• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Help] Can you help me please

Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2021
    Hi there, I am a 46 year old dad who is trying to master the basic Pokemon rules of game play as my 6 year is Pokemon crazy stage just now and would love to master as a father and son challenge. Pretty fascinating and might even get into myself! I need somebody who is patient to answer my numerous questions and kind of mentor me and then I can hopefully translate into six year old language. I'm a scientist and a stickler for detail and doing it right. Would anyone like to help little old me and thanks for being patient with me. Ps I am currently reading the Pokemon encyclopaedia, have sent away for the basics game to master the basic game play strategy and just adore flicking through beautiful cards to buy on eBay. I'm very tempted to buy some gxs or rainbows is it. I watched a 12 minute video explaining Pokemon on You Tube by a very accomplished gentleman, but could only really understand it up to 5 minutes. Warmest Regards.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Hi Ross! Welcome to PokéCommunity and to the fandom at large. Are you referring to the trading card game (TCG for short) or the Nintendo console games? I figure you mean the TCG as you mention cards, but just making sure! Most people who talk about "pokemon game" mean the digital Nintendo console games for DS and Switch, I think :)

DrWho42

ka kaw
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    hi ross! welcome to the forums! you're in the best place to learn the game. 😁 i got a friend into the tcg and he's a new fan.

Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2021
    Awwww thanks guys for the replies, really generous of you to make time for me. Yes sorry, shows by ignorance; it's the trading card game I was meaning. No absolutely, I'm really fascinated by the characters and being a science teacher, love the concept of evolution and trainer/energy/location cards. Think I've got me head around the basics of basic/ stage 1 to 4 cards and energy cards. Have no idea to be honest about how trainer cards and location cards work and how they operate in conjunction with the other two card types or what all the info on a card means (especially the weakness/resistance, single icons or double icons). From my very primitive, limited understanding, I have to construct a deck of 60 cards, then will bring seven into play competitively. Have seen sone beauties on eBay, but hesitant as unsure what the promo black cards are and if they are legitimate to use, holos, rainbows. I know the gx ones is it come into play as a single entities, in contrast to a second stage card which needs the equivalent basic and first stage card below it. The background information on the character cards were so eloquently and humbly described , struck a cord with me which could relate to. Warmest Regards.

Ross

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Awwww thanks guys for the replies, really generous of you to make time for me. Yes sorry, shows by ignorance; it's the trading card game I was meaning. No absolutely, I'm really fascinated by the characters and being a science teacher, love the concept of evolution and trainer/energy/location cards. Think I've got me head around the basics of basic/ stage 1 to 4 cards and energy cards. Have no idea to be honest about how trainer cards and location cards work and how they operate in conjunction with the other two card types or what all the info on a card means (especially the weakness/resistance, single icons or double icons). From my very primitive, limited understanding, I have to construct a deck of 60 cards, then will bring seven into play competitively. Have seen sone beauties on eBay, but hesitant as unsure what the promo black cards are and if they are legitimate to use, holos, rainbows. I know the gx ones is it come into play as a single entities, in contrast to a second stage card which needs the equivalent basic and first stage card below it. The background information on the character cards were so eloquently and humbly described , struck a cord with me which could relate to. Warmest Regards.

Ross

Hi again Ross! Maybe the TCG is a bit too complicated for a 6 year old, while the console games might be a tad easier. The card game is based off the games but have their entirely own strategies and mechanics, of course. I played it when I was 9 and for a few years, it was my first foray into the pokémon community as well :D

Perhaps see if you can find one of these starter decks in a store near you, or order online? https://www.gamersdecide.com/articles/pokemon-tcg-best-starter-decks Generally if you want to play the game, getting a pre-built starter deck is probably the very easiest way to go for learning how the game is meant to be played. At least it seems that way; I am not a player myself now ahah.

You could also take a read in this guide made by resident TCG players, and hopefully some things become more clear then :3 https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=451080

Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2021
    Hi and thanks for the reply. Yes, totally agree. Think how the card game works be more applicable to me at this stage, do adults okay the card game? I will look at the console format for the wee man and just let him battle and swap the cards with his wee buds based on bigger HP value. Brill, I will have at look at your links and educate myself for the time being. Thank you for helping me and speak soon. Warmest Regards.

Ross 👍🙂

Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2021
    Ps that was do adults still okay the card game or is that just for wee people?

Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2021
    Oops typo, no was meant to write do a lot of adults play the Pokemon tcg? Cheers

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    A lot of adults play both the video games and the TCG (or I assume that they do for the TCG, I don't know anything about that part of the franchise)

Pokemon has this image of being a kids' thing, but really a lot of adults are invested in it too. A lot of people on this very site are adults, many who are nearly 30, are at 30, or are over 30.

Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2021
    Cool! That's reassuring, was just checking that I wasn't the only one on their 40S and the odd one out. Thanks a mill 🙂👍

Years
  • Hi there Ross,

When I was a child I never played the trading card game. I thought collecting the Pokémon cards was just "cool" to collect. I never once ever played the trading card game personally. I got into the games, and think that is a good start for a young child if they can read decently.

Years
  • Awwww thanks guys for the replies, really generous of you to make time for me. Yes sorry, shows by ignorance; it's the trading card game I was meaning. No absolutely, I'm really fascinated by the characters and being a science teacher, love the concept of evolution and trainer/energy/location cards. Think I've got me head around the basics of basic/ stage 1 to 4 cards and energy cards. Have no idea to be honest about how trainer cards and location cards work and how they operate in conjunction with the other two card types or what all the info on a card means (especially the weakness/resistance, single icons or double icons). From my very primitive, limited understanding, I have to construct a deck of 60 cards, then will bring seven into play competitively. Have seen sone beauties on eBay, but hesitant as unsure what the promo black cards are and if they are legitimate to use, holos, rainbows. I know the gx ones is it come into play as a single entities, in contrast to a second stage card which needs the equivalent basic and first stage card below it. The background information on the character cards were so eloquently and humbly described , struck a cord with me which could relate to. Warmest Regards.

Ross

Ross, as a fellow old guy, I would recommend downloading the TCG Online. It does a great job of walking you through the rules slowly and easily.

It's free to download, and each pack of cards gives you a code card that gives you a pack of cards in the Online game.

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2024
    Welcome to the site all I can say you are never too old to play Pokémon I love it I hope he will as well

Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2021
    Ross, as a fellow old guy, I would recommend downloading the TCG Online. It does a great job of walking you through the rules slowly and easily.

It's free to download, and each pack of cards gives you a code card that gives you a pack of cards in the Online game.

Sorry just noticed your reply there! Thsnks a mill for that, will do. 👍🙂

Years
  • Hi there, I am a 46 year old dad who is trying to master the basic Pokemon rules of game play as my 6 year is Pokemon crazy stage just now and would love to master as a father and son challenge. Pretty fascinating and might even get into myself! I need somebody who is patient to answer my numerous questions and kind of mentor me and then I can hopefully translate into six year old language. I'm a scientist and a stickler for detail and doing it right. Would anyone like to help little old me and thanks for being patient with me. Ps I am currently reading the Pokemon encyclopaedia, have sent away for the basics game to master the basic game play strategy and just adore flicking through beautiful cards to buy on eBay. I'm very tempted to buy some gxs or rainbows is it. I watched a 12 minute video explaining Pokemon on You Tube by a very accomplished gentleman, but could only really understand it up to 5 minutes. Warmest Regards.

Don't worry about your age, some of the longest standing members of the TCG community are people who were formerly just parents getting involved who stay involved for the game and the community, and whose kids are old enough to have kids getting into the game now.

I second learning through the TCG Online's built-in tutorial.

Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2021
    Awwww cheers Don, that makes me feel better and puts my mind at rest. Any tips for constructing the 60 card deck, have all my energy cards, pretty strong trainers coming from around the world, gxs, but bit confused what pokemons basic and evolved to include in my 20 cards out the 60. Cheers

Years
  • Awwww cheers Don, that makes me feel better and puts my mind at rest. Any tips for constructing the 60 card deck, have all my energy cards, pretty strong trainers coming from around the world, gxs, but bit confused what pokemons basic and evolved to include in my 20 cards out the 60. Cheers

You should pick a specific Pokemon card that you like that can do a good chunk of damage efficiently and build the deck around getting that Pokemon out and ready to attack. Pokemon with an Ability that lets you draw cards an additional time per turn while it sits on the bench tend to be fantastic support cards.

As a side note: a 20-20-20 split is less than ideal for the long term, but it is ok for learning how to play. Generally, you'll find you want more trainers than anything as trainers help with deck consistency, and my own decks tend to run between 24 and 30 trainers. The kid will generally just want to focus in on the Pokemon I'd imagine, though, so they may not want to use trainer cards to up the consistency of their decks.

Back