• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Character Customization

Years
    I highly doubt that. We saw that clothes shop in the Town on the second island, surely they wouldn't close that off until post-game. I would see absolutely no benefit of doing that, especially since they made a point of character customisation in the latest trailer.

Yeah, I thought that "postgame only customization" claim would be fake. The question is, will there be a clothes shop/salon on every island? Because I'd imagine those who don't like the default protagonist designs will want to know how soon you can start getting the clothes and hairstyles.

Like X/Y, I could see each clothing shop have different clothes that change every day.

raxic_ex

I'm Buizel of the Expedition Society!
    Years
    I am pretty we can confirm that the 2nd Island will have an outfit shop.It isn't the biggest town and is one of the less talked about areas seen on the big map.

Picture from trailer: Right hand side. Pretty sure that is an outfit shop
    Spoiler:

Island and Location: Orange circle is about where the outfit shop is at. Put the circle on the other side of the town. The big map didn't show the 2nd Arc at the north part.
    Spoiler:

I know there's an outfit shop somewhere, but will there be more than 1 outfit shop? The latest trailer from japan only showcase the player go inside a hair saloon shop (scissor sign), then it jump onto a boutique, where we don't know where it's located at. If we were to assume the boutique is at the second island (that place is also seems appropriate for festive to be held there, with the japanese culture thingy), I guess other places won't have boutique? Because my reasons is this:

1. if there are another boutique, will they need Festive Coins as well?
    2. if they need Festive Coins as well, does that mean there's festivals (hence same mini-games, since festives are about them) on every island? that seems like a "copy + paste" which could make things boring.
    3. if other boutiques won't need Festive Coins and just uses normal cash, then why implement Festive Coins if you can just set the price higher with normal cash?

I just assume there'll be 1 boutique in the game because I dont think festivals all over the Alola Region are logical to me. Yet maybe I'm just thinking too much on the Festive Coins :/

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    XY only had 1 post game outfit, Slurrpuff dress for female and Pangoro hat for male. I don't think they will lock clothes for post game.

Festive coins is maybe for some type of special clothes, what if you can get some Kimono and other special occasion outfits with them ?

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    As others have said and as I said in my post, I am positive there will be more than 1 outfit shop. There might be one on Melemele, but I cannot tell from the pictures we have seen. I think there is also one other city or town on Melemele that is north of the big town there, so we might have one there.

We know there is one on Akala, as I showed above. I think there will be at least one more somewhere on that island.

Big Island I am certain will also have 1 or 2. The last island, the one with the canyons, is the town that has all the boat houses in the trailers. But again, I was not able to see an outfit shop.

I think Kalos had 6 Outfit Shops. I don't know why they would have any less than that unless the shops were expanded to a much larger section, but I think there will still be at least one on each island, as i would think they would want to catch each Island's Style.

There area areas on the map, on every island, that could give us festival coins. And I don't know why they would lock customization behind the storyline. Even in Kalos, we were at least able to change hats.

As for the Salon there is probably only one. I am pretty sure that it is on first island or second island as well, but not in the same town as the outfit shop I posted above. As there is no real reason to have more than 1. But who knows? We were able to change hair as soon as we got by the 1st Gym once we did the stuff in Lumious, so being on the first island is likely.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Just so long as they did what XY did and have a hat shop very early on so I can change that awful hat asap I don't mind if I have to wait a bit longer for the real changing of clothes and hair. But keeping it all for the post-game is unreasonable.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    I'm not sure if they would introduce the customization after getting through post-game, since some people wanted to change the trainer's appearance on the get-go, so I think the customization saloon/shop should appear in Sun/Moon on at least second or third town/city they visited just like in X and Y.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    There might be one post game shop, but I think it just be new designs and cost a lot more.
    I don't know what it would have, but I kinda consider the Lumiose Boutique as a Post Game Shop, even though I think people got in it before finishing the game somehow. I know I didn't get to get until after I finished the game and Investigation Missions.

Years
    Post-game outfit shop is ridiculous. Unless the incentive is to get the player to complete the game as fast as possible so they can access the outfit shop then, but... even that move is nonsensical

Having character customization post-game just wouldn't make sense, it would really reduce the feeling of your own adventure. Plus, there's almost guaranteed to be outfit shops throughout Alola.

I agree with them. The point of customization is to make your trainer feel more like an individual, like your adventure being more personal than ever. Given the large amount of clothing items, having several boutiques in Alola would sense. In Kalos, I believe we had around 6 with one special post-game clothing item, aka the aforementioned Pangoro hat and Slurpuff dress.

My guess for how many boutiques in Alola - considering there's four islands I could say four, each one having different items that are on offer every day like in X/Y, but having one boutique on each island. I could also see two for each island, having eight all together if they really want to have a lot of options in this game.

blue

gucci
    Years
    I would think that each island would hold at least one boutique and/or hair salon. X/Y had the first clothes shop in Santalune City, that meant you could change your clothes before even getting the first badge. It would be pointless to introduce (or expand) such a fundamental feature only for it to be activated post-game.

Years
    Personally speaking though, I've never found it a huge issue to make enough money in Pokemon games, anyway. Luck Incense as well as the Amulet Coin are a godsend for that reason (especially the latter, the former is kinda hard to find, I'd think).

If we want a good place to grind money, we need rematchable trainers. That's why the Battle Chateau worked, because it was great for training and getting money from the trainers. Luck Incenses have actually been easier to get in most recent games due to stands that sell Incenses.

blue

gucci
    Years
    VS. Seeker would be perfect for making good money. In Platinum you could attach an Amulet coin to a pokemon and just rematch the socialites on the Route south of Hearthome getting 12k each battle, both of them with only one Pokemon each iirc. Money for clothes is a must, especially if S/M has expanded the variety.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
    The trailers showed Festival Coins or something similar being used to purchase clothes, right? Maybe that currency would only be used for clothes so your income supply wouldn't be too affected? Unless that currency is just for special events or types of clothes.

blue

gucci
    Years
    Maybe the festival coins are used to unlock or purchase special clothing items, kind and like how Battle Points work. In the trailer the player only had a low amount which would imply that you can still use the normal currency to purchase clothes and accessories, whilst the more rare items can be bought with Festival Coins.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I kind of hope we can still use Poké Dollars for buying clothes. Since the "chuck Pyukumuku back into the water" mini-game gives you a ton of money... I always thought that was a potential way to get money to prepare for buying clothes. There may even be other similar mini-games in the game to help offset the high price of clothes.

Years
    The trailers showed Festival Coins or something similar being used to purchase clothes, right? Maybe that currency would only be used for clothes so your income supply wouldn't be too affected? Unless that currency is just for special events or types of clothes.

I am intrigued to find out how we earn those Festival Coins, especially if we seem to be using them to buy the clothes instead of our usual Pokedollars.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    I am intrigued to find out how we earn those Festival Coins, especially if we seem to be using them to buy the clothes instead of our usual Pokedollars.

Yeah. I really hope they explain them in the coming Corocoro or the news we get on the fourth. I just hope it isn't a grind fest. It can't be too much worse than Kalos, or at least I wouldn't think. That would be taking a large step back and possibly having a lot of backlash.

It has to be something we can do during the main game, so I don't think it will be too big of a grind fest, unless you really want something.

I still say some things are this:
    Taking Photos for people with the Snap like feature.
    Battles in certain places.
    Rewards from doing miniquests.
    Rewards for catching certain pokemon at a given time.
    In Game Contests like Bug Catching (I kinda hope something like this returns)

Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2016
    Maybe we only get festival coins in sun and moon:D? Have we seen classic pokedollaes somewhere so far?

Another Theory would be that these coins are earned through some special competion, event, etc and are an optional way to pay for clothes. You can also pay with normal money, but also with this special currency. Like pokémiles or battlepoints.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
    I still say some things are this:
    Taking Photos for people with the Snap like feature.
    Battles in certain places.
    Rewards from doing miniquests.
    Rewards for catching certain pokemon at a given time.
    In Game Contests like Bug Catching (I kinda hope something like this returns)

I think this would be really cool! For example like the Pyukumuku sidequest, have they revealed what the reward is for completing that? I can see Festival Coins being a cool reward for that - it's something different which adds value for doing the quests and making use of some of SuMo's added features.

Back