There's very little you can do in Linux that you can't do with an Xports equipped OSX install :) And as a foundation; Mac OSX doesn't feel like it's cobbled together by amateurs, as Linux often does.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Windows has it's props for business purposes and general internet usage so long as you have enough RAM to back it up. If you're running with less than 1 GB of RAM, then you're pretty much in hell. Especially if you're working on a Vista machine.

OS X offers business related products with it's product. However, it's not as good as Windows when it comes to that in my opinion unless you take advantage of iWork to it's extent. If you're planning on using Microsoft Office on a OS X system, sad to say, from my opinion, you're screwed. If you're going to be using it for graphics purposes, OS X is the way to go as it's memory (RAM) is superb regardless.

Linux... I'm not a fan of that. Their programs are extremely limited compared to, as Sawaa stated, an Xports equipped Operating System. On top of that, there's basically nothing you can do with the programs they have to offer for Linux operating systems.

So, I have to say that I believe, and I'm not just saying that due to the fact that I love Apple products, OS X is the best when it comes down to that. Their graphics, memory, and overall specs are just great.

Zet

Years
    There's very little you can do in Linux that you can't do with an Xports equipped OSX install :) And as a foundation; Mac OSX doesn't feel like it's cobbled together by amateurs, as Linux often does.
    I was only using Linux just for doing other stuff instead of gaming(like just browsing the webs) Mac OSX would be for business, graphics and all that razzle dazzle

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
    in terms of simplicity, my opinion is that the best OS for surfing the web, doing homework/ Office work, and just general goofing off is Mac OS X. Most people who use their computer for just these tasks, probably don't have the knowhow to install and maintain a linux box other than maybe Ubuntu.
    the one drawback to the Mac OS X is the fact that I've found no rival or similar program to MS Access or Publisher, and if you use those on a regular basis then I would have to recommend going out and grabbing a copy of Windows XP (or a netbook that already has it on there)

twocows

Years
    I'm forced to disagree with anyone that says something about the complexity of Linux. While Linux can be complex, I'm talking about everyday computing. Look at the EeePC; it runs on Linux, and the interface is basically three options: internet, word processing, and spreadsheets. You can set Linux up to be extremely easy to use (though the process requires some tech-smarts, obviously). The thing about complete desktop OSes is that they're made to handle anything a potential user might want to do. When you know in advanced *all* of the actions the user will want to do, it's very easy to use Linux to create an interface that allows you to do these things without having to go looking around.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    For non-gaming use? I would have to personally say Mac OS X because I never play games on my computer. Other than crappy online games if I'm incredibly bored. ski runner ftw Anyway, Mac OS X is incredibly stable and is pure eye-candy. If you don't care about video games on your computer then I highly suggest Mac OS X.

Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2009
    Linux is by far more capable and flexible than any other OS. It depends on your needs though. If your very computer literate Linux will blow Windows right out of the water.

Ashbox

Switched Accounts
    Years
    i suggest you get linux

[k,x]ubuntu is one of the best linux distros in existence....

it can do pretty much anything you need it to....

Years
    So we've established that both OSX and Several Linux Distros are great options for general computing, but one important thing to consider is the difference in cost. Mac Hardware is incredibly expensive and the OS upgrades cost quite a bit. Linux, on the other hand, will run on any computer you can get your hands on, so it's often cheaper to get started. Aside from that, the OS and all applications for it are free.

Generally, people using Linux are more tech-savvy, so the userbase that can help you with any issues is far bigger.

If you do go with Linux, consider alternate the Xfce desktop environment if you aren't planning on using high-grade hardware.

mewthree w/armor

The Stig - PC Site Admin
    Years
    I release this is the cheap and easy answer, Windows XP 32-bit. Jack of all trades, does all pretty decently. Easy enough for just about anyone to use, minus the standard PC issues.

Batmans Playtoy

To the Batmobile!
    Years
    I'm gonna have to go with the Mac on this. I can't say I've ever used linux but I've only heard good things about it. Windows (especially Vista) I can't stand. I was always a windows user then we got a new PC with Vista on it and I couldn't figure out how to use it at all. So I got a Mac for Christmas this year and I love I've found no problems so far.

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
    Aside from compatibility issues, Mac OSX is just beautiful. There are no problems with viruses because no one's thought of making viruses for Mac anyway. :3 And the design of the desktop is amazing. There is also tons of extra software available on a new MacBook/iMac.

twocows

Years
    No, not necessarily. I run mine on ordinary PC hardware.
    I assume you meant ordinary in terms of Apple PCs, which is still expensive; Apple prices even their low-end stuff quite high. MacBooks start at $999, and you usually have to at least get some hardware upgrades if you plan to actually use it for anything.

If, on the other hand, you meant you were using a PC, I should probably let you know that running OS X on anything except an Apple-labeled computer is illegal according to the OS X End User License Agreement. By using OS X, you are licensed to use their product on one Apple-labeled computer (Section 2, "Permitted License Uses and Restrictions," subsection A: Single Use), unless you purchased a "family pack," in which case you can install on five Apple-labeled computers. Just an FYI.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    I assume you meant ordinary in terms of Apple PCs, which is still expensive; Apple prices even their low-end stuff quite high. MacBooks start at $999, and you usually have to at least get some hardware upgrades if you plan to actually use it for anything.

If, on the other hand, you meant you were using a PC, I should probably let you know that running OS X on anything except an Apple-labeled computer is illegal according to the OS X End User License Agreement. By using OS X, you are licensed to use their product on one Apple-labeled computer (Section 2, "Permitted License Uses and Restrictions," subsection A: Single Use), unless you purchased a "family pack," in which case you can install on five Apple-labeled computers. Just an FYI.
    So? I'm still running OSX on ordinary PC hardware; thus negating your "Expensive" argument.
    Thanks for playing.

Back