• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best visually designed first evolution Fire Starter?

So which one has the best design?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2011
    :)Charmeleon has my vote because it's a dragon/lizard with a flame on the tip of it's tail plus you've gotta love the classics "GOTTA CATCH EM ALL POKEMON":D

Tox

fight me
    Years
  • Despite Charmander being my favourite starter and my general dislike for the Chimchar evolutionary chain (and most of the fourth generation Pokémon), this is my list in order of preference.

Quilava > Monferno > Charmeleon > Combusken > Pignite

I have to admit that they all look pretty awesome. Quilava is possibly one of the coolest looking Pokémon ever. I think Monferno was well designed, and though it's similar to Chimchar and Infernape, I prefer it by a long shot. Charmeleon is just awesome and despite being quite similar to Charmander, it still looks so much tougher. Combusken is also pretty cool. Probably my favourite in its evolutionary chain. Pignite is a bit fat, but he's able to pull it off with his awesome gloves and badass facial expression. So yeah, I actually a fan of all five of them.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    It makes me wonder, why is it always fire starter? Why not some love for other starter type as well as this make as grass guy like me feel so sad

Quilava just to avoid over voting of Charmeleon. Plus, Quilava can be treated as pet not like the other that might potentially attack you.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I like Charmeleon and Quilava the best out of all. I love Charmeleon's colour, it's different from all the others and I like the dragon/salamander concept. Quilava is my second favourite because he's just really cute, and he's very original (even though I like Typhlosion better). I think I like Combusken the least, for the same reason I don't like Blaziken really. It's just a chicken lol. And for Monferno and Pignite, meh I don't dislike them but I don't like them that much either.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • In order from greatest to least:

Quilava
    Quilava has always been my favorite mid-stage evolution of all the fire starters. It also ranks higher than a lot of other mid-stage evolutions amongst all the starters for me. I don't know what it is particularly about Quilava that makes me favorite it more, perhaps its cool design; maybe it's the fire that burst out of its back; probably because of how nicely it's portrayed in the anime; whatever reason, I've always favored it. To be perfectly honest, I actually like Quilava more than Typhlosion.

Combusken
    Coming from my favorite region and generation, Combusken probably places second because of the anime. May's Combusken had great personality, even as a Torchic, and it performed well, both performance-wise and competitively, plenty of times. Not to mention it's the first Fire / Fighting Pokémon, and after it, GameFreak just overdid it with that type combination later on.

Monferno
    Okay, I really like Monferno's design. At first, I was turned off by it, but as I finally used it as my own starter choice once in a restart of Diamond and Platinum, it grew onto me. It grew onto me so much that I refused to evolve it into Infernape. Fun little fact for you, it's been about a year and half now and I still have it.

Charmeleon
    Eh, the Charmander line has never been my favorite starter choice to be perfectly honest. I mean, it's a very cool Pokémon, but I feel like it's way overrated these days ─ especially Charizard. Not to mention, like most of the original 150 Pokémon, it has become too much of a simple design for me now.

Pignite
    Oh dear lord, I don't know how many times I've said it before, but if I ever choose Tepig as my starter, I'm not evolving it. I just don't like Pignite all that much design-wise, and Emboar in my opinion is much worse. Hence, it's last place on my list of favorite mid-state Fire starters, and unlike Quilava it places much lower in the charts compared with all mid-stage starter evolutions. Surprisingly, the anime doesn't help me like it much more either.

...and totally irrelevant, but the art used for the flames of the image you used for Charmeleon, Quilava, and Monferno are awesome!

Last edited:

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • I chose Quilava and Combusken :)
    Yes, the hedgehog and the chicken.

The first one is pretty nice, we can't say the contrary. Its wide and red eyes are irresistible, we want to hug it in our arms <3 It looks so kind, so cute ...
    You've understood I like it.

But at the same time... Combusken, our favourite chicken ever :D It's not especially well-designed or anything else, I mean, at the "cute level", and despite it we aren't indifferent to it.

Years
  • Monferno cos I love monkeys (I was born in 1992, known as a Year of the Monkey obviously).

Plus, it's very useful and quick.

Loved this guy in Generation IV.

DarkAlucard

Seek me. Call me...
    Years
  • Quilava rules!
    I would rather have a Cyndaquil, as I love its design. But Quilava is the best choice, followed closely by Charmeleon. Pignite and Combusken are weird, really weird...

Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2015
    Honestly, I prefer Braixen but out of all of these Charmelion is my favorite with Quilava a close second...

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    In terms of design, I'd rank them like this:

6: Monferno
    5: Pignite
    4: Braixen
    3: Charmeleon
    2: Quilava
    1: Combusken

Years
  • Woah JennahJackal, this thread is more than 3 years old. In the future, please make sure you're taking a look at how old a thread is before posting, since it's actually against forum rules to bump anything that's been inactive for more than a month. Thanks!

CLOSED.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back