• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Clickbait, lies, fake news

Years
  • Got any cautionary tales to share about what you have found deep down the rabbit hole of the web?

I hate channels that put false claims in the title that an entertainer is dead/ hospitalized, using thumbnails with edited pics to make them look sick or in a funeral casket. Even though that stuff usually looks really fake, it's still sleazy. Unfortunately, too many of them to name here.

Evil Food Supply is an annoying channel I have found through videos debunking the misinfo they peddle about health, food and climate. They made one for instance about plant-based meat, saying it was dangerous because of red 3# dye, TBHQ and caramel color- which aren't even used in Impossible or Beyond meat. The footage Evil Foods showed of chemicals came from meat factories injecting it in processed pork actually, and that's just 1 of many things they distort.

Another channel I try to avoid is Story Waves after I was clickbaited. Their videos have misleading titles, like this vid that said a family adopted a girl from another country, and returned her 3 days later. The family actually loved and cared for her for years. What really happened is that they found her biological mother who had the child taken from her, and helped them reunite. They do say this...but after drawing the video out to feed the algorithm.

Any content you know of that deserves infamy?

Last edited:
    Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    When I first got into politics I just threw some words into Youtube and checked out what came up. At the time it was all very right leaning stuff. I think many of the channels I tried at the time ended up being banned from Youtube for obvious reasons during that huge right wing ban wave. Not gonna mention them explicitly because they don't deserve any traffic.

A channel I originally liked who got really upset about when I rediscovered it was Nerdstalgic. It started off a one guy making interesting videos about shows and games. And when I got back to it their content felt really blant.
    Turns out the guy got pretty popular over the years. So, a huge company approached him and he ended up selling his channel. And they then proceeded to turn it into a content farm.

Also your mandatory "PragerU is not an actual university, it's a far right Christian propaganda channel who spouts nothing but lies which it can do because they have a lot of money"-comment

I can't say I encounter much in terms of actual clickbaits and lies and such, nowadays. I'm not sure if that's because of my ever growing blacklist on Youtube or if I'm still too stupid to figure these things out. ^^"

Years
  • I just roll my eyes at the clickbait stuff on YouTube anymore. I dislike it, but what can I do? As for fake news and misinfo it is sad to see people fall for it and believe it.

Years
  • i literally paid for an "anti-clickbait" browser extension that changes youtube thumbnails to screencaps from the video and retitles the video itself to a more accurate & descriptive one, even reformatting any capslock words to lowercase. youtube's felt way less overwhelming to browse ever since.

Years
  • When I first got into politics I just threw some words into Youtube and checked out what came up. At the time it was all very right leaning stuff. I think many of the channels I tried at the time ended up being banned from Youtube for obvious reasons during that huge right wing ban wave. Not gonna mention them explicitly because they don't deserve any traffic.

A channel I originally liked who got really upset about when I rediscovered it was Nerdstalgic. It started off a one guy making interesting videos about shows and games. And when I got back to it their content felt really blant.
    Turns out the guy got pretty popular over the years. So, a huge company approached him and he ended up selling his channel. And they then proceeded to turn it into a content farm.

Also your mandatory "PragerU is not an actual university, it's a far right Christian propaganda channel who spouts nothing but lies which it can do because they have a lot of money"-comment

I can't say I encounter much in terms of actual clickbaits and lies and such, nowadays. I'm not sure if that's because of my ever growing blacklist on Youtube or if I'm still too stupid to figure these things out. ^^"
    Well getting into politics just leads to problems, I generally steer clear of political talk on youtube and I might be a christian, but I try to stay away from the supposed Christian based channels that don't follow the bibles standards that spew propaganda that isn't actually based in truth, but falsehood. I've heard about some of PragerU education items that twist black history, but really don't follow them. Because I can't stand Christian organizations that twist the truth. If I was a head of a christian university, I'd stay away from PragerU.

As for clickbait, I have fun seeing what they post and laugh at them if it is on a web page, but videos I generally don't like watching and if I accidently watch a video that I didn't know was clickbait I tend to get kind of upset at the poster of the video, only time I would knowingly click on a clickbait video is if I want to get a laugh.

Back