• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Breeding in Pokemon Crystal 3DS??

CocoaAlpaca

south park elementary's gym leader
Years
  • Hey, i haven't been here in a while.
    So i started playing Pokemon Crystal because i don't know where my 3DS games are.
    I've gotten pretty far in about 3 or 4 days, i already have 5 badges, over 73k Pokedollars, and my starter is over level 40.
    So when i got the Lake of Rage Gyrados i figured, "since shiny odds are down when breeding shinies in gen 2, i'll start breeding some smaller shinies and then start breeding cooler ones."
    So i put my Gyrados and a Goldeen in the daycare, right? I have looked on this daycare so many times and have NO eggs.
    I traveled all the way back to New Bark and came back even, i did a lot of stuff like this and i have still not gotten an egg.
    Literally every other Pokemon game i've played getting eggs has been extremely easy. Put them in the daycare, wait a few minutes, get the egg, hatch it, and by the time you've hatched that one you'll have another ready. How come i haven't gotten an egg in Crystal yet?
    I'd appreciate some help, thanks!

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Are your Gyarados and Goldeen of the opposite gender? Perhaps they are stated to "not like eachother", which I believe makes it take longer for eggs to be produced.

CocoaAlpaca

Years
  • Yep, Gyrados is male, Goldeen is female. The message i get when i talk to them is that they show interest in eachother.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    They should be able to produce eggs then. They share an egg group, aren't the same gender, and you're not getting a "they prefer other Pokemon" kind of message, so it should be possible. Right now I'd have to chalk it up to bad luck, sometimes the RNG can be an asshole. But if it persists to an insane degree, then either we're wrong about something here, or maybe there's some other reason why....

CocoaAlpaca

Years
  • Well damn, this sucks. At least i know my game probably isn't broken and no matter what i do i have no shiny luck lmbo

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • psypokes guide said:
    Earlier, it was believed that sometimes you simply would not get an egg. This is not true. If two Pokemon are compatible, they WILL eventually give an egg - it might take a long time, but they will.

The number of steps you have to take in order for your Pokemon to produce an egg is fairly random. Check back at the Day-Care Center every 250-500 steps to check if an egg is there. If it is, speak with the old man standing in the backyard. If it isn't, keep walking/riding your bike. (I'd certainly recommend the latter.)

so it's certainly possible, it just takes a while. i haven't bred in gen II in a while, but as i recall, it's like this quote says and it's very random. i bred for a psybeam ledian and got worried it wasn't going to work because it took forever. but i have my mango now, he's level 22 and have psybeam and kicks ass. wasn't trying to shiny breed, though. make sure that you are walking as opposed to flying to places and back as well, because the RNG measures steps and flying doesn't count iirc.

for now, i would recommend extra patience and possibly double checking the genders on your unhappy couple. i've sometimes put same gender in the daycare and spent way too long expecting an egg that wasn't going to happen. it be like that sometimes.

edit: scratch what i said before if you read this before the edit, different species but same trainer id will yield the LONGEST wait period. that's probably the biggest issue here.

Last edited:

CocoaAlpaca

Years
  • Oh god lol i really screwed myself up with the Gyrados Goldeen pairing then
    At least i know some more stuff about this

User Anon 1848

If you have another 3DS with any of the first gen games and you don't mind exploiting glitches then there's a quicker way to get shiny breedable Pokemon involving the red Gyarados and a Ditto. This glitch wont harm either of your games unlike the Missingo glitch and some others.

1. Catch the Red Gyarados in Gold and Silver.

2. Trade the Red Gyarados to your version of Red, Blue or Yellow (second 3DS is required)

3. In RBY, go to the Celadon City Mart and purchase a PokeDoll on the fourth floor.

4. Travel to Saffron City and find the girl who will trade you TM for a PokeDoll, give the doll and receive TM 31 (Mimic).

5. Teach your Red Gyarados Mimic.

6. Travel to an area that has Ditto, the easiest area is the Secret Mansion on Cinnabar Island.

7. With your Red Gyarados in the front of your party, battle a Ditto and be sure to go BEFORE the wild Ditto. If you don't, Run and try again.

8. Going first, use Mimic on the Ditto to get Transform from them.

9. Allow Ditto to use Transform on your Gyarados.

10. Allow Ditto to use Transform a second time (use items or Transform until it does).

11. After the second Transform, catch the Ditto.

12. Trade the newly caught Ditto to Gold and Silver and it should be a Shiny Ditto.

13. Use this Shiny Ditto to breed with any Pokémon from Gen 1 or 2 to get the increased Shiny Chance.

https://www.player.one/pokemon-gold-silver-virtual-console-3ds-glitch-shiny-ditto-gyarados-120341

^ This trick works with Crystal too. The article and video just came out before Crystal was released on the e-shop.

CocoaAlpaca

Years
  • Oooooof
    I had another 3DS but it's extremely broken (screen's off the hinge, there's so many dead pixels on the screen that you can hardly see it and online play doesn't work) and it did have Pokemon Yellow but i don't know where it is and i can't use it anyways :'0
    I'll just keep waiting

CocoaAlpaca

Years
  • Hey, so, i switched out my Goldeen with a Ditto a few days ago, and a few minutes ago this happened!
    20190717-175057.jpg

Thanks for the help, guys!

Back