• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Can we get back to animals?

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
Years
  • Okay, I was dissapointed in the IV gen of pokemon, because alot of the pokemon got dumb. They were cool and unique and stuff, but they just got too "out there" I hope gen V has some more animal based pokemon and not ridiculous metal dragons or stupid stuff like that. i mean the typing is cool and the moves are cool, but i feel like they could try harder to base them off real life stuff.

also for the next fossils i have a suggestion:

a sabertoothed tiger fossil and that one dinosaur that had a club tail (presumably one has high atks and one has high defs)

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    I didn't notice a particular move away from animals in Gen IV, but I do like Pokemon based on more unusual things.

Ayselipera

I sort of agree. I think the simple designs of the first and second generation kept me satisfied. I really don't have a problem with the third generation either. The moves seem fine to me though. I've never had a problem with any of the pokemon moves. There are so many that if you don't like one then you don't have to use it.

Dashi_sato

New ROMhacker
    Years
  • 3rd and 4th gen pokemon look like neopets. 1st and 2nd gen are more like animals. I loooovve johto pokemon, because they are more out there than gen 1, but still believable. Some of the sh!t in gen 3 is soo crazy and unbelievable, like wtf is nosepass. stupid.

Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2011
    Yea, some of the new pokemon are just...Ugh...

The games just got progressively worse as the new generations were released.

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    First generation wasn't exactly all animals either. We've got magnets, living Poke Balls, piles of sludge, computer programs, a giant shapeshifting amoeba...

C'mon people, I know the original games were big parts of your childhoods, they were for me too, but don't knock the newer ones just because they're not exactly the same. Stop using the nostalgia filter for your morning coffee already...

Tox

fight me
    Years
  • I don't have a problem with the new generations. The starters are a lot uglier and everything but you don't HAVE to use them. My only problem with Generation IV was the ridiculous evolutions that they added to the older Pokémon. Magnezone, Rhyperior, Tangrowth, Mime Jr., Glaceon, Leafeon, Probopass, Mamoswine... Need I go on?

Eevee-Freak

AmberAnonymous
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2012
    Most of the 3rd an 4th gen's pokes sucked, gen 1 and 2 rocked but it went downhill after crystal. Most of em are based on animals, but because of all the extra stuff, you cant recognise em anymore

Years
  • 1st and 2nd gen are more like animals.

That's because they were just owls, seals, crabs, pidgeons, etc. thrown into a fictional world.

I have mixed feelings about all the Pokemon. My favorite designs are between 2nd and 3rd. 1st gen was way too simple, 2nd gen was lacking a bit of creativity. 3rd Gen was good, but I hate the round features we were beginning to see on most Pokemon. Let's just say 4th gen designs were a bit too imaginative...

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • It's like all of Gen. III and IV Pokemon were surrealistic that came purely from the game designers' head.

I think that they are getting a little bit too creative, but I also think that it should be this way to keep the fact that this is Pokemon, not real life.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • I don't have a problem with the new generations. The starters are a lot uglier and everything but you don't HAVE to use them. My only problem with Generation IV was the ridiculous evolutions that they added to the older Pokémon. Magnezone, Rhyperior, Tangrowth, Mime Jr., Glaceon, Leafeon, Probopass, Mamoswine... Need I go on?

I agree, but i have to say i like the new eeveelutions that they pump out, they never really dissapoint me and mamoswine was cool i guess, but magnezone and magmortar and electrive were a little much for me. Honchkrow was probably my favorite new evelution to an old one.

Lana.

*spin*
    Years
  • First generation wasn't exactly all animals either. We've got magnets, living Poke Balls, piles of sludge, computer programs, a giant shapeshifting amoeba...

C'mon people, I know the original games were big parts of your childhoods, they were for me too, but don't knock the newer ones just because they're not exactly the same. Stop using the nostalgia filter for your morning coffee already...
    This, pretty much. I find all of the generations to be perfectly fine, really. The only one I'm not too fond of is Hoenn, and even then I still have some favorites in there.

*shrugs* I'm perfectly fine with the designs right now. I don't see a problem with them, to be honest. Of course, there are a few weird ones in Gen IV, but there were a few weird ones in Gens I and II as well.

Dragard

Ghoul Soul
    Years
  • I personally like the fact that they're going away from real life animals. Either way, Pokemon are still Pokemon =/

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
  • Okay, I was dissapointed in the IV gen of pokemon, because alot of the pokemon got dumb. They were cool and unique and stuff, but they just got too "out there" I hope gen V has some more animal based pokemon and not ridiculous metal dragons or stupid stuff like that. i mean the typing is cool and the moves are cool, but i feel like they could try harder to base them off real life stuff.

also for the next fossils i have a suggestion:

a sabertoothed tiger fossil and that one dinosaur that had a club tail (presumably one has high atks and one has high defs)

Actually, if you payed any attention, you'd see that Generation I and II have just as many Non-animal creatures as III and IV:

Electrode
    Voltorb
    Grimer
    Muk
    Gastly
    Haunter
    Gengar
    Clefa
    Clefairy
    Cefable
    Porygon
    Porygon2
    Wobuffet
    Magnemite
    Magneton
    Machop
    Machoke
    Machamp
    Hitmonlee
    Hitmonchan
    Hitmontop
    Tyrogue
    Ditto
    Celebi
    Misdreavus
    Mr. Mime
    Jynx
    Unown
    Koffing
    Weezing
    Sudowoodo
    Exeggcute
    Exeggutor
    Oddish
    Gloom
    Bellosom
    Sunkern
    Sunflora
    Vileplume
    Tangela
    Bellsprout
    Weepinbel
    Victreebel
    Hypno
    Alakazam
    Igglybuff
    Jigglypuff
    Wigglytuff

And I'm sure I left out some from there. Also, Generation III is 7 years old already, start putting your nostoli-goggles on and calling I-III "The GameBoy Line".

Last edited:

Vendour

Water & Fire Pokemon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2014
    I agree with the OP completely. The majority of the newer generation of Pokemon look so silly I can't stand it. The first and second generations of Pokemon were great. Generation III was the beginning of the silly looking Pokemon, and the Generation IV Pokemon are just plain ridiculous for the most part.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
  • I think the designs were fine in Gen IV and III. They were still based on animals. Eg: Treecko, Torchic, Tailow, Swellow, Altaria, Camerupt, Wailord, Lumineon, Bibarel, Skorupi etc...

I think it was pretty obvious they were animals, it wasn't as obvious as Seel or Krabby but they were pretty hard to miss as a Pokemon based off an animal.

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
    Years
  • I like the newer pokemon, exactly the same as I liked the older versions, possibly more maybe. Every gen has had unrealistic/weird pokemon chansey, mew, waboffet, sudowoodo to name a few. If they made pokemon all based of animals, and all of them simple, it'd suck more then you already think it does. Remember it's Pocket Monsters, not Pocket Animals

Back