• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: [COMPLETED] Digimon Emerald Project

Those of you that played both this and Nova Red, what would you like to see next?

• A Digimon hack of Gen II

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • A Digimon hack of Gen IV

Votes: 48 76.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2022
    Hi. So first of all I want to congratulate you. I've been playing this game for almost a week and it has been a blast. There are just a couple things i want to mention from my experience with the game, specifically what i assume are bugs:

1st as mentioned before on route 113 there's an item called "new item" which seems to do nothing. Around the same area I got another one. I think it was from the scientist after returning the meteor if my memory doesn't fail me?

2nd is the weird warps: i entered the trainer hill and left and the exit instead teleported me to a wall in the desert. Luckily it's just one step away from the desert, so i didn't get stuck, but i basically got early access to the desert and was able to roam there and even grind before even going through the fiery path. Then there's the sailor on the bottom right of slateport (by the buildings) who when you speak to him activates the port team aqua scene. Doesn't seem to affect the game, but it's a pretty big jump in the story.

And to finish the one I found the funniest. Ancientkazemon's type is listed as being "Cool/fairy". I wonder how that affects damage calculations XD

[Edit] oh and one last one that i forgot:
    Ponchomon's needle punch (if i recall the name correctly) states that it poisons the opponent. Is it a chance of poisoning instead of a guaranteed poison? At least i haven't poisoned any digimon with it and i only made it forget it when it learned flower cannon

[Edit 2] well right after the first edit i went to my pc and i noticed something. A wild ghostmon i caught and the moonmon that is given (or was it the egg?) Have an item called "????????". It does nothing, just like the "new item". None of them can be stacked

[Edit 3] so now i'm just compiling everything i find in this one comment lmao
    Plasma fists's description is in portuguese

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2022
    Does anyone have the patches file for my boy for Android No matter how many times I try to run the patch and download the files I can't get the app to recognize the file even exists

Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2023
    Sorry if this has already been talked about, but I noticed in route 104 wild double battles don't let me throw digiballs. Even after one of the digimon are ko'ed.

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2024
    I'm messing with Gallantmon Crimson Mode to see if I can get it to work as a sprite. It's not done yet, but this is what I've got so far.

Attachments

• [COMPLETED] Digimon Emerald Project
      Gallantmon Crimson 1.png
      21 KB · Views: 163

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    Big announcement to everyone that has been following the project all this time!

Digimon Emerald is now officially COMPLETE!

The Dex has been rounded up to a nice clean 350 (actually 352, but close enough ;p), most of the glitches have been hammered out, some evolutionary lines have been reworked and streamlined, and the difficulty curve has been balanced out (that is unless you use the exp.share of course, haha).

Here are all the new mons added since the last update:

[COMPLETED] Digimon Emerald Project

There will be no significant updates to Digimon Emerald Project in the foreseeable future beyond perhaps patching the occasional bug. The newest version (once I post it), will be the definitive, completed version of the game.

Going forward, I will probably take my time remaking Digimon Nova Red using the assets from this game along with a more modern rom base. That will probably occupy me for the next few months. Following that, I may begin work on either a Digimon Crystal or a Digimon Platinum. :)

Once more, a huge thank you once again to everyone for the support, playtesting, and valuable feedback! Couldn't have done it without you guys! 😇

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2022
    Thanks for this romhack. I've been enjoying it a lot so far. So many new things to discover that it's all very exciting.

I have a couple of things though.
    1. Is it possible to give the digivices in the Pokemon menu/PC storage menu some colour? I have no experience with romhacking but that sounds simple enough to me. Or just use a normal tiny sprite? I have a very hard time knowing who's who without reading their name, while normally you can see it with just a glance based on colour/shape etc. It makes moving pokemon to/from PC harder than it should be.

2. Related to point 1, I barely know who is who in the EV-IV menu. In FireRed the name was shown as well. Actually, the FireRed EV-IV menu is a lot better than the one in Emerald (better organized, and the base/total stat values and happiness are really handy). Any chance you can bring back the one from FireRed?

3. Not a request for improvements but a question. Do the day/night cycles impact what kind of pokemon show up in the wild (love the day & night though)? I don't know if some are just that rare or if it's the time of day.

It's fine if any of these are a no. In any case, thank you for all the work you must have put into these games. I appreciate it :)

Last edited:

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    Thanks for this romhack. I've been enjoying it a lot so far. So many new things to discover that it's all very exciting.

I have a couple of things though.
    1. Is it possible to give the digivices in the Pokemon menu/PC storage menu some colour? I have no experience with romhacking but that sounds simple enough to me. Or just use a normal tiny sprite? I have a very hard time knowing who's who without reading their name, while normally you can see it with just a glance based on colour/shape etc. It makes moving pokemon to/from PC harder than it should be.

2. Related to point 1, I barely know who is who in the EV-IV menu. In FireRed the name was shown as well. Actually, the FireRed EV-IV menu is a lot better than the one in Emerald (better organized, and the base/total stat values and happiness are really handy). Any chance you can bring back the one from FireRed?

3. Not a request for improvements but a question. Do the day/night cycles impact what kind of pokemon show up in the wild (love the day & night though)? I don't know if some are just that rare or if it's the time of day.

It's fine if any of these are a no. In any case, thank you for all the work you must have put into these games. I appreciate it :)

Thanks so much for the feedback! Unfortunately the EV/IV checker is a part of the rom base, which I have no idea how to edit. Ditto for the day/night cycle.

I've tried to add colours to the icons before but they always come out all screwy. I think there's some set palette deep in the game's code that all the icons draw from. So to be safeI just made them all black and white. It may be possible to add colour to them in the future though. :)

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2022
    Thanks for the reply. I guess the cycles are just for visuals then (apart from the few time bound things in Emerald), that's good to know.

The latest version kind of messed up the pokedex I'm afraid.
    * Ones I haven't caught but it thinks I have: Cherubimon, Guilmon, DemiDevimo, Sukamon, Yanmamon, Vilemon, Gaomon, Omekamon, Deramon, Owlmon, Seadramon.
    * Ones I caught but it thinks I haven't: Ketomon, Botamon, MetalKoromon, Kunemon, Poyomon, Punimon, YukimiBotamon, Mokumon, Pichimon, Yuramon, Budmon, Motimon.
    * Ones I haven't seen but it thinks I have: Raremon, Grapleomon.
    * The end of the pokedex at #354 is followed by #212 to #250 again (this was in the previous version too though)

I haven't been playing that long so the 'caught but it doesn't think so list' can potentially grow much longer, though the ones caught after updating seem to be fine apart from Budmon. I don't know if that's because I used my save file from the previous version or if there's just something in the patch.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2022
    Hey.

I just downloaded and set up the hack and started playing and ran into a glitch i haven't seen listed.
    the text in the digimon summarys isnt appearing.

Attachments

Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 8.02.08 PM.png
      41.1 KB · Views: 5
      Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 8.02.21 PM.png
      11.8 KB · Views: 0
      Screen Shot 2022-05-26 at 8.02.32 PM.png
      45.8 KB · Views: 1

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    Hey.

I just downloaded and set up the hack and started playing and ran into a glitch i haven't seen listed.
    the text in the digimon summarys isnt appearing.

You're using the wrong emulator. I had that happen to me when I tried to play with BizHawk.

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2023
    So, I may have played this game just a little for the ast couple weeks...

Now, to start, it was a blast from start to finish, so much so that I think caught and evolved every single digimon in the game, unless the ones in the open spaces are obtained in some way I don't know (as an aside, are tere actually 112 tms to be obtained? if so, how? I couldn't find most of the ones after tm50).

I wanted to thank you for putting so much time and effort in this and for giving all of us something so fun to do and explore, the unortodox evolution lines were so much fun to discover, the typings were 97% of the time pretty spot on,.

As far as bugs and glitches are concerned I didn't incur in any that haven't already been reported in this thread, though, I do have some perplexities and questions, the only thing I've not seen is the fact that all rare encounters in the fireypath are also encountered inside the magma hideout as my lv32 koromon demonstrated.

The first, one was already discussed I think, it's about Pumkinmon evolving into Woodmon, it really shuld be the other way around even if it looks like a rookie, yeah he was killed by Myotismon in the anime, but he was strong enough that none of the children's digimon at perfect level were able to beat it.

The second one is frigimon evolving from chakmon, which, while being an hybrid is still treated as a champion in every non frontier piece of media, not to mention that frigimon is a pretty underwhelming final evolution.

Third, why doesn't dokugumon evolve into arukenimon when she is in the game?, and speaking of bugs, almost all of them are either very low tier or just plain bad, is it because there aren't good/usable sprites for higher level bug digimon (Parasimon, tyrantkabuterimon, beetlemon, Okuwamon, Grankuwagamon etc) or you just don't like them (understandable)?

Fourth, is the regi quest still doable? if so how and what digimon do we get from it?

Fifth, some one said that digitamamon had lucky eggs, I killed hundreds (with thief) and never got one, was it removed?

Sixth, is there any specific reason for you deciding to make manbomon the only digimon capturable through the rods?

Seventh, Why does thundermon, a champion, evolve into bombernanimon, an arguably weaker champion? Also Nanimon into Apemon, another Championto champion evolution, though this time it's a weaker one into a much stronger one so it makes more sense, digimon do digivolve into the same level somethimes after all.

Eight, Why is justimon a standalone Digimon when you have the whole cyberdramon evolution line?

These are mostly out of curiosity, as you have seen I thoroughly enjoyed your work, I was just a bit perplexed by a few choices, that and the fact that I almost lost my sanity searching for the starters I didn't pick and some others since they are so rare XD (maybe they could be found less rarely in the post elitefour safary zone segment? just a thought).

Thank you again for this awesome experience, I how to see more from you :D.

EDIT: Bad image links.

Last edited:

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    So, I may have played this game just a little for the ast couple weeks...

Now, to start, it was a blast from start to finish, so much so that I think caught and evolved every single digimon in the game, unless the ones in the open spaces are obtained in some way I don't know (as an aside, are tere actually 112 tms to be obtained? if so, how? I couldn't find most of the ones after tm50).

I wanted to thank you for putting so much time and effort in this and for giving all of us something so fun to do and explore, the unortodox evolution lines were so much fun to discover, the typings were 97% of the time pretty spot on,.

As far as bugs and glitches are concerned I didn't incur in any that haven't already been reported in this thread, though, I do have some perplexities and questions, the only thing I've not seen is the fact that all rare encounters in the fireypath are also encountered inside the magma hideout as my lv32 koromon demonstrated.

The first, one was already discussed I think, it's about Pumkinmon evolving into Woodmon, it really shuld be the other way around even if it looks like a rookie, yeah he was killed by Myotismon in the anime, but he was strong enough that none of the children's digimon at perfect level were able to beat it.

The second one is frigimon evolving from chakmon, which, while being an hybrid is still treated as a champion in every non frontier piece of media, not to mention that frigimon is a pretty underwhelming final evolution.

Third, why doesn't dokugumon evolve into arukenimon when she is in the game?, and speaking of bugs, almost all of them are either very low tier or just plain bad, is it because there aren't good/usable sprites for higher level bug digimon (Parasimon, tyrantkabuterimon, beetlemon, Okuwamon, Grankuwagamon etc) or you just don't like them (understandable)?

Fourth, is the regi quest still doable? if so how and what digimon do we get from it?

Fifth, some one said that digitamamon had lucky eggs, I killed hundreds (with thief) and never got one, was it removed?

Sixth, is there any specific reason for you deciding to make manbomon the only digimon capturable through the rods?

Seventh, Why does thundermon, a champion, evolve into bombernanimon, an arguably weaker champion? Also Nanimon into Apemon, another Championto champion evolution, though this time it's a weaker one into a much stronger one so it makes more sense, digimon do digivolve into the same level somethimes after all.

Eight, Why is justimon a standalone Digimon when you have the whole cyberdramon evolution line?

These are mostly out of curiosity, as you have seen I thoroughly enjoyed your work, I was just a bit perplexed by a few choices, that and the fact that I almost lost my sanity searching for the starters I didn't pick and some others since they are so rare XD (maybe they could be found less rarely in the post elitefour safary zone segment? just a thought).

Thank you again for this awesome experience, I how to see more from you :D.

EDIT: Bad image links.

Thank you so much for spending so much time on my game! Actually, as it turns out you've been playing a slightly outdated version. The newest version answers most of your questions. Nevertheless, I'll go over them quickly.

0. The "blank spaces" have been filled in in the newest update. The final completed dex is now at 352. Feel free to check out the full dex here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZMly9znW5A

1. Pumpkinmon and Woodmon have indeed swapped places in the latest version. :)
    2. Frigimon now evolves to Hexeblaaumon in the latest version.
    3. Bug types are characterized in Pokemon for being early-game powerhouses that drop off later on. I continued that tradition here, with only the Kabuterimon line being the obvious exception. Dokugumon evolving into Arukenimon would screw up the "balance," since none of Fanbeemon's other evolutions can evolve a stage further. Plus Arukenimon goes hand in hand with Mummymon, and Mummymon doesn't have a pre-stage.
    4. The Regis, Latios/Latias, and Groudon/Kyogre quests have been removed since I find them tedious and boring. Check the front page FAQ on how to encounter this game's Legendaries. :)
    5. I think Digitamamons having a lucky egg was from a previous version.
    6. Fishing is lame. So instead of wasting the player's time catching different fish mons, I made manbomon (the Magikarp of the game) the only fish available.
    7. True, I took a few liberties here and there with Digimon's levels. The whole project started almost a year ago and was originally intended to just be a palette swap of the original game. Kind of like Moemon but with Digimon instead of waifus. Over time the project evolved into a more ambitious Fakemon hack. But elements from its early inception are still there, like having Nanimon being the game's Mankey and Thundermon/Bombnanimon being the game's Voltorb and Electrode, respectively.
    8. Justimon is now the final form of Monitamon and Deputymon in the latest version. Hearkening back to the early days, Justimon was the stand-in for Hitmonlee back when I made Nova Red.

So glad you enjoyed the game so much. I know you've already played the absolute shit out of it but maybe give it one more go with the newest version? There's still 20 or so mons you haven't seen yet. :)

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2023
    Well, I'll be, I guess I underestimated how fast you work XD.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions, and thank you for the new versione, since I already did most everything, I think it's a good time for a nuzlocke, last time I played with expall perpetually on so I could use a whole bunch of different mons during the game and only be slightly underleveled, this should feel different enough to warrant a new run :D (this time no elite 4 grinding to complete the digipedia, it took so long even if it was fun).
    And sorry but I must ask again about the tms, are there actually 112 or more? Where do we get them if so? The battle frontier?

At this point I have a couple more questions for you, do you think that removing the battle frontier facilities an subbing them with super trainers (maybe the digidestined?) would be a viable change? Cause I may do it to this rom just to have more postgame (it would obviously be for my own use and never live my pc).
    Also, while it was fun to get my imperialdramon and wargreymon to 100 I still think it's a bit much, you have nothing to use them on after that, while Milleniumon, the other op mon, becomes usable at lv 70 (I beat the legue for the first time with it at lv 68, when it evolved right after I laughed) maybe lv 80-85 or a special post elite 4 item to evolve them?

I also saw you intend to go back to nova red, I'd super love that, Emerald is great, but memes aside, there really is way to much water,half the map is just boring see...

Oh, almost forgot again, the custom moves are all awesome, even the ones that are not very strong, are still super flavorful :D.

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    Well, I'll be, I guess I underestimated how fast you work XD.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions, and thank you for the new versione, since I already did most everything, I think it's a good time for a nuzlocke, last time I played with expall perpetually on so I could use a whole bunch of different mons during the game and only be slightly underleveled, this should feel different enough to warrant a new run :D (this time no elite 4 grinding to complete the digipedia, it took so long even if it was fun).
    And sorry but I must ask again about the tms, are there actually 112 or more? Where do we get them if so? The battle frontier?

At this point I have a couple more questions for you, do you think that removing the battle frontier facilities an subbing them with super trainers (maybe the digidestined?) would be a viable change? Cause I may do it to this rom just to have more postgame (it would obviously be for my own use and never live my pc).
    Also, while it was fun to get my imperialdramon and wargreymon to 100 I still think it's a bit much, you have nothing to use them on after that, while Milleniumon, the other op mon, becomes usable at lv 70 (I beat the legue for the first time with it at lv 68, when it evolved right after I laughed) maybe lv 80-85 or a special post elite 4 item to evolve them?

I also saw you intend to go back to nova red, I'd super love that, Emerald is great, but memes aside, there really is way to much water,half the map is just boring see...

Oh, almost forgot again, the custom moves are all awesome, even the ones that are not very strong, are still super flavorful :D.

Lots of TMs are scattered throughout Hoenn and for sale at the Lilycove mart. Not all 112 though. They're in the game's code so I guess I could include them anywhere.

Tbh I never bother much with postgames whenever I played a Pokemon game or a romhack. I usually just beat the Champion and that's it. So bearing that in mind there's probably all sorts of glitches at the Battle Frontier if you go there. Having the DigiDestined there for some super trainer battles is an intriguing idea though. :)

Working on the Nova Red remake atm. It's coming along well.

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2024
    Finally done the front sprite, I think it turned out alright. I'd love to see it added if you can spare one more slot.

[Edit] Threw together a back sprite. The weapons are flipped, but I think it looks good overall.

Attachments

Gallantmon Crimson final.png
      19.7 KB · Views: 129
      Gallantmon Crimson back.png
      21.5 KB · Views: 121
    Last edited:

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    Finally done the front sprite, I think it turned out alright. I'd love to see it added if you can spare one more slot.

[Edit] Threw together a back sprite. The weapons are flipped, but I think it looks good overall.

Thanks for your hard work! I can throw it in as a Mega Evolution option. Since you made the sprite, it's only fitting you get to choose how to obtain the "Gallantmonite" (or whatever I should call it). Where should I hide it? (For reference, the Mega Bracelet is obtained by gambling your ass off at the Game Corner, Dorumon's X-Antibody is obtained on the sunken ship, and Shoutmon's Xross Code is obtained from Prof. Cozmo in exchange for the meteorite)

Years
    • Seen May 29, 2022
    Hi! I try to extract any Digimon sprite using advance pokemon sprite editor but it show me a data is not lz77 compressed error.
    I need Garudamon, Hercules Kabuterimon, Shogun Gekomon, Gaogamon, Mech Gaogamon, Leomon, Taomon and Rapidmon sprite. Can you help me posting it here in this discussion?

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    Hi! I try to extract any Digimon sprite using advance pokemon sprite editor but it show me a data is not lz77 compressed error.
    I need Garudamon, Hercules Kabuterimon, Shogun Gekomon, Gaogamon, Mech Gaogamon, Leomon, Taomon and Rapidmon sprite. Can you help me posting it here in this discussion?

Do you mind telling me what you're using my sprites for?

Years
    • Seen May 29, 2022
    I can't use your sprite first for the copyright that i know and second because can't extract it. I would make a shiny version of it only for personal use. If this make you a problem i'm sorry for asked.

Guzeinbuick

I make Digimon rom hacks
    Years
    • Seen today
    I can't use your sprite first for the copyright that i know and second because can't extract it. I would make a shiny version of it only for personal use. If this make you a problem i'm sorry for asked.

No worries, thanks for your response. If anyone wants to extract my sprites from the game, realistically there's nothing I can really do to stop them. All I ask is that you please give credit.
    If you want to try your hand at making your own, all sprites in the game (besides those outlined on the first page in the Credits section) are from here:

https://www.spriters-resource.com/search/?q=digimon

Back