• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Confessions of a Dunkin Donut's Employee (We Are Scientists, Cyanide & Happiness, Bad Logic) [Daily Bloggity Entry #34]

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
  • ebtQIPE.png

Date: 27 March 2014
    Time: 3:25 PM ET
    Mood: Enjoying my rare day off <3

So this may turn into a rant more than anything, but I just wanted to touch into a job that I am currently working associated in. As you may or may not have known, I am currently a part time worker at the corporate giant Dunkin Donuts as I pay off my college tuition. I've been working there since last April, and usually I'll clock in anywhere from 35-40 hours there in 8 hour shift intervals. This entry wouldn't exactly be about the operation itself - I'll probably end up talking about that in a future blog entry - but more about the customers that I deal with and their actions which personally rub me the wrong way.

Daily Music - "Worth The Wait" by We Are Scientists
    Spoiler:
    I don't know if this just may be a personal vendetta of mine, but I've come to the conclusion that a lot of people are stuck-up rude jerks (and that's the clean way of putting it). There are just some things that the customer does that is completely rude and unnecessary which I'd like to put in the spot light which the hopefully you wont do the next time you visit a place that offers a service to you. First off, get off of the bloody phone. If you're going into a business to order something, don't act like your call is so darn important that you can't put down the phone for 5 seconds to have a conversation with the employee. Many times customers have barely listened to what I was asking them just because they were too preoccupied with their phone calls. If you were having a conversation with one of your friends, you wouldn't be on the phone at the same time: it's rude and insulting for whoever you are talking. Another thing is pick up after. Furthermore, if we give you a receipt, don't put it right back down on the counter right in between you and I. There is a trash can a few feet right behind you, so please, we're not your house maids that clean up after you. If you don't want the receipt, either tell us right away, or throw it out yourself.

Daily Comic - "Jesus" by Cyanide and Happiness
    Spoiler:
    Going off of that, don't try to shove trash from your car into the drive thru's trash if it's completely full. Many a times I've come out to change the lining to see the trash littered all over the ground due to people's stupidity and unwillingness to wait 5 more minutes until they get home to throw their car's trash out. I feel even worse knowing that on the other side of the drive thru are people's houses, and because of the customer's willingness to shove everything from their car into the trash it ends up overflowing and going into the neighbor's yard. Now, I know that this is also a reflection on our part as it should be changed more often (you also need to realize that during rush hours it's very difficult to go outside and do that as ever working hand is needed in there), but if you saw trash on your yard you would be pretty upset as well.

Daily Video - "BADLOGIC" by animator TwistedGrimTV
    Spoiler:
    Lastly, this last complaint is associated with with the drive thru. You really shouldn't be going through the drive thru if you are ordering a.) boxes upon boxes of donuts, b.) a box of joe, c.) multiple sandwiches, or d.) a humongous order of any kind. The drive thru is meant for quick and efficient in-and-out orders, and by doing that you are hindering the progress of other people just trying to get their cup of coffee. Furthermore, if you didn't know how a Dunkin Donuts works, we are timed whenever someone comes through the drive thru: from taking the order to giving you your food and drinks, we only have 2 minutes and 30 seconds to get it out there. You might think that's a lot of time but it's really not: to properly cook your food - and this is going a stretch as the way we nuke your food is really gross - takes at least a minute, and if you are taking your sweet time with your order than it ends up deterring our time. That's why if sometimes you think that an employee sounds a little bitter over the intercom (which I personally never do, but I've seen others become) it's because they are worried about the time. If it goes over that allotted time, our percentage for the day goes down and if the overall percentage reaches below a certain amount, our district manager yells at the store manager, who in turn gets upset with us. So if you have a big order, all I'm asking is that you consider going inside to make it, as it will help us out immensely.

I could go on and on about Dunkin Donuts - I'll probably end up making a part 2 at some point - but I feel that's fine for one blog entry. Are you a regular customer at Dunkin Donuts? Have you ever seen an employee or customer be rude to the latter? What are your opinions on what I have ranted on about? Comment below as I'd love to hear and discuss what you have to say about this!

‡ As always, the "Daily Bloggity" is self written by myself and includes just some of my opinions on different mediums. If you have a subject that you might want me to touch on, feel free to PM me or comment below! I would love to hear some of your ideas! Tune in tomorrow at 5PM Eastern Time for the next edition of the "Daily Bloggity!" Cheers! ‡

- elheroeoscuro

Spoiler:

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • There are no DDs here. But the local fast food thingabomb I go to has employees who I'd call unnecessarily crappy. You go to them with the token to get your snack hoping that the two guys who are just sitting behind the employee, who is working on an order, doing small tasks would work on yours. But nope, they will not. You have to wait till the one guy finishes doing his thing. Those two only need to take the token, put the snacks in a plate and give it to me. Would take 15 seconds at most. Buuuut noope. You gotta wait for like 2-3 minutes. And then, if by chance someone else's token gets accepted before yours, there goes more of your time. I'm a nice-ish person so I don't say anything to anyone but it is irritating as ♥♥♥♥. And there's no penalty for them apparently so why should they care huh? ;;

Though I know customers can be jackasses too. I've seen many. I wish people could just...be nice to each other and employees do their work efficiently. ;;

Crux

Evermore
    Years
  • Let's see, usually I ask for the receipt, so I don't ever leave it just sitting there. I never use my phone when doing any kind of check out, at all, unless it literally is dire urgent. And I just straight up don't use the drive thru, because I prefer to make pleasant small talk with the cashier while putting in/paying for my order.

You would love me, as a customer! :D
    Honestly, though, I go to Dairy Queen more than Dunkin Donuts. . .

But a lot of that is just a matter of uncommon decency, in my opinion.

Oh! And, always make sure you're ready to check out, instead of fussing through you wallet for three minutes when you go to pay. I mean, honestly people.

Oh, and, Cyanide and Happiness, ftw.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Interesting, my older brother worked at DD, but he never mentioned that employees were timed. He'd chit chat with me a lot while getting me some donuts. I'm still craving for more boxes of donuts. Can I swing on by? I'll be an angel. I'd be as pleasant as possible, since I feel for ya, after working part-time in fast food for 5 weeks and meeting some very rude customers.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    My friend got fired from Dunkin Donuts for discounting her friends on a cup of coffee.

Can I have a medium iced coffee with extra cream and extra sugar and hazelnut and caramel flavoring?

I go to Dunkin Donuts a lot. That's my order. It's really good. I love their liquid sugar in iced tea, and I made the mistake of requesting it in my coffee once. It was disgusting. I was also experimenting with the coffee flavors, and found out that raspberry and caramel is a very terrible mix.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Yeah we're really not supposed to do that. The 10% discount is only supposed to be used for seniors, but I've seen other employees use it on their friends like your friend did.

It's always hard to find that perfect up of coffee to be honest. Dunkin Donuts has so many flavors and shots you can put it in their coffee that it's almost impossible to keep yourself from trying to mix and match.

Fun Fact: new flavors of the month for April are Jamocha Chocolate Fudge Swirl, Cookie Dough Swirl, Mint Chocolate Chip Swirl, and Butter Pecan Swirl in case you want to try them early. I personally really like the Jamocha Swirl. You're welcome!

Back