• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Chain Fishing Frustration

TheKurtzinator

Professional Derp/Trainer
Years
  • When I heard that you could find shiny Pokemon with a new method in X and Y, I was as happy as can be. I was always really good at fishing in the older games, especially Sapphire where you had to hit the a button multiple times before you hooked a Pokemon. So when I got my Super Rod, I went out to Azure Bay and caught a shiny Lanturn. It was my first shiny I had ever caught on my game in my ten years of playing this franchise. I had caught shiny Pokemon on other people's games but never on mine. Two days later, I caught a shiny Bascullin in Victory Road using the same method. I thought it was a full proof method. After 10 years of frustration, I got two shiny Pokemon in two days. So today, I decided to try to get a shiny Poliwag. My Lanturn was reeled in after 22 tries and my Bascullin was reeled in after 54 tries, so I figured it shouldn't take that long. Well, it has been 347 reels and I still don't have a shiny Poliwag...

So let me ask you out of curiosity: What is the longest fishing chain that you have had trying to find a shiny and what were you trying to catch?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Don't remember the exact number, but the highest amount of fish chain I've ever gotten would be somewhere around 40. I was trying to get myself a shiny Magikarp, but by moving away from the spot without realizing though, I ended up breaking my chain. Oh well, it doesn't really matter. I already have a shiny Magikarp in Black 2, so when PokéBank finally gets released, I could have it transferred instead. :] My second highest chain's around 25 and my third highest is 10.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I think I was at about 130 when my Poliwag chain died. It definitely is a bit frustrating, the same feeling as losing a Pokeradar chain.

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
  • My longest chain was 103, caught a Shiny Poliwhirl (now a Poliwrath). Sure, Chain Fishing can be frustrating, since you have to pay A LOT of attention and need some dedication because there are so many factors that could possibly mess up your chains... Like, when you move or reel your rod in too slow/fast...

Maybe you can just start over when it takes too long, sometimes still a matter of luck and "randomness" on how fast the wild Shiny will appear... My shortest chain was 7, but I had times where I was above 90 and still had nothing, or I messed up at around a chain of 70, so key here is focus and some dedication, you will get it eventually! ;)

AsuraMachina

Who Am I?
    Years
  • I had no idea you could chain fish! That opens a whole new ball game with this game for me!
    Although as i have said many times im just starting out im wondering if feebas is a catchable and if i can chain it :p

blayzin-it

ashes to ashes
    Years
  • Won't lie, my highest chain was like 7 :c
    And I kept losing my chains from nothing biting... damn it.
    And it gets boring when it's the same pokemon over and over..

She_Delphox

Years
  • I had no idea you could chain fish! That opens a whole new ball game with this game for me!
    Although as i have said many times im just starting out im wondering if feebas is a catchable and if i can chain it :p

No, Feebas isn't catchable in the game, so you can't chain him either. You need to obtain one via GTS or when Pokemon bank comes out (if that would ever happen), you can transfer a Feebas from the Gen.5 games :-)

Years
  • My chain wound up being somewhere around 11 or 12, but I cannot remember. However, I don't have any shiny Pokémon off of chain fishing yet, probably because I've stayed in the same location when fishing :p

She_Delphox

Years
  • My chain wound up being somewhere around 11 or 12, but I cannot remember. However, I don't have any shiny Pokémon off of chain fishing yet, probably because I've stayed in the same location when fishing :p

That's actually a good thing, you need to be in the same location/spot when you are chain fishing. :) If you would actually move during a chain, your chain will end immediately. You can pretty much chain fish anywhere but the chance of messing up a chain is higher when you fish in open water (or near the shore).
    The highest chance to encounter a shiny while chain fishing would be for you to use Surf, and find a fishing spot between some Rocks, and don't forget to bring a Pokemon with you knowing Suction Cups as an ability and put it in the first slot of your party ;)

Years
  • I've got a chain up to near 200 and got nothing from it. It gets annoying! I'm yet to actually catch what I've been trying to get from chain fishing... Just keep getting Claunchers.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2015
    I've only gotten one shiny from Chain Fishing and it was a Skrelp. Got it after 9 reels, so I was very lucky.

I've tried since then, getting to 30 or 40 a couple of times but usually I lose concentration and pull the reel in too slow, messing up the chain. I got so frustrated with that, I stopped doing Chain Fishing for a while.

Years
  • I didn't get my first chain fished shiny until my chain was at 193. About 2-3 hours of fishing nonstop so I was about to give up but 'lo and behold, shiny Horsea! I was trying for a shiny male Clauncher for the boyfriend.

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2020
    Both times i got around 40 tries, and i unded up getting a Shiny Horsea (now a level 80 Kingdra) and a shiny gyarados!!

Years
    • Seen Oct 6, 2015
    Shiny Skrelp after 28 reels. My third Shiny in two days now :)

The only thing is that the Masuda method at least lets me get as close as I can to a competitive shiny but hey, a shiny is a shiny. Can't complain.

Think I'm gonna try and Masuda for a Shiny Furfrou now. I have a Jap one just sitting in my box... Hmm

DearBigfoot

Mareep everywhere!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2014
    To those of you who can't seem to get their chains up past 10-15, try putting a level 1 inkay with suction cups ability in the front of your party, fainted. Also, don't be afraid to use headphones. I find that the audio cue makes me hit the button perfectly every time - while the visual cue is almost always a bit late.

I've snagged a shiny relicanth, horsea (now a kingdra), poliwag, and a barboach.

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2014
    havent really been interested so I havent tried it yet. I am going to soon. i want a shiny chinchou

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2016
    will someone actually explain how to chain fish?

and where the hell is this games super rod?

"It turns out that if you manage to get a chain of consecuctive fishing hooks, it will gradually increase the likelihood of finding a Shiny Pokémon, with the exact figures still to come. The higher the amount of Pokémon hooked, the more likely you get a shiny Pokémon, but as with PokéRadar, this is not a guarantee.

There are a few things that will break this consecutive streak, however. If you move from the spot, the streak is broken. If you pull in the rod too early, the streak is broken. If you don't get a nibble, the streak is broken. With the latter being a possibility, it's logical to have a Pokémon with the ability Suction Cups as your lead in order to increase the likelihood of hooking a Pokémon." - serebii.net/xy/fishchain.shtml

Also, you get the super rod from a fisherman on route 16.

Back