• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Black people

Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2010
    How is dahlia black?
    Black people

I have never seen a black person with blue eyes.

Sage Harpuia

Hey, listen
    Years
  • How is dahlia black?
    Spoiler:

I have never seen a black person with blue eyes.

Oh I can assure you that in sicily (in Italy) is plenty of person with dark skin and blue eyes (resulting from a mixing of nordich and arabian people)...
    however I wuold not define them and dahlia black because their skin it's not so...black but just darker than usual.

Bloothump

the Sea Fungi Pokemon.
    Years
  • I've thought about this for a while before commenting, but I truly hope that they include more diverse races for NPCs, but I really hope that they don't give players the option to choose their skin color.

Here is why: How do all the Pokémon games start? The Professor asks if you're a boy or girl, right? Well, imagine a little kid playing this game (because, let's face it, that's who these games are primarily targeted towards) and being faced with the question "Are you white or black?" or "What color is your skin?"

Now, my girlfriend has 3 kids ranging from 9 - 13 and only last year did they find out what black people were. Sure, african american kids go to their school, but we never taught them to draw distinctions between races of people, so they grew up just thinking everyone was the same, which is a pretty rad way to grow up, if you ask me.

If the new Pokémon games taught kids to draw racial distinctions, I think it'd just be a bit of a bummer. People are people and color really shouldn't matter.

When it comes down to it, it's just a game, so have fun with it and try not to take it too seriously.

p.s.
    I'm very brown.

I don't know why you people are still posting, this post wins the entire thread. Case closed. Also, why does it matter what race Dahlia belongs to? She's a character in a video game.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Well I THOUGHT that maybe some serious discussion on the lack of variety in race in the Pokemon universe would occur. But whatevskis. Can't expect THAT mature of a discussion to occur on PC.

Isn't Lt. Surge like the only American in the game(s)?
    I swear a lot of npcs talk about other countries and stuff, and there was a french guy on the S.S Anne, so who knows, maybe we will see more nationalities in BW.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • I don't know why you people are still posting, this post wins the entire thread. Case closed. Also, why does it matter what race Dahlia belongs to? She's a character in a video game.

That isn't a good enough reason to not include multiple races. They could just finally change it to a create-your-character menu and let you choose gender, hair colour, skin colour, eye colour and a few outfit choices.

I'm not sure that's a good way to go with teaching kids either though. Since the person that inevitably will teach them about races, may then be racist and they haven't had any prior knowledge about races to know it's a load of rubbish. But that's another story.

@Fox: I don't know about the games, but that pirate-dude from the first movie had English for a first language. Whether he was American though, who knows.

wobbadude1

Everybody Polkamon!
    Years
  • Isn't Lt. Surge like the only American in the game(s)?
    I swear a lot of npcs talk about other countries and stuff, and there was a french guy on the S.S Anne, so who knows, maybe we will see more nationalities in BW.

Yeah, there's also that guy in Gold who speaks bad English saying he is from another country. It is never said where though.

It is very rare to see a black person in Japanese anime, whereas it is commonplace in Anglophonic shows. It would be good to see more black people in Japanese shows/games- even though it's probably rare because obviously most people in Japan are East Asian. But it's a different country- not a different world!!

Btw regardless of my signature I am actually white!

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
  • In case you havent noticed
    Pokémon has never had BLACK people in it,

Do you think tehre gonna put black people in ,

Pokémon Black and White?

I think they should
    its really racist to be honest!

There isnt any hatred or intolerance of any race so it cannot be racist.

Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2010
    Why are we going on about this. It doesn't matter about color. I think this thread should be closed, because everyone is saying the same thing about the game being Japanese and there aren't many black people in Japan.

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2011
    seriously, does it matter? if there were no black people in the game I'd still play. heck I'd play even if i had to play as a pink character...

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    Isn't Lt. Surge like the only American in the game(s)?

I hope we see more nationalities too, like they're not directly mentioned but from where they describe they're from or act could be a good indicator. Some people were saying Isshu is based off of NYC, and if it was then I wonder how many angry folks we'll see :D.

Yeah, there's also that guy in Gold who speaks bad English saying he is from another country. It is never said where though.
    Really? I'm guessing he was in silver too (dumb question)? I never saw him or maybe I just don't remember.

It is very rare to see a black person in Japanese anime, whereas it is commonplace in Anglophonic shows. It would be good to see more black people in Japanese shows/games- even though it's probably rare because obviously most people in Japan are East Asian. But it's a different country- not a different world!!

No I don't think there should be, and I'm black. Most black folks you see on Japanese tv are just...horrible representers of black folks in Japan!

Last edited:

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
  • Guys, why do you care so much about people's skin colour/origins? Their skin colour doesn't say anything about them, except where they originate from. They may look black or whatever, but the actual charatcers may have been born in Japan. Heck, I was born in England, but you'd never guess it from looking at me. All this nonsense about who's who is stupid. They're just people. Who cares if Pokémon has no black people? Who cares if they have no brown people? It's just a game, and skin colour doesn't define who you are.

dieter57

pokemon master
    Years
  • i never thought about this subject.
    and does any body really care if a black person was in pokemon or not?
    i don't.

Bloothump

the Sea Fungi Pokemon.
    Years
  • Guys, why do you care so much about people's skin colour/origins? Their skin colour doesn't say anything about them, except where they originate from. They may look black or whatever, but the actual charatcers may have been born in Japan. Heck, I was born in England, but you'd never guess it from looking at me. All this nonsense about who's who is stupid. They're just people. Who cares if Pokémon has no black people? Who cares if they have no brown people? It's just a game, and skin colour doesn't define who you are.

This.
    It doesn't really matter if an NPC is darker skinned, because it doesn't change who the character is or what they do. Sure, it's nice to see more diversity but everyone's already mentioned the reasons for why it isn't necessary. I feel like all the reasons and arguments for this topic have been stated over and over so there's really no reason as to why this thread shouldn't be locked.

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
  • It's never black, it's ~tanned~
    Brock and Phoebe are ~tanned~

Honestly, I could care less. They aren't exactly Caucasian, or Asian, or Indian, or whatever.
    They're just a race in an animated world. Do we need to bring racism into that?

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
  • It's never black, it's ~tanned~
    Brock and Phoebe are ~tanned~

Honestly, I could care less. They aren't exactly Caucasian, or Asian, or Indian, or whatever.
    They're just a race in an animated world. Do we need to bring racism into that?

I agree with you 100%.
    It's like asking the question: Why aren't elf people/gingerbread people/aliens/pixies in B&W?
    Gamefreak's universe = Gamefreak's race

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    I agree with you 100%.
    It's like asking the question: Why aren't elf people/gingerbread people/aliens/pixies in B&W?
    Gamefreak's universe = Gamefreak's race

Yep yep...but what are those bean shaped people,like in Higglytown Heroes :embarrass, called? That is what pokemon characters look like in the game...except they have feet :D.

Edit: Yayyyyyy post #100!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Last edited:

Calder

Gamertag: LycaNinja
    Years
    • Seen Apr 28, 2011
    Black people aren't in Pokemon as we have all said 1,000,000,000 times because Japan has roughly 2 Black people in it... If you didn't notice most of the characters are Asians....Because it's Japan... Only Whites are from America...

Back