• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best Pokemon Game

What's your favorite pokemon game?

• Red

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Blue

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Yellow

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Gold

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Silver

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Crystal

Votes: 22 28.2%
  • Ruby

• Sapphire

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Emerald

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • Diamond

• Pearl

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Platinum

Votes: 9 11.5%
  • Heartgold

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • Soulsilver

Votes: 10 12.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
Years
  • Platinum is my overall favourite, followed by Emerald and Silver as joint-second. Blue, despite being my first ever game, is third and tied with HG.

I just felt that everything in Platinum was...right. The story-line was upgraded from D/P and Cyrus had more in-depth characterisation, the Battle Frontier was incredible, and the battle system was sooo much better. (Whatever that lag thing was in D/P...way to ruin a game, developer.)

Emerald is my second-favourite because I adore Hoenn and I love that you had two evil Teams to go up against, and that they interacted with one another. I hope they bring something similar into B/W.

GSC...well, anybody who played GSC after RBY knows what I mean when I say they were fantabbytastic.

Blue...well, it was my first, but playing it again now with all of the extras added in just seems...oh, I dunno. You realise that there was a lot missing. Personally I see FR/LG as pretty much pointless except for importing Pokémon into my Diamond game. I've actually never played LG all of the way through :/

And HG...it's a brilliant remake of GSC, and the graphics and animations have blown me away, but the fact that I still enjoy playing Platinum instead means there's something missing from HGSS that I can't quite pick up on. I love the idea of Pokémon following you, and of the PokéWalker, though. Arceus always comes to Sainsburys with me now. :3

NickofTime

Dancin' like a dragon
    Years
  • Crystal, first moving sprites= win
    the reason its not emerald however is that eco-terrorism should never be in a pokemon game
    i was half expecting al gore to be the leader of team aqua/magma

Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2016
    RSE for me, it was the first game with a memorable storyline.

HGSS is a close second for the nostalgia factor of the original GSC.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Stadium, if that's a valid choice; but for the poll, and bearing in mind I haven't played Emerald or later, Crystal.

*~Frost Umbreon~*

TURN OFF YOUR ORPHANS.
    Years
  • Crystal was the first I played. The animations are just so much better than the bouncing animations in Emerald and D/P/Pt/HG/SS, and the things added on from G/S like Kris and the other events were so awesome.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2010
    None of them have something so bad that it makes them not good games, so I really enjoy them all. Soul silver is awesome though, not just because it's the newest one either. xP

Years
  • this poll should have been done by generation like

r/b/y
    g/s/c
    r/s/e
    d/p/pt
    hg/ss

only 5 options because now the votes are completely skewed, like whats the diff between red and blue? the pokemon you can catch? its basically the same

Years
  • Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, and HeartGold :D
    Those are probably my favorites, but I do love the original GSC...and RBY. I LIKE THEM ALL! Besides D/P/Pt. not a fan :|

Years
  • this poll should have been done by generation like

r/b/y
    g/s/c
    r/s/e
    d/p/pt
    hg/ss

only 5 options because now the votes are completely skewed, like whats the diff between red and blue? the pokemon you can catch? its basically the same

Oh, I think it's fair. I mean, there are significant differences between Diamond and Platinum. I would think that a fair poll would be:

Red/Blue
    Yellow
    Gold/Silver
    Crystal
    Ruby/Sapphire
    FireRed/LeafGreen
    Emerald
    Diamond/Pearl
    Platinum
    HeartGold/SoulSilver

Anyway, I picked SoulSilver, because it's the version that I own of the HG/SS remakes. They have all of the features of Gen.IV AND they have the largest number of catchable Pokémon (pre-Elite 4). Not to mention that the endgame is a game in itself. The only things I miss between D/P/Pt and HG/SS are the underground and the lack of equivalent locations for evolving to Magnezone, Leafeon, Glaceon, and the like.

Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2010
    pearl. i had 8 level 100s no cheats. all my friends thought i hacked. I got bored and sold it though. later platinum got me back into pokemon.

Marx_Ultra

Back in Black!
    Years
  • I'd have to say... Ruby, Emerald, Diamond, and HG (Is Colosseum an option?). Didn't even know much about Pokemon until the third gen, when my bro and I got our first pokemon game, Colosseum... :( And btw, why is there no votes for Ruby and Diamond? Just curious since those were the popular ones before Emerald/Platinum were released, if I'm right. I might be wrong though.

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2012
    Yellow, Crystal, and Emerald :> I haven't purchased a DS yet D:

Yellow - Cool story line and was the first pokemon game I had

Crystal - 2-region travel! :D

Emerald - Battle Frontier!

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    Platinum. I don't know why, but when playing through the game, it felt so... epic. I have never restarted my Platinum file, because I feel "attached" to it. And I've already restarted HeartGold once.

I mean, when I beat Platinum, it was the longest Pokemon journey I've ever went on, with 70 hours clocked in. Once I was done exploring every area, doing every possible sidequest, etc., I thought, wow, this is THE perfect Pokemon game. I know I've done a horrible job explaining the journey that Platinum gives you, but I can't describe the feeling in words.

I was expecting HG/SS to be good after the masterpiece that was Pokemon Platinum, but nope, turns out I still think Platinum is the best. I'd take Platinum over HeartGold any day.

Last edited:
    Back