• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Buy a DS Lite or wait for The DSi?

brian11301993

I Am Sofa King Good
    Years
    I was planning on asking for a DS Lite for Christmas, until I did some research and realized Nintendo will release the DSi to the United States consumer within the next year. I have always played the Pokemon games, but since I do not own a Nintendo DS, I have only played Diamond and Pearl on my friends' DS's. I was wondering if I should ask for a DS Lite for Christmas, and be able to play Diamond and/or Pearl now, or wait for the release of the DSi before playing Diamond and Pearl?

Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    I'd wait for the DSi. In the mean time, find a emulator to cure your Pokémon cravings.

Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2010
    Well...you could always buy a DS Lite now and sell it when the DSi comes out. Or you could just wait for the DSi and get an emulator now. It's your choice, really.

Tac One

OWN new Emld, Sapp and FR & LG
    Years
    I would personally suggest a DS Lite, the DSi will not have an Advanced slot, so think of the backwards compatabliity. However, if the new features peak your interest then go for it. I have a DS Lite and I'm sticking with that.

Wulf

Am I kawaii know? Uguu~
    Years
    I'd wait for the DSi. In the mean time, find a emulator to cure your Pokémon cravings.
    Yarr?
    Depends, if you don't plan on playing any GBA games, then go for it, but on the other hand...you'll want a DS Lite.

chanchimi

With a Side of Cheddar
    Years
    Well, it'll be about a year until the DSi is released in America, and Pokemon Platinum should be out by then (I think). It's entirely up to you, if you can wait, or play DS games on an emulator, then you may as well wait for it, but if you're like me, and either can't get a DS emulator to work >.< or just like playing it on a real DS, then you can get one.

I actually have a DSi, but they're very similar, just y'know, with a few nice extra features! Anyway, if you decide on waiting, you could possibly find a friend who will let you borrow their DS, get Diamond or Pearl, and play it on theirs in the meantime.....I'm not sure.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Buy an old DS from some junkyard, transfer your Pokemon. Make it look nice and sell it on E-bay.

You still have left for the DSi right?

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
    Haha. Moderator conflict. o.o"

I believe it's all up to your needs. If you have a huge collection of GBA game, go ahead and get the DS Lite. If you want all the useless features on the DSi like the camera, go ahead and get the DSI. Simple as that.

Le_Avatar

Experienced Trainer & Breeder
    Years
    I agree... Those cameras and other extra stuff are only there to make you spend more money on it...

I'd stick with the DS Lite. You'll probably even get it cheaper, as the DSi will become the "Main Product" :P

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
    I have a DS lite and the DSi doesn't interest me as there is no backwards compatability. I still play my old GBA games on my DS so without the backwards compatability on the new one I don't see the point in getting it. But if you don't want to play your old GBA games and the new built in camera interests you then get the new DSi.

Ascaris

boogey
    Years
    Get a PSP

I don't really see what all the hype about the DSi is about. Who needs a camera in a gaming system and who doesn't have an mp3 player these days? The firmware idea is interesting but no backwards compatibility kinda sucks.

-shrugs- If you don't play your gameboy games or already have a gameboy, then I'd say the DSi is better.

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    A DSi suppose to come out sometime next year, so get a DS lite for christmas...

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    If you plan on migrating Pokemon from the GBA games, then the DS Lite is really your only choice, since the DSi lacks the second slot and thus won't let you do so. It's the better of the two, anyway, at least until Nintendo gets that DSiWare stuff up and running.

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    Yeah if you want to keep on playing your GBA games, get the DS Lite. Because of the backwards compatibility. I seen the DSi doesn't have a GBA port. But if you don't care about playing GBA games, then go ahead and get the DSi. At first I thought I will wait for the DSi, but then I figured out that it doesn't have a GBA port. And one of those days, I would love to play a few GBA games. So I went and got the DS Lite.

But it is your call. Get the one that is right for you. ^^

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
    Personally, I don't think the DSi will be worth it. I mean sure it's a little smaller and will weigh a little less. But still, for the price and what you lose... I don't think it's worth the wait.
    Sure, maybe it'll be ok down the road. But if you want a DSLite for Christmas then go with the DSLite.

Back