• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Code: Complete FireRed Upgrade

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
Years
  • From what I've tried HTE is actually better than G3T for editing trainers with CFRU. I didn't need to change any offsets that HTE reads to make it work; just open the BPRE.ini file and changed the number of pokemon (1102) and number of moves (810) and it was good to go.

Thank you!

NielsM

BSBob
    Years
  • Hmmm, I've had devkitPro and Python on my PC for some other GBA hacking too and I've never had problems, but now when I run "python scripts//make.py" literally nothing happens.
    I just get an empty new line in my cmd as if no command was executed, not even a warning or anything.

I've triple checked so see if the devkitPro, devkitARM (bin too) and Python folders are in my path variable, and they are. I even have armips.

If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated!

Years
    • Seen Oct 10, 2020
    Oh, I encountered that too. Do you have a %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\ path? If you do, that's probably the issue, just delete it from your environmental variables.

Basically it takes you to the app store to download python 3.7, even if you already have it. When running python "scripts//make.py" from the folder though, it just does nothing.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hmmm, I've had devkitPro and Python on my PC for some other GBA hacking too and I've never had problems, but now when I run "python scripts//make.py" literally nothing happens.
    I just get an empty new line in my cmd as if no command was executed, not even a warning or anything.

Yeah the most likely issue here is that you didnt add python to your pc's PATH when installing it. The installer .exe does it automatically if you tick the box and maybe you forgot.
    At least that is what I realized I forgot when calling python scripts//make.py did absolutely nothing for me.

From what I've tried HTE is actually better than G3T for editing trainers with CFRU. I didn't need to change any offsets that HTE reads to make it work; just open the BPRE.ini file and changed the number of pokemon (1102) and number of moves (810) and it was good to go.

As for a question of my own, was this really all you had to do to get HTE working for the test.gba generated by the DPE/CFRU?
    Frankly, I cannot open a test.gba at all in HTE. I generated a test.gba using a completely default DPE setup leaving everything alone just for seeing how tools react to it.

Spoiler:

Was just wondering if anyone knows why I get the image above in the Spoiler when try so much as just opening test.gba in HTE.
    Like, it doesnt even say anything is wrong with offsets or the ini, it just outright rejects the ROM completely.
    Was hoping if anyone knew and could tell me why it could be doing that, probably sometime later when its not NYE lol.

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
    Years
  • A question about the DPE:
    Since neither the DPE nor the CFRU create new items; how would the evolutionary stones/hold item evolutions work for the new Pokemon (and old ones that evolve with the link cable) in the DPE?

Chaotix

Love to test
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2020
    A question about the DPE:
    Since neither the DPE nor the CFRU create new items; how would the evolutionary stones/hold item evolutions work for the new Pokemon (and old ones that evolve with the link cable) in the DPE?

You have to create these items or change what they evolve with. By default it looks like everything needing a new evolution item has it listed as ????? to start so you just have to change it to a different item.

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
    Years
  • You have to create these items or change what they evolve with. By default it looks like everything needing a new evolution item has it listed as ????? to start so you just have to change it to a different item.

Ok, thanks.

My G3T is kind of buggy when I select a mon, any mon.
    I just have no idea how to fix it, (maybe it's an offset thing?)

Chaotix

Love to test
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2020
    Ok, thanks.

My G3T is kind of buggy when I select a mon, any mon.
    I just have no idea how to fix it, (maybe it's an offset thing?)

Buggy in what way? For me movesets and abilties are usually wrong among other things in G3T; thats because G3T wasn't made to handle longer ability names and expanded movesets. If your evolutions are wrong then the EVOS_PER_MON in CFRUs config.h don't match DPE causing some problems. By default EVOS_PER_MON is 5 in CFRU and 16 in DPE so that has to be changed.

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
    Years
  • Buggy in what way? For me movesets and abilties are usually wrong among other things in G3T; thats because G3T wasn't made to handle longer ability names and expanded movesets. If your evolutions are wrong then the EVOS_PER_MON in CFRUs config.h don't match DPE causing some problems. By default EVOS_PER_MON is 5 in CFRU and 16 in DPE so that has to be changed.

Alright, thanks!

Edit: A question I have:
    Do megas and alt forms count towards the Pokedex total
    IE: Would I have to put 1102 as the national dex size?

Last edited:

Chaotix

Love to test
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2020
    Alright, thanks!

Edit: A question I have:
    Do megas and alt forms count towards the Pokedex total
    IE: Would I have to put 1102 as the national dex size?

No you should have the national dex size as the last regular dex entry. Like if Melmetal is the last one it would be 809.

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2023
    Im running into a bit of an issue with trying to get this working. I followed the instructions and put the Dynamic Pokemon Expansion in first, then made a second Rom with the CFRU in and copied the data over, I have changed the species.h and pokedex.h in the CFRU, however anytime I try it the default species are still in as if it hasn't been changed at all. Anyone know of a way to fix this?

Chaotix

Love to test
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2020
    Im running into a bit of an issue with trying to get this working. I followed the instructions and put the Dynamic Pokemon Expansion in first, then made a second Rom with the CFRU in and copied the data over, I have changed the species.h and pokedex.h in the CFRU, however anytime I try it the default species are still in as if it hasn't been changed at all. Anyone know of a way to fix this?

The build two Roms, one DPE and one CFRU and copy the bits of data over is a good idea and all for actual hack work. It lets you modify that base file with things before building the CFRU on top of it to test changes; but for just making sure stuff is working to start I'd instead recommend applying the DPE and then taking that test.gba and rename it to BPRE0.gba and use it to apply the CFRU and check everything is correct and experiment with that to get a hang of what you can do with them.

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2023
    I have managed to get all of the pokemon from the expansion into my ROM now, however by changing the species.h and pokedex.h i still cannot change which species are actually included, it instead just puts all 809+ in. Do I need to edit the species.h in DPE? Or is there a step ive missed in changing the included species?

Chaotix

Love to test
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2020
    I have managed to get all of the pokemon from the expansion into my ROM now, however by changing the species.h and pokedex.h i still cannot change which species are actually included, it instead just puts all 809+ in. Do I need to edit the species.h in DPE? Or is there a step ive missed in changing the included species?

I have not actively tried to exclude pokemon from being added with DPE. I just re-ordered the pokedex for the ones I wanted to use in a regional dex and left the others alone. I imagine if you want to actually exclude species you'll probably have to edit a lot of files and remove the front and back sprites in the DPE and change the names/index numbers of the pokemon and then do the same in the CFRU.

Child Amnesiac

Ever changing
    Years
  • 2 questions:
    1. I've tried changing the offset in the insert.py file, I even saved it, and checked after saving. But whenever I run make.py to build it and insert it, the offset gets reset back to whatever it's original value was. What's going on here?
    2. How easy is it to make evolutionary stones in this engine?
    The way I made them is as follows:
    I set the item to be used out of battle
    I assigned it the out of battle script for an evolutionary stone

Is that all I have to do, or is there something more?

Edit: I have a 3rd question:
    How do I set up Advacemap 1.9.5 to include the expanded Pokemon (I would use 1.9.2 but I hear it doesn't work with expanded ROMs/doesn't support expanded Pokemon. But I'm just going to use it to insert the new mons into the game, nothing else.)

Last edited:

Chaotix

Love to test
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2020
    2 questions:
    1. I've tried changing the offset in the insert.py file, I even saved it, and checked after saving. But whenever I run make.py to build it and insert it, the offset gets reset back to whatever it's original value was. What's going on here?
    2. How easy is it to make evolutionary stones in this engine?
    The way I made them is as follows:
    I set the item to be used out of battle
    I assigned it the out of battle script for an evolutionary stone

Is that all I have to do, or is there something more?

Edit: I have a 3rd question:
    How do I set up Advacemap 1.9.5 to include the expanded Pokemon (I would use 1.9.2 but I hear it doesn't work with expanded ROMs/doesn't support expanded Pokemon. But I'm just going to use it to insert the new mons into the game, nothing else.)

1. You're changing the wrong file. Edit the offset in make.py for where you want to insert the CFRU.
    2. Still haven't tried that stuff myself yet so I can't comment on it.
    3. https://pastebin.com/QpnHyQpJ this has information on setting up Advancemap to work with expanded Pokemon.

Edit: For #2: Just like all other items the engine doesn't actually create anything. In the case of evolution stones you still have to make the new item, give it the field script of an evolution stone, and then make it actually work as one. I just followed this thread and was able to make the Link Stone item for evolving trade evos real quick. https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=296729

Last edited:

Generris

LOMEGALU
    Years
  • What should the OFFSET_TO_PUT actually be? Like, does it need to be a file within the folder or is it the url of a different folder? It doesn't work no matter what I put or where I put it.

Chaotix

Love to test
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2020
    What should the OFFSET_TO_PUT actually be? Like, does it need to be a file within the folder or is it the url of a different folder? It doesn't work no matter what I put or where I put it.

make.py is the file you would edit for that. Is the default not fine for you? It should have been like "OFFSET_TO_PUT = 0x900000" originally. If you want to put it somewhere else then make the 0x900000 an offset that has a decent amount of free space.

Back