• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cancelled games

Yukari

Games get cancelled all the time. Most of the time it's game that we never even hear about and were cancelled behind closed doors very early in development. But sometimes the games are shown off, get everyone hyped up, and then get cancelled. So what are some cancelled games that you would like to have played?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 16, 2024

The Last Guardian! It's not exactly cancelled, I don't think - they never officially called it off so it's still "in development", but it has been so since 2007 and Sony has refused to say whether it's on hold or still in development or anything, so it doesn't really look like it's going anywhere anytime soon. It was announced in 2009 and no new information has been released on it since. :c

Here's the plot on Wikipedia:
    The Last Guardian's story follows that of a boy who is trying to escape from a setting resembling the ruins of a large expansive castle. The game will revolve around the developing friendship between the boy and a giant, feathered creature resembling a griffin named Trico (トリコ Toriko?). The name of the creature can be taken to mean "prisoner" (虜 toriko?), "baby bird" (鳥の子 tori no ko?), or a portmanteau of "bird" (鳥 tori?) and "cat" (猫 neko?). Trico has spears and arrows stuck in its back, and is initially bound by a chain. Later, it is freed and is shown attacking an armored soldier. Screenshots, along with the E3 trailer, show the boy attempting to sneak past and attack other soldiers.[11] Trico will at first be hostile toward the boy, but during the course of the game, the two will develop an emotional attachment to each other. Ueda suggested there may be similar creatures like Trico in the game, but could not confirm this.

Some speculated, based on the tone of the 2009 E3 trailer and of Team Ico's past games, that The Last Guardian will end sadly; both Penny Arcade and Zero Punctuation postulated the ending of the game would involve the death of either the boy or Trico. In response to these theories, creator Fumito Ueda addressed them by stating the story is "open-ended, and for you guys to figure out."

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    I don't usually dig deep enough to find games that are still in development -- nor go out of my way to look at upcoming games at all, really. Even with more recent games, the only things I really knew about ahead of time were the remakes of Gauntlet and Shadowgate for PC. Never liked the idea of pre-ordering, so I don't generally bother to look into games that aren't on the shelf yet.

Now that that's out of the way.. There is one that comes to mind. Just one. I was kind of excited for it until Bethesda broke it, and that's FOOL. (Fallout Online.) The forum for the game was so active for so long, and they had some really neat ideas generating there! It was hard for even me to miss it, haha. But, you know, legalities and all.

Funny thing is, I don't even care for MMOs. I was just excited to see a new Fallout game coming from Interplay. I guess having one from Obsidian is the closest I'll get to that. =p

TY

Generals 2... which eventually became C&C Online which also got cancelled... EA you bastards -_-

Yukari

Generals 2... which eventually became C&C Online which also got cancelled... EA you bastards -_-
    Well, that's EA for you. Those *****es screw up and crush the dreams of video game fans.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    There isn't any cancelled game I would particularly like to play, but there are some that have been released in Japan and not anywhere else outside. From top of my head, one would be Rockman EXE Operate Shooting Star, which, I believe, was released around five years ago or so.

This game is sort of a crossover between Mega Man Battle Network and Star Force series. Its plot is mostly the same as Battle Network 1, for those who've played it, but includes an extra chapter (unrelated to story-line, but still exists nonetheless) and an additional playable character--Geo Stelar, protagonist of Star Force. I've seen a couple of game-play footage here and there, and things seemed very intriguing. It's too bad that all of it is in Japanese, which I don't understand at all.

I'm not sure if there's any English translation patch for this game (haven't tried looking into it before), but if there is, that's fantastic; will definitely consider giving it a go at some point.

Years
    • she/her
    • home
    • Seen Aug 16, 2023
    as for me, it's the third installment in the Zero Escape series, following 999 (Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors) and Virtue's Last Reward. as of right now it's been put on hold due to low popularity of the first two games in Japan.

999 and VLR are both adventure games/visual novels in which you go through the Nonary Game, a deadly game in which the 9 participants have been locked in a facility and have to work together to find a way out. gameplay is split into a puzzle part, where the player has to solve puzzles to open a door, and the visual novel part in which you can make decisions that affect which ending you're going to get.

VLR managed to make me incredibly curious for the contents of the final game, as it's basically the final piece of the puzzle, but as far as i know there are no plans of continuing development...

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • as for me, it's the third installment in the Zero Escape series, following 999 (Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors) and Virtue's Last Reward. as of right now it's been put on hold due to low popularity of the first two games in Japan.

999 and VLR are both adventure games/visual novels in which you go through the Nonary Game, a deadly game in which the 9 participants have been locked in a facility and have to work together to find a way out. gameplay is split into a puzzle part, where the player has to solve puzzles to open a door, and the visual novel part in which you can make decisions that affect which ending you're going to get.

VLR managed to make me incredibly curious for the contents of the final game, as it's basically the final piece of the puzzle, but as far as i know there are no plans of continuing development...
    *cries*
    Oh, someone else actually cares about ZE... much happy.

Anyways, I wouldn't rule this as cancelled game... Kotaro did say he will do his utmost to somehow do the third version.
    And if worst comes, he will move to USA and Kickstarter it =D

Years
    • she/her
    • home
    • Seen Aug 16, 2023

*cries*
    Oh, someone else actually cares about ZE... much happy.

Anyways, I wouldn't rule this as cancelled game... Kotaro did say he will do his utmost to somehow do the third version.
    And if worst comes, he will move to USA and Kickstarter it =D

yeah, it's true it's not 'cancelled' per se but i figured it was appropriate since it's not in development (anymore) at the moment...
    i was wondering about that yeah, i'd heard he couldn't do a kickstarter from Japan. but he still seems really involved with the whole Operation Bluebird thing, right? it makes me happy to see the original writer being so involved and actually reaching out to the community like that. i'd definitely support it if it came to a kickstarter!

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • yeah, it's true it's not 'cancelled' per se but i figured it was appropriate since it's not in development (anymore) at the moment...
    i was wondering about that yeah, i'd heard he couldn't do a kickstarter from Japan. but he still seems really involved with the whole Operation Bluebird thing, right? it makes me happy to see the original writer being so involved and actually reaching out to the community like that. i'd definitely support it if it came to a kickstarter!
    You are not the only one =D
    If he Kickstartered it, I wouldn't be surprised if he made enough funds in one week :D

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years

• The Last Guardian! It's not exactly cancelled, I don't think - they never officially called it off so it's still "in development", but it has been so since 2007 and Sony has refused to say whether it's on hold or still in development or anything, so it doesn't really look like it's going anywhere anytime soon. It was announced in 2009 and no new information has been released on it since. :c

Here's the plot on Wikipedia:

I think Sony actually just released a statement a little while ago that they were still working on this. But like you said, there hasn't much clear it information about this game. It's a shame considering Shadow of the Collosus is easily in my Top 3 of my favorite games and Id love to see a game like this finally comes fruition.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
  • Cancelled games
    Good night, sweet prince (Of all saiyans).

Well, it was unlikely to ever come to America anyway.

H.Lecter

Two-dimensional
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2015
    One game I really am sad that it never came out is is "Hogs of War 2"

Hogs of War (1) was kind of like Worms in 3D but it achieved something the 3D worms games did not: It did not suck. Hogs of War was a really great game which had a really cool multiplayer. There where several rumors that a sequel should be released for PS2 but it never happened.

The developer (and owner of the brand) was Infrogrames with later became Atari. They went out of business and sold all their brands at once. But the new owner used only a few ones to make free to play/pay to win mobile games and therefore I think that a Hogs of War 2 will never happen.

If it would be released today for PSN with some Cel Shading Graphics I would still buy it.

幕之内 一歩

<b><font color=
    Years
  • Big fan of the Highlander mythos. And a game I was looking forward to at one point was Highlander the Game. I could only ever speculate traveling through time and doing unique things for that era or fighting certain fighting styles. It could have been a great RPG I think. Maybe even an open world game if done right. Alas.

Sauce for those who want it: https://highlander.wikia.com/wiki/Highlander:_The_Game

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I think Sony actually just released a statement a little while ago that they were still working on this. But like you said, there hasn't much clear it information about this game. It's a shame considering Shadow of the Collosus is easily in my Top 3 of my favorite games and Id love to see a game like this finally comes fruition.

!!

Just looked that up - good to know it hasn't been completely abandoned, at least. It better be amazing when it does come out.

Years
  • It wasn't cancelled per se, but the recent 3DS game Fantasy Life started out as a DS game with very different visuals. The end result is an amazing game, but there was something about the unused style that make the game seem even more charming. I would've loved to have played it. A similar looking game, Professor Layton's London Life, was included in NA and JP versions of Professor Layton and the Spectre's Call, so I suppose there's that.
    Here's a screenshot of the original version, for anyone interested:
    Spoiler:

Back