• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Conficker-the major virus bomb of 09 said to lay down its might on april 1st.

Zet

Years
    of course you came out clean, it's not April 1st yet. Also you might wanna read over a few other topics involving anti-viruses to know how bad of a protection you're using

also here's a thanks to Blazichu for giving me this link https://www.bdtools.net/ bitdefender has released a tool that will remove conficker

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    its just a hoax. look what happened when the Y2K came out and everyone freaked that their computers were going to blow up or something. same thing here.

If you are that paranoid, just unplug your internet for the day and get back on the next.
    Y2k was a rumor that something bad would happen due to electronics not being able to register the year as 2000. This is a much smaller hoax.

revelp8

My mohawk is on fiiiyaaaa!
    Years
    I've read all of that stuff about how it attacks security programs and being able to manipulate microsoft servers and completely shutting them down. but on the other hand, a worm being released on April fools day? c'mon, if that doesn't scream HOAX right in your ears, i don't know what else to say.

Even if its released, only big companies using (assuming from what i've read) are only affected by this worm. People using networks at home aren't affected at all, IF they aren't using the big company's network.

But why the big scare? its just rumors fueling more rumors.

Zet

Years
    I've read all of that stuff about how it attacks security programs and being able to manipulate microsoft servers and completely shutting them down. but on the other hand, a worm being released on April fools day? c'mon, if that doesn't scream HOAX right in your ears, i don't know what else to say.

Even if its released, only big companies using (assuming from what i've read) are only affected by this worm. People using networks at home aren't affected at all, IF they aren't using the big company's network.

But why the big scare? its just rumors fueling more rumors.
    yeah, I'm sure home users would love losing their credit card and bank details from conficker

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    It greatly scares me. :D I have no virus protection and amazingly I do believe it's real. XD;

revelp8

My mohawk is on fiiiyaaaa!
    Years
    yeah, I'm sure home users would love losing their credit card and bank details from conficker

im sure they would :\ not

from the other things i've been reading, if people can just turn on their auto-update on their PC, they should be fine.

From talking to a friend, Im guessing that mid-sized companies using microsoft servers are the ones most in danger since they don't use firewalls on their servers.

Nemaru

nah
    Years
    I heard about this a few days back. It's not just called Conficker it's actually called Conficker C, because it's like a more harmful version of a regular Conficker virus. I just upgraded Windows earlier, upgrading firewall, AVG, and Norton (Yes I have 2 Anti-Virus systems, Norton came with the laptop) and I backed up my files. Conficker C is no match for my awesomeness.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    AVG and Spybot you say!!?!?!?!??? my god, you're already infected D; update to something that isn't crap.

Also has there been any real proof of this said virus?

I should hope you were being sarcastic. Pardon my density if you were being sarcastic.

of course you came out clean, it's not April 1st yet. Also you might wanna read over a few other topics involving anti-viruses to know how bad of a protection you're using

also here's a thanks to Blazichu for giving me this link https://www.bdtools.net/ bitdefender has released a tool that will remove conficker

Here's a nice read.

That there is the Zero Day blog. 9/10 times they know and blog about big security issues as they are revealed, and continue to cover most issues up to the point where patches are released. I myself read it all daily to keep up with all the new malware and exploits being discovered. (Not to mention I keep my system meticulously updated anyways)

But I digress, You really shouldn't be worried, especially not if your system is fully patched and up to date. As many users have said previously, that's usually the case with a default install of windows. (Windows update may be a pain in the keister sometimes, but it does save our bacons when it comes to malware a lot of times. XD)

For all we know, this could be an elaborate April Fools joke by a certain group of technology news sites. I could easily be wrong, but eh, don't rule out the possibility. ;D
    We americans love april first. :P

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    Zaine he was serious. I dunno how the hell you find that he was sarcastic. Back in the day yeah AVG was at least a bit reliable but now if you have it you might already be infected. Thats also something i want to warn about. You have AVG or something else you best be getting something else and soon. Otherwise bye bye computer on april 1. At least i hope not.

Years
    He wasn't kidding about AVG. I removed it after noticing the effects and finding a virus by hand before it did. It's a joke of an AV in most people's opinions. Spybot's a bit dated, but not too bad, if you're running TeaTimer.

It may or may not be an April Fools joke, but we know that the virus exists (it's in virus definition DBs) and I doubt the news sites are likely to knowingly spread a rumour like this. I'm staying off the net with Windows (XP) from April 1st until I find out what's happening with the situation. Time to boot up the Ubuntu Desktop...

EDIT: What Swift? How are you expecting to get by without any AV protection? There's several free options that you could run. Unless of course you're not running Windows...

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
    Poor swift. Stay off the internet that day and be extra careful after that day.

That's actually what I was planning on doing.
    I was thinking I could shut down my computer on the 31st and not start it up again for a few days.

What Swift? How are you expecting to get by without any AV protection? There's several free options that you could run. Unless of course you're not running Windows...

I'm running Windows and I was actually meaning to get some high quility virus protection, I guess now would be a better time than ever.
    Good thing I've got enough money to head into my local PC shop and buy the best virus protection program I can find.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    He wasn't kidding about AVG. I removed it after noticing the effects and finding a virus by hand before it did. It's a joke of an AV in most people's opinions. Spybot's a bit dated, but not too bad, if you're running TeaTimer.

It may or may not be an April Fools joke, but we know that the virus exists (it's in virus definition DBs) and I doubt the news sites are likely to knowingly spread a rumour like this. I'm staying off the net with Windows (XP) from April 1st until I find out what's happening with the situation. Time to boot up the Ubuntu Desktop...

EDIT: What Swift? How are you expecting to get by without any AV protection? There's several free options that you could run. Unless of course you're not running Windows...

That's my point, Avast! is better than AVG.
    And Spybot S&D's Tea-timer (that's it's resident protection) is a LIFESAVER when it comes to the newest threats, as it monitors all registry changes and notifies you accordingly. Once you get Tea-timer trained up with what kinds of registry changes to let pass without worry, and which ones you want the red flag to be raised upon, it's really useful. (Though if you're installing programs you trust, it helps to disable it while you're doing that)

Back