• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Chain Fishing

Years
  • Back in Pearl I remember some people thought it existed, but I tried with chains over 100 2-3 times and never found any shiny so I don't think the idea is new, but it seems that this game has a higher rate of shinies everywhere.

Years
  • DONT take my word for it, Idk if I am correct or not, look somewhere else. I just remember fishing in pearl trying to catch consecutively. I did the same in HG, but with nothing to show for either.
    I am currently playing platinum cause I just realized I still haven't even completed the Spear Pillar Giratina event and E4.
    Once I'm done with this, I will be back to MM Houndours and chain fishing! :D

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    I just caught a shiny clauncer at a chain od 43. Named it Red Lobster.

Years
  • Stupid question, but is a chain broken when you reel in a different pokemon than the previous one like the Pokeradar?

No, one way to check if your chaining correctly is the guys in the shack on R15. Chains are catching any pokemon as long as you don't break it by not catching a fish, bike, rollerskates, moving, ect.

GL on your fishing! :D

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • My highest chain is 86, and I kept going to about 30 and breaking with no results. :< But today, I found a shiny Skrelp at 49. :D

Years
  • This is really fun. My highest chain was 193 and that's how long it took me to get my first shiny.. was about to give up since it seemed like everyone else was getting them quickly. D: I've gotten 2 shiny Horsea and 2 shiny Claunchers from this. :3

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2017
    i got a shiny blue basculin today and a shiny remoraid. the shiny basculins green skin looks beatiful in shiny form and on x and y. i dont really like the purple remoraid though

Years
  • I have a question, and I am sorry if it was asked already, I don't feel like searching through all the pages lol.

When you do this, does it have to be the same Pokemon? Or is it okay to have a variety? Like, I was doing this for the first time today, and I was getting all Poliwhirl and then a Basculin showed up and assumed that broke the chain.

If anyone could answer, I would appreciate it! :3

Years
  • No, if you see other Pokemon it doesn't break your chain, and you can run away from the Pokemon, you don't have to knock them out.

I just got my first shiny from chain fishing, it's awesome! (chain of 44, a clauncher)

Years
  • No, if you see other Pokemon it doesn't break your chain, and you can run away from the Pokemon, you don't have to knock them out.

I just got my first shiny from chain fishing, it's awesome! (chain of 44, a clauncher)

Omg I feel dumb. I was battling them all, and started over whenever I saw a new Pokemon. Thanks for the info!

But honestly, I dont know how you guys have the patience for this!

Years
  • That's okay, I didn't know anything about it either like, 2 days ago, I just read everything I found about it.

If you follow the rules, I think it's a very secure and fast way to get shinies.

Tough it helps if Lady Luck is on your side.

Years
  • Got two more chains 37 and 42 no shiny yet. I hate my luck...
    Does anyone know if the wall/side rule works or not?

Years
  • At one point during my chain< I accidentally hopped on my bike and immediately got off without moving. Do you guys think that this would have affected anything?

Years
  • Omg I feel dumb. I was battling them all, and started over whenever I saw a new Pokemon. Thanks for the info!

But honestly, I dont know how you guys have the patience for this!

It's actually not too hard at all! A lot of people seem to get shinies relatively quickly. It's an awesome alternative and much better than potentially waiting 15 years before one shows up for you normally haha. You can do it. :D

Years
  • I read on another forum that saving doesn't break your chain, but turning the 3ds off does.

So I've been doing chain fishing for a few hours, and managed to get 2 more Claunchers and one Chinchou (this one took a loooong time, I had to choose another fishing spot because there was absolutely nothing at the previous one)

I don't know if it's been said before, but it seems you don't have to place your Pokemon with Suction Cups as the first Pokémon of your party.

I can attest to that because I switched my Inkay with Raichu for quite a while now and Pokémon are always biting!

Next I will have to try placing my Kirlia first in the hope of being able to use synchronize to get a shiny with a good nature.

Back