• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Buying a second Gameboy/DS to trade with yourself?

Years
    Have any of you ever been guilty of buying a second Gameboy/DS, for the sole purpose of trading with yourself? I've never done it, but I've obtained an Alakazam and a Rhyperior, within seconds of my sister getting her DS. I'll admit that I may consider doing it if my Pokemon obsession is still going strong in college.

Kamitsure-chan

Massive Cynthia fangirl. :3
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Apr 15, 2011
    I did; that was part of the reason I bought my DSi (the other reason was that the hinges are breaking on my DS Lite and I didn't want to have to pay for them to get fixed as it runs the risk of happening again). XD

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
    My gameboy advance started dying, so I got a new one. After it "had a friend" it stopped having problems. That's the extent of my money wasting though.

tkallab

Should have been in Dissidia
    Years
    If you have any friends that have a DS too, I wouldn't do it. Otherwise, I might consider. Luckily, I have a few friends with a DS :)

-Cygnus-

It's an odyssey
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2015
    I have an old GBA that I had before I got my SP, so I have multiple Gameboy's, but they were both gifts :P I never really thought about trading in between them until long after I got my SP

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I didn't intend on having 2 DS systems, but I kept my DS Lite when I got my DSi because not only did I want to keep playing the GBA games, I also wanted to trade Pokemon to myself.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
    I am guilty of it, but this was way before wi-fi came along. I used to get each game too, just to make sure I got all of the available pokemon in the region. But now I can spend less money (poor college student) and use wi-fi for trades :3

leana9101

Drifting...
    Years
    I have two DS. Although it was b accident, it really comes in handy for when I have to trade with myself. I have the original gigantic DS and I will soon be getting the 3DS, although that is because I just sold my DSi.

Years
    I first had a original Black DS then it broke (stupid Action Replay!! >:S) so then I got a Red and Black DS Lite. Then the screen on the DS Lite got all jacked up, but it still played (stupid Action Replay!! >:S) SO I got a DSi and I decied to trade from my GBA games to Diamond, then trade with my DSi (on Platinum) :D

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Guilty for buying another GBA to trade with myself. v_v /lonely kid

As for a DS, I wanted to upgrade to a Lite and my screen on my other one was screwing around so it's just an added plus that I can trade with myself for the DS generation. ^-^

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2024
    I have done this myself. Since none of my peers play Pokemon it was pretty much a necessity to fill my Pokedex back in the Gen I-II days. Even now that Wi-Fi is available, it's still useful if you have trouble finding a trading partner. And with the Pokeshifter in B/W requiring the use of two systems, I find it pretty convenient.

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    Nah. First was a game boy colour and I made do without another. Then I got a GBA and had a chance to trade, but it was also so I could play GBA games. Then I got a GBA SP fir a christmas or birthday, can't remember, but I hadn't asked for it. My parents didn't actually even realise it was just another version of the GBA, they thought it was an entirely new console. So I finally had something to trade between GBA games.

Then I got an original DS and I am NOT getting another one. I'll stick to trading with my younger brother on the few occasions I see him. Though we end up not doing that anyway, I don't really care.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
    I have 2 DSlite so I can trade with myself. I used to take my sisters but she got annoyed so I just bought another one so I could trade with myself. Since then I had to buy a 3rd one after one of them broke.

Years
    lol..i did too...bought game boy metal and color then trade from pokemon gold to pokemon blue...i cant remember when..maybe 7,8 years ago...

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Fortunately, I don't have to worry about having to buy another DS/Gameboy for trading purposes. I have a brother and since he's also into Pokémon, we both get the consoles and games for it, so I don't have a problem with that. Besides, for the excuse of needing another one to trade Pokémon, I don't think my parents would like the idea of that. XD

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I did that with the GBA. As far as the DS goes, my brother had one, and now he has two because I gave him my old DS Phat when I bought my Lite.

With Wi-fi in 4th gen I don't really need two DS units. Except for times like now when I can't get on wi-fi :/

Back