• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Character Customization

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    Every new design I see I love a lot. I reallly liked the girl's original design, so hmm, I'm not sure if I'll change her too much the first time around, but the boy is so generic looking that he is definitely getting a makeover. I like the design in the op :)

blue

gucci
    Years
    Yeah, I definitely knew for a while it would be back.. just not on this scale. The amount of detail that has gone into customisation for this gen compared to last gen is just great.

Years
    I think people who can remember as far back to E3 Treehouse should keep in mind that character customization was pretty much going to be a thing as soon as Ohmori/Masuda said it was going to be. I didn't think it'd take this long for the reveal, but better late than never!

Ah I remember when we were all concerned about customization's fate. Maybe Game Freak realized how popular the feature was, so for Sun & Moon they knew they had to bring it back, but also make it better.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    Would any of us know if it's possible to remove the hat of the hero when customizing, just like how it is for heroine?

I don't think they would leave the guys out on removing hats, but if they do, there is at least sun visors that I saw in the trailer, so you can still show off the hair. And if they do leave out the guys again, I'm probably not even going to play as a male this generation. I love customizing characters, so I will be disappointed if the males get the short end again.

Last edited:

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
    I'm glad you don't have to wear a hat in this game, why they didn't make them optional in X&Y I'll never know. Hopefully the male clothes are better this time.

Years
    I don't think they would leave the guys out on removing hats, but if they do, there is at least sun visors that I saw in the trailer, so you can still show off the hair. And if they do leave out the guys again, I'm probably not even going to play as a male this generation. I love customizing characters, so I will be disappointed if the males get the short end again.

From what I've seen regarding customization in the new trailer, I think the males are finally getting some good options so maybe Game Freak did learn from what happened with males getting the short end of the stick in X/Y. Still won't stop me playing as the female, since I love the female protagonists better anyway.

blue

gucci
    Years
    The option to remove the hat makes it so much better. Most of the looks that I prefer from the recent trailers are the ones without hats.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    Also I think the option of more hair colors also help, they also added an extra shade of skin color over XY.

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
    Is anyone keeping track of how many trailer have 'finally confirmed' customisation? It feels like we have this same routine every trailer now.

It was confirmed in the first trailer. Or if you refuse to accept it unless it actually says "There is customisation in this game" (despite it appearing numerous times in trailers), I'm pretty sure they mentioned it live at E3.

Dyeing stuff is cool. And yes, males can remove hats. That has also been confirmed for quite a while, it was shown in a Battle Royale.

Years
    Is anyone keeping track of how many trailer have 'finally confirmed' customisation? It feels like we have this same routine every trailer now.

It was confirmed in the first trailer. Or if you refuse to accept it unless it actually says "There is customisation in this game" (despite it appearing numerous times in trailers), I'm pretty sure they mentioned it live at E3.

I think it's because some of us are only watching the English trailers so that's likely why they only found out about the trainer customization this week. I'm someone who also watches the Japanese trailers so I tend to pay attention to what's shown in them as well, and with the Battle Royal shown in a previous trailer it also confirmed customization several months prior, with a Japanese trailer showing a trainer who has no hat, indicating the confirmation of being able to remove the hat.

Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2020
    I'm glad about the no hats feature. I personally am not the biggest fan of the female hat. Just hats in general

Years
    No hats. Thank goodness. I'd have been happy with just that. The option to change the color of the clothes is more than I expected and I'm pretty pleased.

I wonder what barriers there will be in getting all the different clothes. Will we be kept out of certain shops because we're not cool enough again?

Years
    I wonder what barriers there will be in getting all the different clothes. Will we be kept out of certain shops because we're not cool enough again?

I don't think we'd want that to happen again, considering the style was very vague and people didn't know how to raise it. But it appears the trailer has shown us some currency called Festival Coins, so we'll see how that comes into play if that's what we buy the clothes with.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I'm so so so so glad they allow the removal of the hats! I think that was my biggest pet peeve back in X&Y. I'm super glad it decided to make a return and they even expanded on the feature. I was actually really fond of the male's outfits they showed in the teaser.

Guest123_x1

I'm glad to see that Customization will be making a comeback for Sun/Moon, and in a somewhat more expansive form. However, I'm concerned about two things:
    *How will the Festival Coins be obtained? Does this mean a return of a Game Corner-like feature, is it something that can only be done by connecting to other players online, or whatever?
    *Someone on BMGF claimed that customization with outfits will only be available in the post-game. Why restrict the feature to after finishing the main game when it was previously available much sooner in X/Y?

raxic_ex

I'm Buizel of the Expedition Society!
    Years
    *How will the Festival Coins be obtained? Does this mean a return of a Game Corner-like feature, is it something that can only be done by connecting to other players online, or whatever?

Most likely there'll be a festive in that city/town where boutique is, where we can play games or shopping by using Festive Coins. I think the basic assumption is using Poke Money to buy Festival Coins (hence the Game Corner-like feature). However the clothes sold may be very expensive, which is why I recall some quests give you a lot of money (Pyukumuku quest gives you $20 000 for completing it), or maybe other quests that gives you Festive Coins.

That aside, do you guys think that the boutique shop will be only at 1 area, which is that specific city/town? Since the boutique uses Festive Coins I can't see any other city/area having a boutique and not using Festive Coins, but using normal Poke Money instead. That would be odd, cause that will make Festive Coins a bit redundant.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    Most likely there'll be a festive in that city/town where boutique is, where we can play games or shopping by using Festive Coins. I think the basic assumption is using Poke Money to buy Festival Coins (hence the Game Corner-like feature). However the clothes sold may be very expensive, which is why I recall some quests give you a lot of money (Pyukumuku quest gives you $20 000 for completing it), or maybe other quests that gives you Festive Coins.

That aside, do you guys think that the boutique shop will be only at 1 area, which is that specific city/town? Since the boutique uses Festive Coins I can't see any other city/area having a boutique and not using Festive Coins, but using normal Poke Money instead. That would be odd, cause that will make Festive Coins a bit redundant.

I am pretty we can confirm that the 2nd Island will have an outfit shop.It isn't the biggest town and is one of the less talked about areas seen on the big map.

Picture from trailer: Right hand side. Pretty sure that is an outfit shop
    Spoiler:

Island and Location: Orange circle is about where the outfit shop is at. Put the circle on the other side of the town. The big map didn't show the 2nd Arc at the north part.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    *Someone on BMGF claimed that customization with outfits will only be available in the post-game. Why restrict the feature to after finishing the main game when it was previously available much sooner in X/Y?

I would imagine everyone wouldn't want that, especially if one hates the default designs of both trainers. I don't mind the default appearances, but I can see where others are going with not wanting to be stuck with them.

blue

gucci
    Years
    I highly doubt that. We saw that clothes shop in the Town on the second island, surely they wouldn't close that off until post-game. I would see absolutely no benefit of doing that, especially since they made a point of character customisation in the latest trailer.

Back