• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best Starter of all time

DoctorSlavic

Shotgun Doctor
Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 23, 2011
    My favorite starters in order:
    Charmander, because of Charizard's sheer beastliness
    Cyndaquil, because he was the first starter I ever saw on the anime
    Treeko, because Leaf Blade is my favorite move (Next to Razor Shell)
    Piplup, because Empoleon is also beastly
    And Oshawott, because Samurott is one of my favorite Pokemon

miju-kun

soaring
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2014
    Best Starter of all time
    Best Starter of all time
    Best Starter of all time

The Hoenn Trio.
    They have amazing designs, and they are also strong competitively, what's not to love about them? Treecko, Torchic and Mudkip are cute, and so does Grovyle, Combusken and Marshtomp :). They are the cutest :D!

Best Starter of all time
    Best Starter of all time
    Best Starter of all time
    Best Starter of all time
    Best Starter of all time

:D!
    I like them all...but nothing beats my favorites :D

Sul_Zala

Collector of tales
    Years
  • MUDKIP. I lieks mudkieps :O
    Closely followed by Turtwig.
    It seems to be the dual-ground type... :/ Mostly because Earthquake grounds almost everything.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Kanto: Blastoise
    Johto: Typhlosion
    Hoenn: Blaziken
    Sinnoh: Empoleon
    Unova: Samurott

Blastoise was my very first starter and, finding it incredibly useful, became my preferred starter whenever I play Leaf Green.

Typholsion had the best special attack and movepool of the GSC starters, and it stuck with me ever since.

Blaziken was a "lesser of three evils" choice because I really didn't like Sceptile's design or Swampert's mix of Ground and Water type.

Empoleon looks awesome, that is all.

Samurott was again a choice of which starter Pokemon I disliked the least. Emboar being the third consecutive Fire/Fighting type eliminated it from consideration and helped out that decision a bit.

竜の子

Avy made by Trainer Touko
    Years
  • Fire types ftw

Charizard pawn everybody in RBY,plus eliminate one weakness
    Typhlosion pawns in GSC
    Blaziken eliminates two weaknesses
    So do Inferno and EMboar

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2011
    Hmm... the starter pokemon that I liked the most from each region...

Kanto: Charmander or Bulbasaur
    Hoenn Torchic or Mudkip
    Johto: Cyndaquil <3
    Sinnoh: Piplup <333
    Unova: Tepig

OtherAlias

Just another alias.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2024
    Holy crap, I can't believe how underated my favorite starter is.
    Best Starter of all time

This little guy is amazing, up until Hoenn, I was always disappointed with grass starters, always giving them a shot and always falling short to my friends who had chosen the water and fire starters.

I'm not saying Venusaur and Meganium are bad Pokemon, but they've always seemed more defensive than offensive. I mean I used Meganium so little in G/S/C I ended up relying on my Ampharos most of the time. Meganium had moves like Reflect and Light Screen, pointless moves imo. Venusaur was a lot better than Meganium, though, but it wasn't nearly as offensive as Treecko/Sceptile.

In R/S/G my Sceptile plowed through the whole region, and instead of Razor Leaf or something it had Leaf Blade, one of my favorite moves. It was really a great Pokemon. And when 4th gen rolled around, it had access to Rock Slide! Giving it a little flare (haha) against fire Pokemon.

Its design wasn't over the top either, it's really fitting, as all Hoenn starters are. Sceptile's design especially is very sleek.

Sceptile is my favorite starter, hands down.

JonnyPhoenyx

Steel Trainer and Proud
    Years
  • Great thread!
    My favorites changed the older (and more experienced) I got. My immediate favorites would have to be:

1st Gen: Squirtle

2nd Gen: Cyndaquil

3rd Gen: Torchic

4th: Originally turtwig, but I think Empoleon has a special place in my heart as a steel type. I can't stand his other forms though. >_<

5: Snivy. Hands down. Haters gonna hate.

All time: Wow, that's hard. I'm not a huge fan of grass types, but I would have to say Turtwig 'cause Torterra's a beast. Snivy is quickly rising through the ranks in that regard though. :)

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • Treecko line. I used to like the Mudkip line the best, but after seeing what the internet did to it, I began to like the Treecko line better. After actually using a Sceptile in-game, I now like it better moveset and stats-wise. The Totodile line comes in a close second.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • Blaziken is my favorite starter. I fell in love with this pokey since I first saw it in the Silver Conference. I also am a fan of the other Hoenn starters, but Blaziken is head and shoulders above them all to me.

Back