• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Broken

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    Okay, here is another topic about the typical Broken Pokemon or the Broken Tactics such as "swagplay" or "Para flinch".

So, I took a break from competitive play because I got tired of seeing the same Pokemon and the same tactics over and over and over again. Tonight I decided to play a bit again, and what was one of the first teams I see?

-Mega Kangaskahn
    -Belly Drum Azumarril
    -Swagplay Klefki

Booooring!!!

These team is so predictable, I was able to win with a Mega Aggron, Gengar, and Empoleon. Why do people bother with these same aged worn down tactics if they don't work anymore? I mean, I know that they are broken, but we as pro players already just roll our eyes and beat them up over and over and over whispering "noob" under our breath. What's the deal?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    There's a tendency to see the same stuff over and over again because it's far easier to just use something "tried and true" than try to come up with something original that actually works. Generally people play to win, and using common/standard stuff is often more safe/guaranteed than whatever thing you tried to come up with, and I don't really think that a lot of people have the patience/creativity/skill/whatever to really go beyond it.

I mean, you CAN do it, it's just that the half of the players don't exactly fall into that skill level.

And it's not so much that the things don't work anymore (Mega Kangaskhan will forever be a broken piece of **** in Singles), though some sets and strategies do stop working as the metagame goes on like SkarmBliss did years ago, but that some of the people using it don't actually know how to use it and are really that bad. Like, I was battling on the Ubers low ladder for the first time in months the other day and holy **** some of those teams and/or sets were so terrible I probably could've made better teams while drunk.

ramblerambleramble

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2016
    I agree. but how bad do you have to be to be beaten by a team with Empoleon in it. Think about it .. Empoleon. Mega Aggron and Empoleon are UU tier, and they beat Mega Kangaskahn. Gengar is OU, but she did not win the match by herself.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I agree. but how bad do you have to be to be beaten by a team with Empoleon in it. Think about it .. Empoleon. Mega Aggron and Empoleon are UU tier, and they beat Mega Kangaskahn. Gengar is OU, but she did not win the match by herself.

There's misconception on the tier; Just because a Pokémon belongs to a tier that is lower than Uber and/or OU, it doesn't necessarily that Pokémon sucks. *cough*Bar the obvious likes of Corsola*cough*

It's really up to the players and their heads if they can create an ultimate team that synchronizes perfectly, which you have done so well with your Empoleon and co. :) Keep that up, Juxi.

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • Yeah, Empoleon is pretty beastly and easy to build a team around. Air Balloon Raichu, Gengar, Landorus-T are all reliable team mates, and it synergizes particularly well with Lando.

I run an AV set in Doubles during friendly battles and it has pissed off opponents more than once.

Re: OP. Minimize/Calm Mind/Psycho Boost shenanigans are so annoying. When you win, you won a 30 min battle for what is typically a really small jump in rank. And when you lose, you just wasted 30 minutes.

Back