• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Character Customization

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    There's a ton of games out there that allows you to freely personalize your characters--how do you feel about this feature? Do you like it? In games that have this, do you usually take advantage of it, or do you not customize your players at all and leave them as they are? If you don't, then why not? :p

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I can sit for hours trying to create the perfect character in Elder Scrolls or Mass Effect. I love to customize and really put an imagined personality on my character, I guess it comes naturally from years of forum RPing :p Either that, or I never really grew up from playing with dolls as a child. Only nowadays my dolls are virtual. And often wield guns.

I seriously never think I've just gone with the standard preset option when creating a character. In deeper RPGs, like Icewind Dale and such, I also spend a lot of time choosing the talent points and background and race. I want it all to melt together into a believable character. Can't play with someone I feel I can't understand.

Some people I know are completely the opposite; they just want to hit "PLAY" and start shooting stuff. They couldn't care less about who they actually are playing as. I guess that's a way to game as well. Just not as fun and immersive imo ;)

TY

I can take ages with character customization, even for a simple game as Terraria XD

It just gives you so much freedom and creativity, unless the options are really limited to a few things.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Character customization has always been a plus in my book.

Yukari

It depends on the game and the depth of customization. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

Years
  • The ability to customize characters is probably one of the first things I look for in a game. I know it's not exactly available for console RPGs, but with MMORPGs it's an important aspect to attract someone like myself. I remember spending about an hour trying to customize my GW2 character because of the different options and story lines XD I spend more time trying to perfect my character customization then actually playing the game.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    If I'm going to be sitting in a character's head, or behind them, let alone listening to their voice if applicable, I'd better have made them. Strange that I should care, considering I don't tend to come up with a personality for them or consciously roleplay in any way. I just don't like my avatar in a game to be given attributes by others; being limited in choice of sex (ie. male-only, as is often the case) is my biggest single point of contention in RPGs. Perhaps that's what I dislike most about JRPGs. Anyway, I'm a worldbuilder and creator of characters myself, so maybe I just like to be possessive.

Years
  • Unpopular opinion, but I generally prefer not to be able to customize characters. It forces me to actually get into the mindset of someone who isn't me, and view the game's events through their eyes. Also helps tremendously with the immersiveness; I'm not constantly reminded that I'm playing a game.

Back