• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: [COMPLETE][pokefirered] Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen+

Is there a way to obtain a wailmer pail or similar to that?
Cause I saw sudowoodo at Battle Tower Area outside, and I don't know how to engage it.
Spoiler:

Think I found another bug when trying out Master trainers. I filled the fame checker as needed, invited Brock to Seven Island and then won the battle against him. After that he left the building (as intended I presume) and I could invite another gym leader. I invited Misty, but after she arrived there and without any battle, I invited Lt. Surge too as a test. This caused Misty to leave, and Surge to never appear despite the old lady telling he's already been invited to train. Same thing for other gym leaders, they get an invite but never show up, and now I can't invite them again cause they've apparently finished training there. Can't rematch any of them (including Brock) at their respective gyms either.
Is it intended that you must reinvite a gym leader to Seven Island every time you wanna battle them, and then do so after every single match (as each invite takes time to complete)? Or should it be possbile to repeatedly fight them in their gyms once their one-off training is done? Because as I said above, I can't rematch Brock in Pewter Gym at all.
The Gym Leaders return to the basement to train periodically after you've rematched them. Walk around outside of the Seven Island area and the Gym Leaders you've invited will eventually return. Once they're invited once, they'll continue to come back of their own volition without needing to be invited. You can't rematch them in their actual Gyms, only on Seven Island.
First of all thank you so much for sharing FRLG-Plus with us and maintaining it. I have really been enjoying the game so far! I finished all the "vanilla" main story and post-game contents (finished the islands story, cerulean cave, and beat the E4 for the 2nd time).
I am trying to complete the extended dex, but I wasn't able to find some of the post-game contents that are described in your github. I'm hoping you'll be able to answer some questions. Specifically:

1) Event Islands tickets: Where do I get the ticket to Southern Island/Birth Island/Navel Rock? I was able to find the Old Sea Map which got me to Faraway Island (Mew) but not the other three. Am I missing any gameplay milestones? Where should I look?

2) Third starter: I was only able to get the second starter from island 4, but not the third one. You mention that "All Kanto Pokémon will be available in one playthrough.", so is there a way to also get the third starter as an egg in the same playthrough?
1)
Spoiler:

2)
Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2023
    Thanks, I biked around on Seven Island and they all arrived eventually. They seem to get stronger and stronger for each time which makes sense I guess, but it also means they become more inaccessible to your other pokemon which you haven't trained as much.

Still found a bug after defeating Misty (I think, it's one of the gym leaders at least), where the game thinks you're in the safari zone when opening the main menu. You'll have an infinite step count (displayed as ?xx/600, where x are numbers), you can't save the game, but you can "retire", in which you'll end up exiting the real safari zone in Fuchsia. It doesn't break the game or anything, but it's an odd bug nontheless.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2022
    Just experienced the Misty bug myself lol, was logging in to post it and seen it had already been mentioned.

Thanks, I biked around on Seven Island and they all arrived eventually. They seem to get stronger and stronger for each time which makes sense I guess, but it also means they become more inaccessible to your other pokemon which you haven't trained as much.

Still found a bug after defeating Misty (I think, it's one of the gym leaders at least), where the game thinks you're in the safari zone when opening the main menu. You'll have an infinite step count (displayed as ?xx/600, where x are numbers), you can't save the game, but you can "retire", in which you'll end up exiting the real safari zone in Fuchsia. It doesn't break the game or anything, but it's an odd bug nontheless.

Just experienced the Misty bug myself lol, was logging in to post it and seen it had already been mentioned.

Thanks for this report. The Challenge Mode roster for Misty overflowed the trainer flags because I made an off-by-one error when counting them, which set the next flag after trainer flags which happened to be the Safari Zone flag. This will be fixed in the next release. Enjoy your free warps to Fuchsia until then.

And yes, the Gym Leaders will get stronger every time they are defeated. They're meant to be a continual challenge, similar to how Wally in Emerald levels up the more he is fought. If you want to reduce their levels a bit, switch to Easy Mode to reduce their levels by 5 (if you're coming from Normal Mode) or 10 (if you're coming from Challenge Mode). They max out at 70/75/80 depending on your difficulty mode.

Can you upgrade the graphics in future updates? maybe nds style

One of the goals of this hack is to maintain the original Gen 3 flavor, so the graphics will remain the same style.

Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2024
    Hi there! Thank you so much for this hack, I'm really enjoying it on my Vita.

Two things I wanted to ask/bring to your attention (sorry if this is covered in previous posts or on the GitHub):

1. When using the bicycle to cross the cracking ice panels in Icefall Cave, if you go over them southward a second time and suddenly stop on the space right after the second panel, you fall into the rock below and get stuck. This is probably super rare as I don't believe anyone would intentionally do this.

2. Can your save file from a previous version seamlessly carry over into the most recent update?

Thanks again!

Hi there! Thank you so much for this hack, I'm really enjoying it on my Vita.

Two things I wanted to ask/bring to your attention (sorry if this is covered in previous posts or on the GitHub):

1. When using the bicycle to cross the cracking ice panels in Icefall Cave, if you go over them southward a second time and suddenly stop on the space right after the second panel, you fall into the rock below and get stuck. This is probably super rare as I don't believe anyone would intentionally do this.

2. Can your save file from a previous version seamlessly carry over into the most recent update?

Thanks again!

1. I can't reproduce this. Would you be able to post a gif or video of this bug happening? It would help me track it down. Also, is your bike on the faster gear, by any chance?
    EDIT: I was just able to reproduce and fix this. No gif needed. Thanks for your report!

2. Yes. All the official releases have been save compatible so far. I can't guarantee there won't be a save break in the future (if the Battle Frontier ever becomes a thing, it'll most certainly lead to a save break) but for the foreseeable future saves will be compatible.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2024
    1. I can't reproduce this. Would you be able to post a gif or video of this bug happening? It would help me track it down. Also, is your bike on the faster gear, by any chance?
    EDIT: I was just able to reproduce and fix this. No gif needed. Thanks for your report!

2. Yes. All the official releases have been save compatible so far. I can't guarantee there won't be a save break in the future (if the Battle Frontier ever becomes a thing, it'll most certainly lead to a save break) but for the foreseeable future saves will be compatible.

Haha I was just about to post my video recreation. Thanks for troubleshooting and fixing it! I appreciate your care for this project. It really shows.

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2022
    Enjoyable mod, had a lot of fun revisiting the game with it.

I think the hard mode is kind of poorly balanced though, not necessarily too hard but the levels of trainers and such aren't balanced correctly. IE the regular trainers in a gym being (many times) easier than the actual gym leader is fine, but the gap here is simply too large and either promotes spamming items or hefty grinding, which then makes all trainers but gym leaders/elite four etc too easy again. Rival is also weirdly excluded from the harsh difficulty spikes gym leaders get (I guess because when you fight him has a lot of variance) which makes him quite easy overall.

Sabrina is just an absurd outlier in difficulty, it's a mostly fair fight with plenty of counterplay ..until she has a level FOURTY SIX Alakazam with what I assume is EVs, a good moveset (why does it have Calm Mind, this is just ridiculous), a Sitrus berry and more. The reason this is such bad design is that even after clearing Seafoam, Koga, Pokemon Mansion and Blaine this Alakazam was still wiping my team 6 vs 1 and I still hadn't caught up in level. Either the hard mode wasn't playtested, the dev doesn't actually understand Pokemon that well mechanically, or items are supposed to be used but at that point the difficulty doesn't matter, you cannot lose in a game where items are allowed + infinite TMs (rest + x-defend/speed with double team and toxic or psychic for example will win every single fight by default).

This is assuming hard mode / set mode / no items use in battle.

Last edited:
    Enjoyable mod, had a lot of fun revisiting the game with it.

I think the hard mode is kind of poorly balanced though, not necessarily too hard but the levels of trainers and such aren't balanced correctly. IE the regular trainers in a gym being (many times) easier than the actual gym leader is fine, but the gap here is simply too large and either promotes spamming items or hefty grinding, which then makes all trainers but gym leaders/elite four etc too easy again. Rival is also weirdly excluded from the harsh difficulty spikes gym leaders get (I guess because when you fight him has a lot of variance) which makes him quite easy overall.

Sabrina is just an absurd outlier in difficulty, it's a mostly fair fight with plenty of counterplay ..until she has a level FOURTY SIX Alakazam with what I assume is EVs, a good moveset (why does it have Calm Mind, this is just ridiculous), a Sitrus berry and more. The reason this is such bad design is that even after clearing Seafoam, Koga, Pokemon Mansion and Blaine this Alakazam was still wiping my team 6 vs 1 and I still hadn't caught up in level. Either the hard mode wasn't playtested, the dev doesn't actually understand Pokemon that well mechanically, or items are supposed to be used but at that point the difficulty doesn't matter, you cannot lose in a game where items are allowed + infinite TMs (rest + x-defend/speed with double team and toxic or psychic for example will win every single fight by default).

This is assuming hard mode / set mode / no items use in battle.

Thanks for your feedback.

Challenge Mode is set up almost exactly like B2W2's, right down to where the level scaling ramps up and how much it ramps up when it happens. B2W2's Challenge Mode also didn't change the Rival's teams outside of the level scaling, so that is why the Rival isn't given a separate roster for Challenge Mode (save for his Champion battles). B2W2 also had some pretty harsh difficulty spikes with their leaders (especially Cheren) on Challenge Mode, but FRLG+ gets around some of this frustration because Kanto progression is less linear than Unova's and Brock isn't as hard as Cheren was due to his exploitable weaknesses (this comparison is apt because both of these first Gym Leaders block all forward progress before they're defeated).

Sabrina is a difficulty jump, but she was in RGB and FRLG as well, with a level 43 Alakazam (where her other Pokemon were well below at 37 and 38) that could absolutely wipe teams. Sabrina's vanilla FRLG Alakazam also has Calm Mind, Psychic, and Recover by the way. Additionally, no trainers (outside Master Trainers) have EVs or explicitly-set natures except the Gym Leader rematches on Seven Island and the E4/Champion rematches at the very end of the game, both in Challenge Mode only. The complaints you're making about this Alakazam are a result of how the vanilla battle was originally set up. I playtested with your ruleset several times on Challenge Mode before the initial release and have also Nuzlocked (though I didn't ban item use in battle for my Nuzlocke runs) and didn't find Alakazam to be too tricky. It is hard countered by any strong physical attacker that can take a hit, but you're likely to wipe once or twice on Sabrina if you allow her to set up or Baton Pass boosts to Alakazam. The key is to panic immediately the moment Alakazam shows up and nuke it. Infinite TMs and tutors also give you the opportunity to cheese much more easily. Fury Cutter started before Alakazam comes out will likely one shot it, for example. You also have access to Taunt to shut down the boosts and Recover. Light Screen can be bought from the Dept. Store if your physical attacker needs a little help surviving that first Psychic. Shadow Ball is a super-effective, 80-base-power physical move with a wide distribution that is available from the Game Corner. If you're feeling really scummy, Attract is also an option. All the tools are available to get through Sabrina, whether it just be through outplaying her or through cheese, especially if you've gone all the way to Blaine. Umbreon is also available and walls her whole team, but I'm not expecting people to evolve their Eevee solely to beat Sabrina. That said, it is another option.

I think I saw an earlier version of your post as well that mentioned Erika as a huge spike too? I nerfed her Victreebel hard pretty early on, but I didn't plan on her being too difficult because she has a pretty poor defensive and offensive typing that she's working with. If you have specific complaints about her I wouldn't mind hearing them. Her movesets deviate much further from vanilla than Sabrina's do.

Where do you get the trade evo item for kadabra
    As Carryingthebannerr replied, you will get it by following the story. It's unmissable. Alternatively, if you can't wait and want your Alakazam right this second, you can still trade to evolve it.

One question, does this have the Physical/Special Split by any chance?
    No, this preserves the original Gen 3 battle mechanics.

Hi Deokishisu. Do you know how to put the static Battle Background in FR?

How does it look in this image.
    http://https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Deokishisu/FRLG-Plus/master/screenshots/Battle%20Anim%20Fast.gif
    My commits are descriptively labelled. Go back through the commit history and find the commit that implements this and you can copy from the implementation.

Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2023
    hey I have been enjoying a lot of your hack i just completed Kanto Pokedex but I have been looking everywhere and where do you get the ticket to get Deoxys?

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2022
    Trying to play this on GBArunner2 on nintendo DS original but can't save.
    Says the back up memory is damaged or the games battery has run dry? The game can be played but its progress cannot be saved

Years
  • I have beaten the game.

Do you intend to change any of Kanto's region design flaws, such as...

An overabundance of the same set of common Pokemon pretty much everywhere while rarer Pokemon require RNG grinding to find?
    Inconvenience of finding something super-effective on Rock around Brock's gym if you didn't start with one?
    Low pokeball success rates making Pokedex Completion-based rewards a pain to get?
    Wild Pokemon not scaling to your level?
    Low Pokemon variety, and the redundancy present in the multiple Pokemon outclassed by other ones with the same types?
    Samey bland environments where pretty much every place besides the main cities and towns are just grassy routes with dirt road, barring the occasional water route?

hey I have been enjoying a lot of your hack i just completed Kanto Pokedex but I have been looking everywhere and where do you get the ticket to get Deoxys?

Spoiler:
    Look through the thread next time. This answer was on the same page.

Trying to play this on GBArunner2 on nintendo DS original but can't save.
    Says the back up memory is damaged or the games battery has run dry? The game can be played but its progress cannot be saved

This is something amiss with your setup, not with the hack. Search for support wherever people that use GBArunner2 hang out. I'd be very surprised if the Pokemon games don't have a workaround as they're by far the most popular GBA games.

I have beaten the game.

Do you intend to change any of Kanto's region design flaws, such as...
    Let me break this down...
    An overabundance of the same set of common Pokemon pretty much everywhere while rarer Pokemon require RNG grinding to find?
    This must be your first Pokemon game.
    Inconvenience of finding something super-effective on Rock around Brock's gym if you didn't start with one?
    Mankey. Double Kick Nidoran. Charmander still learns Metal Claw. If Brock is too hard for you, turn on Easy Mode. I've started with Charmander and had Nuzlocke on, and have had multiple runs where I have the misfortune of not getting Mankey. Challenge Mode Brock is very beatable without one. If you're not on Challenge Mode, plenty of kids before you have beaten Brock without a super-effective move.
    Low pokeball success rates making Pokedex Completion-based rewards a pain to get?
    The Poke Ball formulas have never been changed, as far as I'm aware. If you're having trouble catching stuff, interact with the actual battle mechanics by inflicting wild Pokemon with status and using things like False Swipe to increase your catch chances like literally everyone else. There's nothing wrong with the existing catching mechanics and I'm not going to make everything act as Master Balls because that would be absurd.
    Wild Pokemon not scaling to your level?
    Low Pokemon variety, and the redundancy present in the multiple Pokemon outclassed by other ones with the same types?
    One of the goals of this hack is to keep everything legal for Gen 3. This would preclude changing wild Pokemon levels or availability. If the variety isn't to your liking, trade in more Pokemon to use. If you want more experience from grinding wild Pokemon, use the experience modifier key.
    Samey bland environments where pretty much every place besides the main cities and towns are just grassy routes with dirt road, barring the occasional water route?
    One of the goals of this hack is to preserve the original flavor, so no. Kanto is fine. Redesigning the whole region is way outside the scope of this hack and would essentially destroy Kanto. The Sevii Islands got a mostly-aesthetic redesign because they were arguably non-canon at the time I did so (PLA finally mentions their existence) and because every island was a carbon copy.

I would argue that none of these are flaws, just your pet peeves with FRLG. Players who had issues with the design of FRLG are probably going to have the same issues with FRLG+ and that's okay with me.

Years
  • If this game is supposed to be that way, I respect your artistic vision.

But for the record, Brock was not too hard for me and I beat the game on hard mode. It's just tedious to RNG grind for something SE on Rock. People don't complain about Street Fighter making you wait for loading screens, go through a EULA, wait for the game to connect and check for updates, and so on because enduring it is too hard for them.

Back