• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Black people

Tanaki

←Lazy ADHD Trainer
    Years
    I don't particularly think that it would be too great of an idea. Just look at Resident Evil 5. It's entirely too easy for one culture to have misconceptions about another culture they don't fully understand and make generalizations that are offensive to others.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    It's be alright if the only Dark-Skinned person in the entire game was an Elite Trainer. Since Dahlia didn't cause any fuss. Hopefully they won't stereotype them xD

This is what I spotted:
    Black people

But the full scans proved me wrong :(
    Black people
    (taken from Serebii :))

Actually, she still looks a tad dark skinned... hmmm.

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    JUST EVERYONE WATCH WHAT THEY SAY IN THIS THREAD!

ANY RACIST COMMENTS AND I WILL CUT YOU DOWN SO FAST YOU WON'T KNOW WHAT HIT YOU.

Anyway, I hope we get more variety in the races of people in this game. I kind of understood in the first four games because they were based on Japanese locales but this one is looking likes its taking place somewhere else, so hopefully we'll see something different.

i fell over laughin when i saw this, this is the exact thing i wouldve said if i was a mod XD

on topic, WHY DOES THIS EVEN MATTER!?

its still a human, who cares, black white yellow brown gold who gives a bloody damn, their humans it just shows how diverse humanity is -_-
    no reason to wig out over sumthin so pointless.

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    how about we have new trainers

PokeCholo Armando wants to battle!
    PokeBrotha Kunta Kinte wants to battle!
    PokeGangsta D'Shawn wants to battle!
    PokeNazi Adolf wants to battle!

but that would be horrible stereotyping

UraharaSteph

Science Has Never Been So Sexy
    Years
    I don't think it's racist.
    Plus, it's not like we get to choose our player's looks anyway.
    Anyone can point at the game and say "I can't be a blonde male!" Or back when the games only consisted of male main characters, I don't think that many people pointed to the game and shouted "I can't be a girl!" But then again, I was only 6 at the time so I wouldn't know.

The game is based in Japan. And they're not racist. Look at that foreign guy in SS/HG. You know, the guy who says he's going to rebuild Team Rocket in his own country?

Oh and lets not forget the french chefs (Although that is pretty stereotypical."

Course, I could turn around and ask "Why are there no English people?" But I don't really care to be honest. It's just a game and it doesn't even have to be politically correct of realistic for that matter. It's in an alternative universe for one. What if Black people just don't live in the Pokémon world? :P

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
    Hey guess what. I'm black and it never crossed my mind how come there weren't any colored people in game. What does it matter? Really? :/ It's all about the Pokemon anyway.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    It's be alright if the only Dark-Skinned person in the entire game was an Elite Trainer. Since Dahlia didn't cause any fuss. Hopefully they won't stereotype them xD

This is what I spotted:
    Black people

Black people

Just like me to have last post on thread T_T

But seriously, it doesn't matter to me anymore. As people said, it's a "Role Playing" game. "Role play", acting, playing as someone else. It's be easier to understand if we couldn't select our names, full on "Role Play".

Dylan1

ALOT IS NOT A WORD!!!!
    Years

lolz i love embracing stereotypes.

Years

This is what I spotted:
    Black people

Black people

Knowing the Japanese, she's probably Central/Southeast Asian, if she isn't just a heavily-tanned Japanese individual. Darker-skinned characters in anime and manga tend to be from places that the Japanese will actually see a lot of people from, like India or Malaysia.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    This doesn't really matter that much. You're all making a big deal out of nothing.
    I think they should
    its really racist to be honest!
    I think they should
    its really racist to be honest!
    Black people

Black people

Are we talking about how they don't put any black characters in, or how they [still] stereotype every single non pacific islander on the planet?
    In fact, the first non stereotypical character I saw was actually in Pokemon. I'm glad no one forgot about Dahlia.

You forgot Tyrone.

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    This doesn't really matter that much. You're all making a big deal out of nothing.

Black people

Black people

Are we talking about how they don't put any black characters in, or how they [still] stereotype every single non pacific islander on the planet?
    In fact, the first non stereotypical character I saw was actually in Pokemon. I'm glad no one forgot about Dahlia.

huh? explain this to me. and yes DBZ always had random black people but i never thought anything of it

MrsNorrington

Lady Loki
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Fl
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    Wow, we're bringing race into Pokemon?? That makes absolutely no sense at all. Pokemon is Japanese, therefore the characters are Japaense. That is the culture. In America we have so much diversity, so we integrate it into our games,tv shows moves,everything because that is out culture. But that is not Japanese culture, because they do not experience that diversity. Wow. This is a video game about creatures with elemental powers, why are we being racist about it? I don't get it.

It would be great to see more ethnicities in the game. But remember there was a time where these games were not even in colour, and there was a time that we could not play as female characters. We didn't complain then, why complain now. The game is still enjoyable either way.

And to those who want to play as a character of another ethnicity, that doesn't make sense either because the characters we play are characters from the anime. Like in D/P/Pl, the female character we play is Dawn. It wouldn't make sense to take the sprite of Dawn and make her dark skinned.

And don't call me racist, because I'm definitely not. I'm a white american, engaged to a filipino.

I think this thread should be locked. It has nothing to do with Pokemon.

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
    Well I THOUGHT that maybe some serious discussion on the lack of variety in race in the Pokemon universe would occur. But whatevskis. Can't expect THAT mature of a discussion to occur on PC.

Back