• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Christianity and Anime

Christianity and Anime?

• I don't mind it.

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • I do mind it.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I could care less...

Votes: 14 43.8%

• Total voters

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
    I've noticed that there is a lot of anime out there that uses Christian references/symbols as part of their themes or plots. The problem with some anime is that most of the directors never exactly spend the time to know what Christianity is in it's fullness. As quoted by Kazuya Tsurumaki, the assistant director of Neon Genesis Evangelion, "We just thought the visual symbols of Christianity looked cool." Other anime with Christian references are Chrno Crusade, Maria-Sama Ga Miteru, and others. Though these are all very good anime, but what's your opinion on Christianity on anime, even though it is only practiced by 1% of the country?

QuietDragon

a wavering flower, a bird taking flight
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2023
    Wasn't there the same thing over on your side a few years back? Buddha was trendy or somethin'? xD And yeah, they found crosses cool and fashionable. Fer some reason. -shrugs- As long as they're not using it to insult the religion itself or those who practise it, have a ball.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    Christianity is a very mystical and foreign concept to the Japanese in the same way that we have fascinations with religions that aren't practiced in our country. Therefore, as it's a relatively untapped subject matter for the anime crowd who's seen everything common to them rehashed over and over, it provides something new.

99% of all Christian themes carried over to anime are lost/twisted in translation, however; they enjoy it for visual value, not content.

Note to repliers: this is going to be watched very carefully. If you have something disrespectful to say, save yourself the needless warning/ban and stay quiet.

Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2012
    QuietDragon said:
    Wasn't there the same thing over on your side a few years back? Buddha was trendy or somethin'? xD And yeah, they found crosses cool and fashionable. Fer some reason. -shrugs- As long as they're not using it to insult the religion itself or those who practise it, have a ball.
    I have to agree. Unless their mocking Christians or poking fun at them then I have no problem with it.
    Christianity and Anime

Now if the main plot of an anime was to kill every Christian you can possibley find, then I would have a problem with it.
    Christianity and Anime

Karmillina

would kill for cookies
    Years
    I think It's okay, as long as they respect us and our believings. However, I do dislike a bit that crosses are used as if they were a mere part of the outfit. It's true that some Japanese take Christianism a bit too lightly, like they don't care, and that's why some people have tagged Anime as diabolic,which isn't true.
    And Chaiman Kaga has definitely got a point... like some writers in this part of the world, Japanese use Christian references for mere visual value, because symbols look OMG just so kewl... Like the Mary Sues that use external references on their fics, they use them because of the K3wl! Factor.

Naminé

ナミネ..
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2011
    As one country is exploring a mystical realm that they are unfamiliar with, Naminé cannot resist but giggle a bit at the americans painting over a riceball with a submarine sandwich in the Pokemon Anime. Is it because Americans dislike the idea of foreign concepts, much unlike the Japaneses, or are they worried of a potential cultural invasion from Japan? Either that, or Americans must be deathly afraid of even more sushi restaurants~

Oh sushi... Naminé loves sushi~♥

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    Karmillana said:
    Japanese use Christian references for mere visual value, because symbols look OMG just so kewl...

I think some of it has to do with the use of crucifixes in the time of the Jesuits in Japan in the 1500s; many lords not only adopted the symbol to appease their people, who were quickly converting to Catholocism, but because it was commonly seen as a good luck charm or good luck emblem, much like the Buddhist manji which was already in use at the time. I don't think the current use of symbols has ever meant to be offensive, though; any strange way in which they use them is because of their unfamiliarity, and, as I mentioned, the foreign mystique related to the religion as a whole. The Japanese government ordered in the 1500s that all Catholics be rounded up and executed because they were becoming such a large part of the population that they were perceived as a threat (see the last few episodes of Samurai Champloo for an adaptation of this), and, as the Japanese seem to have a love for their own history unparalleled in any other culture, it is easy to assume that the reasons behind this disappearance of an entire culture are of special intrigue to many. I wouldn't put their opinions to the level of K3wl! Factor because that seems to imply intentional disrespect, but certainly ill-informed intrigue plays a major role. Imagine any of us trying to make an anime with Shinto elements; we would certainly have to take great artistic liberty with it, and depending on our level of knowledge of it it could be completely unrecognizable to a practicioner or, at least, someone who was raised knowing the intimate details of that culture.

~Ozy~

PC's Unofficial Poetry Critic
    Years
    My belief is that it is simply the revers of the Western fascination with the "exotic Orient." It is very much prevasive throughout our society, and from what I gather and hve personally observed, the reverse is just as true. It carries through to a certain degree to our physical ideals, even. It's a sign of the human obsession with the unknown, or at least what we view as the unknown.

yaminokaitou

りゅうのマスター
    Years
    Well, I don't really like to see Christianity used in anime because it's really screwed up most of the time, but I don't think it's that big of a deal unless they labeling it as truth and knocking Christians and God and whatnot.
    At any rate, we can't really point fingers at Japan for doing it when the US uses Asian religions and philosophy in movies, too.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
    Well, theres another reason they have crosses and believe that they are cool. Most Japanese people think English and English culture is cool, just as a lot of us think Japanese and Japanese culture is cool. It's just the big difference between our cultures that intrigues us so.

Zack_tehkid

Fighting Cat
    Years
    Most recently Samurai Champloo had a Christian plot in the end. It basically truthfully protrayed how the Japanese saw Christianity during the Edo era. It was a dangerous underground religion that they feared. The show has afew episodes have were they met underground christians and how they had to hid they're beliefs or be killed. I completely understand how the Japanese felt since this religion was completely opposite to what they believed.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I know that alot of Japanese manga-ka and anime directors are Christian and like to add things of the sort in the anime...
    While I'm not christain myself, nor do I believe in God ( Don't hurt me!!), I don
    't have a problem with it being in anime, unless the anime went over-board with it... and so far I haven't seen any anime do that, thankfully.

I think its normal to see Christianity in anime, because thats such a popular religion I don't find it strange at all. I'd find it strange if it WEREN'T in anime, actually.

If it weren't, Saint Tail wouldn't even exsist, and I like that series! T-T

However, since I'm not Christian myself, I can't spot most of the errors in anime as far as 'signs of it' go. Actually, theres alot of people in Japan who are Christian/Catholic...alot more then 1% from what I've seen...

It IS weird when crosses are randomly thrown into the anime for some reason, even if the anime itself never mentions it, nor shows signs that the charaters believe in God....

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    Remember though that Christianity isn't the only religion or practice or reference that they use in alot of the Animes. Evangelism is another popular reference point, and I've also noticed them using Nostraedamus' prophecies on occasion.

Alot of Christians usually only notice the Christianity because that's what they were brought up on. Also it seems to be a popular staple with Anime, probably because of how subtle the references can be with it.

valerauko

Cutting Moon
    Years
    it's not so bad to put a bit of religion in animes... i'm religious to some extent but i don't mind using those symbols. but it annoys me if they quote something from the bible or other religious things wrong. if they use it at least they should be correct
    eg chrono crusade was really cool like that =)

Light_Azumarill

Danny Phantom!
    Years
    Dun worry Drew, I don't think anyone will kill you. ^^

Well, I've noticed the elements of Christianity in many animes too. It doesn't usually bother me, and as Drew said I don't know enough about that religion to recognize errors. I agree with the people saying that it's probably due to the mutual facination that the US and Japan have with each other.

Plus, when you're living in a country with Shinto and Buddhist shrines and temples everywhere and already know much about them, it's more interesting and fun to watch things from other religions than your own. Seeing what you see all of the time can be... well... too normal. It's funner to watch far-off ideas and places. ^-^ This of course is my opinion, but it makes sense to me. *shrug*

Back