• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Black and White 3D claim bogus?

BigBlastoise

The Big B-Turtle
    Years
    seriously, everyone better stop flaming BW, I can personally guarentee that they will be WELL WORTH THE MONEY so stop b****ing and get over it

Nobody is flaming it mate. I think you don't understand what flaming is. I am just saying that the graphics to me, don't look different. I bet if the designers rearranged the camera angle in D/P and gave some more textures, they would be identical. To me, the graphics hardly show any signs of improvement.

Oh, and on Serebii.net, it claims that Reshiram will be in White and... alright, I have finally the need to talk in a technical manner...

Now, pay attention class! Today I will be speaking about the differences in the graphics of D/P/PT and HG/SS. First of all, looking at the buildings in Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum, the wall designs are identical. They are of the same color, same texture, and in some places the buildings look the same. Another way I know how the graphics are the same is, when the game comes across a building, the fps (frames per second) slows down to the same (around 20-30 fps) frame-rate as before. Showing that the buildings are not in fact new, but are from the same era as generation IV.

GT game rating for Pokemon Diamond/Pearl: 8.9/10

GT game rating for Pokemon Platinum: 9.1

Estimated rating of Pokemon Black/White: 9.0

And believe me, graphics do make the game for a lot of people.

Years
    The difference is mainly in the camera angles, yes.

Out of the existing Pokémon games on DS, they each introduced a bit more 3D in them, though-
    DP: Every Outdoor area was in '3D'.
    Pt: Every Outdoor area was in '3D' as well as selected indoor areas such as the Pokemon League, and the Frontier facilities.
    HGSS: Same as Platinum, as well as some full 3D cutscenes (when you get your version legendary, the Magnet Train, SS Aqua, etc.)

In B&W, sure, it likly has more than the above, but it's still only the camera angle.

I agree with (what I believe to be) the OP's point. The style in graphics has not changed to a massive extent. In Battles, it has, since there's a dynamic camera now, as someone mentioned the field is now a 3D model, rather than sprites. In the Overworld, though, the style of graphics has not changed, just the camera angles. DPPtHGSS all used 3D models for their maps, and so do B&W, but the way in which these models are viewed by the in-game camera has changed. That's it.

Saxisai

Unbeatable 3's-Unstopable Trio
    Years
    With a little camera hacking:
    Spoiler:

Since Pokemon Platinum, the games have always been in 3D, its just that they kept the old camera angles.

The only difference I can tell between Black and White and Heartgold and SoulSilver is that the buildings are a bit more textured

BigBlastoise

The Big B-Turtle
    Years
    The difference is mainly in the camera angles, yes.

Out of the existing Pokémon games on DS, they each introduced a bit more 3D in them, though-
    DP: Every Outdoor area was in '3D'.
    Pt: Every Outdoor area was in '3D' as well as selected indoor areas such as the Pokemon League, and the Frontier facilities.
    HGSS: Same as Platinum, as well as some full 3D cutscenes (when you get your version legendary, the Magnet Train, SS Aqua, etc.)

In B&W, sure, it likly has more than the above, but it's still only the camera angle.

I agree with (what I believe to be) the OP's point. The style in graphics has not changed to a massive extent. In Battles, it has, since there's a dynamic camera now, as someone mentioned the field is now a 3D model, rather than sprites. In the Overworld, though, the style of graphics has not changed, just the camera angles. DPPtHGSS all used 3D models for their maps, and so do B&W, but the way in which these models are viewed by the in-game camera has changed. That's it.

Thanks for clarifying for me. I can't ever express myself in the way I want to XD

Saxisai

Years
    Funny how everyone is floating xD hopefully they fix that in BW.

yeah, thats the problem with HG and SS, even in scenes where they are supposed to be 3D, they are still floating lol

And a picture I forgot to post, the PokeCenter:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    ^This man has just won the thread.

I have to agree with the OP, the camera angle is really the biggest change; but it appears that these games are running on a better engine than the 4th generation games.

Last edited:

Saxisai

Years
    i agree with the better engine, because in Hiun City (or however it is spelled), the character moves on a 3D axis around the outer city, you cant do that in HG/SS/Pt/D/P

biancafanboy

Pokemon master
    Years
    Isn't there a 3D ds coming out to? Pokemon black and white would look amazing on it, assuming it's not just a rumor.

Sage Harpuia

Hey, listen
    Years
    Actually, even if IVgen games where 3D, there was a lack of 3D models: for example, bushes, trees, lamps and small rock are flat texture in vertical, like show those images:
    Spoiler:

Instead look at the B&W images:
    Spoiler:

Also this is enfatized by the camera position and a better quality of the texture. Also the engine itself has been upgraded because, in HG/SS in goldenrod, the games slow down but in hiun city, with a larger number of buildings, it works fine.
    so I would say that the graphic has been improved, but not dramatically (person are still flats...)

@biancafanboy: it is not a rumor and B&W will look awesome because battle are not 2d anymore, and with the zoom going in and out... there will be a spectacular effect!

Last edited:

Saxisai

Years
    the lamps ARE in 3D, just not as great as gen V, obviously lol, but thats to be expected, seeing as were moving forward, not backwards

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2010
    Graphics aren't everything. It's the actual game. Look at G/S graphics. They're not a huge step up from Yellow, but probably the best pokemon games ever. Just wait til the actual games come out before you judge ANYTHING.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    In the end, a game on the DS is a game on the DS. You can't expect much different.
    That said, the graphical impression a game gives is every bit as important as the graphics powering the impression.

Saxisai

Years
    Here are some more pictures of the different views in HeartGold:

Bird's Eye View:
    Spoiler:

Top-Down View:
    Spoiler:

2D View: (like the GBA Games)
    Spoiler:

And here is a video to go along with my screenshots posted in posts 26 and 29.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jun 7, 2015
    I'd also point out that BW seems to have more "randomness" to it. Like things aren't as tiled or repeated as much. Looks far less tidy, more realistic and there seems to be more little details as well that make up the scene.

Would I rather see BW on the 3DS with visuals on par with the Wii and to some extent the 360/PS3? Yes. But overall I'm pretty happy with BWs visuals; it has far more character than DP for me personally. Place feels more alive and real.

Saxisai

Years
    i do have to agree with you on that, and plus, the 3DS's graphics are said to be on par with the graphics of the GameCube, PS2 would be awesome, but eh, idt its gonna happen

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
    Years
    Well the 3D difference is obvious, even if it is an optical illusion!
    But with the new 3D maps will the hero's ow keep moving in straight lines like in previous games, or is it gonna be free to move in any way (diagonally for instance)?

Back