• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: [COMPLETED] Accept Defeat, Version 2.0

Unfolding

Experimental games <3
Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2024
    Note: There's no grinding necessary, it's a puzzle! Also, please mark spoilers in the comments, especially about the mechanics and endings!

ACCEPT DEFEAT
    A Curious, Experimental Puzzle / Short Experience / Adventure / Haiku​
    by Unfolding​

INTRODUCTION AND STORY​
    You've just survived a shipwreck. You need to get home to Fuchsia City by any means possible... but you're no trainer. You're just a fisherman, washed up on a strange island, with only a few items in your pack and a single Pokémon. You never needed to Fly, so you never got the Thunderbadge. And now you're trapped on an island crawling with scary-strong trainers, and you have to find your way home.

Hi, I'm Unfolding and this is my very first attempt at a ROMhack. This is an entry to Anthroyd's MAGM competition, and I've patched up the bugs we found for a re-release here! Accept Defeat is a puzzle-y, atmospheric experience that explores the mechanics of the Pokémon world. It's not particularly long (you could probably speedrun one ending in two minutes), but there are three distinct ways to play the game, leading to three endings, and one of them takes quite a bit of time and dedication. It's not the standard "eight gyms of content", but I really hope you enjoy it for what it is!

In the immortal, somewhat edited words of Sonja Lang, "If [Pokemon Unbound] is a thick novel, [Accept Defeat] is a haiku."

FEATURES (GOOD!)​

• An unlikely protagonist and a new archipelago to explore!
    • A single new Pokémon, with an interesting gimmick!
    • A completely unique battle mechanic that rewards creative teambuilding!
    • Many small puzzles to solve in battles; larger puzzles to solve in the world!
    • A brand new type of hidden item!
    • Running Shoes indoors and a Bicycle from the start!
    • Wait, three endings?!
    • And one of the endings requires you to solve a difficult puzzle based on the core mechanics of the game?!

FEATURES (BAD!)​

• It's my first time creating literally any of the things you will experience!
    • A vague sense of melancholy and helplessness despite the cheerful tropical setting!
    • Game design that incorporates intentional softlocks! Yep, that's right, I'm one of those weirdos who believes softlocks have a place in game design, especially in short experiences like this. (Don't worry, it's story-relevant and hard to do by accident!)
    • One impressively bad dad joke!
    • Mostly vanilla Gen III mechanics - no later gen Pokémon, moves, or abilities, no physical / special split, etc.!

SCREENSHOTS​
    lJn4PlU.png
    y85Ydok.png
    rmmpr6D.png
    GVtPzkM.png
    IZdcIH7.png

HKSvax9.png
    7KEJFQ9.png
    0cXp3SQ.png
    1NM8AI3.png
    o8OM5nr.png

hL3aHe5.png
    xks4C0i.png
    hIrUZuF.png
    AOP0dL6.png
    yqQUeV3.png

CREDITS​
    Tools:
    AdvanceMap, by LU-HO
    HexManiacAdvance, by Haven

Scripts:
    FastNewGame, by Haven

Resources:
    flags.h and various other decomp files, by Pret
    frspecials, by cbt
    Pokemon Gen III Romhacking Tutorials, by Anthroyd

Special Thanks:
    Gamefreak, for everything
    Anthroyd, for MAGM and his tutorials
    U. Flame and Cutlerine, for their short hacks which were partial inspirations for this one
    Skeli and Coolboyman, for really setting the bar high
    Shiny, PhoenixBound, Petuh, and AGSMG, for their support in answering so many of my questions
    Haven, because HMA is an amazing tool that made this all possible
    And you, for taking a chance on a new creator!

PATCHING AND TESTING INFORMATION​
    Accept Defeat needs to be patched onto FireRed 1.0. I've tested it with mGBA and on console; both work just fine. Feel free to message me if you experience any issues!

Attachments

• AcceptDefeatV2.ups
      64.1 KB · Views: 100
    Last edited:

DJCherryTempo

The Reserved Observer
    Years
  • I can only get two of the three endings- White out to get to the main land or use Gameshark codes to grind my way to the Legendary and trade it off. There's nothing else to the game that I can find.

Unfolding

Experimental games <3
    Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2024
    Mark spoilers, please! And there's no grinding necessary - you can get to the cave without gaining even a single level!

I'll happily DM you with more details or hints. Thanks for giving it a try!

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2022
    Nice short hack. I was able to find all three ending within an hour.
    Spoiler:

DJCherryTempo

The Reserved Observer
    Years
  • I mean, your Images kinda give away one of the endings to begin with, so I dont see why you say to mark spoilers. Either way, I dont see myself trying this hack again. I've never been much of a puzzle fan to begin with.

Back