• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Bike or Walk

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
  • I....use a little of both xD.

Walking and running are convenient whenever I'm not much of a rush to do anything. I use the bike when I want to get to a destination asap, or I am just too impatient to hatch an egg. But most of the time I prefer to walk. My character needs the exercise, ya know! :D

Haseyo

쏘쿨
    Years
  • Depends on the version. Sometimes the bikes are stupid fast and I run into walls constantly, but sometimes they're decent. I usually run, but in huge cities or long paths that I've cleared every trainer in, I'll bike.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2012
    I've been much more used to walking then biking. I mainly just use the bike when I'm hatching eggs or raising pokemon in the day-care.

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • I mainly use the bike, unless I really want to listen to the song of the place where I am. I'm not someone patient, the faster it is, the better I feel.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • As soon as I obtain the bike in each game, it's registered to Select/Y and I'm using it to go everywhere that I can with it. It's only when I can't use it (so, indoors, long grass patches and surfing) that I even think to get off the bike for the most part. That being said, I am really glad for the Running Shoes' existence. I can't imagine going back to the days of RBY where until you got to Cerulean, you couldn't have any way of speeding up! That would drive me crazy nowadays!

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Depends on the game. In the Kanto games, I mostly walked because I don't like the bike music. In HG/SS, I rode the bike as much as I could so I wouldn't have to deal with the Pokemon following me. But in B/W, since there was nowhere that required Bike usage, I didn't use the Bike at all. Not once.

I do think that ever since the Running Shoes were introduced, I've generally used the Bike less... the running shoes are plenty fast enough for me, plus I'm too lazy to open the menu each time (and nowadays I have something else mapped to the shortcut keys).

Guest123_x1

As soon as I get the bike, I register it and am using it almost all the time, even if the music bed gets to me.

Years
  • Since the introduction of the running shoes in the R/S, I only use the bike for areas that it's required (ex: getting up a muddy slope or those thin ledges in R/S/E). I find running just as easy, and absolutely loved the idea that HG/SS had with keeping the running shoes on.

In the first two gen games though, the Bicycle was basically the only thing I registered as a key item, unless I was going on a fishing spree.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • I prefer running in the game. Wait, what am I talking about? I don't run I just get in my car and drive... Wait, I don't have a car.

Asuf

Dragon Tamer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    I always walk/run around the region, until it comes to bike paths or hatching eggs is when I use a bike.
    I bet they can add more features with the bike, like in R/S/E...

Ravenfreak

Raven rocks! :D
    Years
  • It really depends on which version i'm playing. If i'm playing one from the first gen, I definitely use my bike as soon as I can. Same with the 2nd generation, I register it and use it whenever I need to. However in the newer versions I usually just use the running shoes, but if i'm trying to hatch an egg, then i'll use my bike.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    It depends on what I am playing as well. Nowadays with Gen V and back in Gen II I usually run/ran everywhere unless I feel the need to ride my bike. The routes and everything felt much shorter in BW, too, so that's a reason.

In Gens I, III, and IV I used my bike almost all of the time. I'm not sure why the odd split up there, ha. I can at least say that Hoenn had plenty of reasons to use your bike and it seemed like a much more open region.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    When I'm going through places first time I usually don't use it, but after that, I use it all the time! Much faster and (if I'm not mistaken) when you're more likely to bump into wild Pokémon if you're riding your bike in long grass, which can be useful if you're looking for stuff.

And, as someone already said, it's useful if you're trying to hatch eggs. Gets it done quicker, anyway.

Back