• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Talk] Campaign Tales

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
  • How's the current campaign going? What cool/funny/clever/insane moments have you and your party experienced? Tell me all about your adventures, new or old!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Campaign? You mean as in D&D or as in a RP?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    the last third or half of the second-last mini-campaign i was in is still making me excited to think about.

We were four agents for an oppressive regime sent to a secluded mountain town to chase down rebels who had stolen important plans. Instead of keeping a dignified low progile, on our first night there we got the whole town madly drunk in a tavern party and in history books it became known as The Night Few Remember.

A few sessions later when we finally found the rebel base in the mountains, our monk/sorcerer also remembered that he multi-multi-classed into druid and turned himself into a mouse that could sneak in and set fire to a barrel of gunpowder that conveniently sat near all the enemies. Unfortunately he didn't count the barrels and they were actually seven. All enemies instantly killed or incapacitated, my bard who was watching this through a window survived because I was allowed to duck, the druid only survived because gimmepie was kind enough to say he got cover behind a table in the last second. And also it triggered a lavine that buried Sapphy and our fourth member so we immediately had to do a skill challenge to dig them out before they suffocated. And then we somehow decided to debate and argue instead of keeping watch, so when the thieves we meant to find in the first place finally got there they took us by surprise so we had to fight blind in magical fog. Fun!

And of course the subsequent end twist. The monk/sorcerer/druid stole the plans in the night and ran off as a deserter. I panicked, Sapphy's char suggested they pretend they didn't find his footprints and couldn't follow, but since that was immediate treason and our boss was literally scrying on us and my bard was super torn about what to do (follow his laws or follow his friend??) he ended up Hold Person-ing Sapphy and then Dimension Door'd away saying he was gonna chase after the deserter alone. Sapphy's char was brought back to prison by our lawfully evil fourth member and met a sad sad fate, while my char kept running until everybody understood that the fucker had also deserted. Finally in a smol final scene, my bard found the monk/sorc/druid and his new allies in a cute house on a meadow and gosh. It was just. Yeah it was such a wild ride. Gimmepie knows how to run his shit (and my co-players are amazing).

Years
  • This happened years ago back when I was still DMing 5th edition D&D for a game store. They were running some sort of event, I forget exactly what, and asked me if I could run a one shot for them. I agreed and told them that anyone who wanted to play just needed to bring any 20th level character to the table if they wanted to play.

Fast forward to the day and I've got about 10 or so people at the table ready to play. A rather high amount of people for this kind of store but I'm not exactly surprised, high level one shots generally bring a lot of people to the table. We had two clerics, a few fighters, a wizard, a sorcerer, a few multi-classes, but the star of this story brought a 20th level circle of the moon druid.

The session starts as the large party is on a ship, after a few character introductions and a bit of light role-play they're attacked by a large pirate vessel. Sailing along side of them they fired arrows and grapples at the party's ship, trying to board and take their ship. The wizard, sorcerer and one of the fighters did fine however surprisingly enough not too many other people brought ranged weapons with them so the fight was actually rather rough on them. The druid ended up shifting into an eagle and flying high into the air, circling the enemy pirate ship.

Turn two occurred and the enemy ship successfully managed to land a few grapples despite the parties best attempt to cut themselves free. Fireball after lightning bolt after volley of arrows desperately being used to fend off the invaders. That is, until it came to the druid's turn. The druid asked if they could roll a perception check to identify who the captain of their ship was. I didn't even make them roll, told them it was rather clear who it was by their clothing even from high up. This druid gave an affirmative nob before telling me the following. "In that case I would like to dive bomb the captain and... just before I reach him shapeshift into a mammoth and crash into them."

With a surprised look I simply asked for them to roll to hit, not quite expecting that from them. They rolled a 17 plus whatever bonus to attack they had as I was quickly flipping through my book, looking for the rules for fall damage. They told me the result and I quickly started rolling dice.

I had the druid take the maximum amount of fall damage the game would allow, which after rolled ended up being 79 points of damage. Not even enough damage to knock them out of the shapeshift form, much less threaten the druid what so ever. The captain on the other hand took the fall damage, the damage from the druid's charging mammoth attack, as well as damage from frigid water as the mammoth crashed them through three floors of pirate ship. The ship was splintered in half and quickly sunk along with the rest of the attacking crew. As for the druid... well, they're a druid. After basically shrugging off the damage from the fall they shifted into a dolphin and quickly returned to the allied ship as they cut away at the few remaining grappling ropes. The druid got their hero moment for the one shot and I quickly had to come up with something else to fill out some time, cause I expected that fight to take at least an hour!

Years
  • 20th level circle of the moon druid.

The single most broken thing you can be without multi-class shenanigans in 5e, and maybe even then lmao. That's a really cool creative use of the class though.

As for me, I've got a few of these at this point so I'll come back with some other ones later. But for now, let me tell you about Jade. Jade was a tabaxi Sorcerer with four Hit Points at level one but also twenty Charisma and questionable morals. He and the other two party members found themselves trapped in a prison that used prisoners as gladiators for entertainment. We were assigned to the human block because they didn't really have blocks for half-orcs, tortles or tabaxi. Our goal was to escape.

Well, Jade began escape prep by smuggling a weapon back into the prison by stuffing it inside the corpse of a jackal the party had just killed in the arena. We convinced the guards to let us keep it for food. This method of smuggling tools into the prison became a trend. So did getting the captured smith in there to use the bones from those creatures to make more shoddy tools.

Meanwhile, Jade discovered that it's really easy to get people to do what you want if they're terrified of you. Using that high Charisma, he started convincing the other inmates that he could kill them all if he wanted to - never mind he had four HP and would die if sneezed on. After a while, he had collected quite a few individuals. Quite literally, he viewed them as a collection. Prison gang would also be a fair term. Jade did not bother learning the names of the prisoners, he renamed them all Jeff. This has sparked a long running trend of NPCs and mounts added to groups being called Jeff.

Anyway, we staged a mass breakout and succeeded in being let go because the owner of the prison didn't want to die. And all of the Jeffs lived! Those ones anyway...

Years
  • The campaign I'm currently playing is interesting because it's heavily based off the fan game Pokemon Insurgence- and I started playing it not long after the campaign started, completely independent of it! Which meant that as I started the game I recognized a lot of plot points but couldn't quite put my finger on where they were from lol
    When we came back next I realized what was going on and shared a little chuckle with the DM for being "in the know"; I don't think anyone else at the table would be likely to recognize it.

Anyways, another interesting thing happened in the campaign itself, when I decided to do the classic "get blackout drunk and commit some unspeakable crime" (literally; the authorities refused to tell me what I had done). The party could technically pay the fine but chose not to, so I decided the best plan of action would be to use my Rogue lockpicking skills to break out of jail and run away as fast as I could. The party eventually joined up with me again and I offered them potions I had found in a dungeon in exchange for their promise not to rat me out, and we escaped to a nearby city together. It's a good thing medieval ages don't have long-distance communication or I'd be screwed.

Back