• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Conficker-the major virus bomb of 09 said to lay down its might on april 1st.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    So yeah do you think the doom of conficker will be upon us on that date? Are you taking measures for your computer? I know i am i really dont want to be infected with it or anything but im sure nod32 will do just fine for me protecting it and all.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
    I'm just going to hold off on allowing a freshly installed windows 7 VM to connect to the internet until after the 1st. that should cover me pretty well.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    The potential scale of infection is large because 30 percent of Windows computers do not have the Microsoft Windows patch released in October 2008 to block this vulnerability.
    This gives me a bloated sense of security, having accepted all updates except IE7.

Rukario

Banned
    Years
    a properly patched and updated windows machine running a quality, updated anti-virus app should have no issues with this threat.

Its those unpatched, older systems that we need to worry about.. The overall effect may or may not affect the net or you just night see a spike in spam levels..

bottom line is; I guess we'll find out on April 1st.. ironically April Fool's Day.. lol

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2017
    I have a Macbook Pro and an iMac so I'll just sit back and laugh at all the PC-users misfortune.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    That was mean. Real mean. But yeah I am not all too worried i jut posted this to see if others are and if they took measures. I do not want any of our members to be infected. although there are some people that tend to piss me off and i think should rot

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    Unfortunately i think i am part of that 30%.Hopefully not and i am safe.

...have you updated Windows since October? Most Microsoft computers have automatic Windows Update dowloads as default, so being unprotected is somewhat harder than the opposite.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    Yeah automatic. So then im safe. YAY! Oh well then i hope nothing happens. But i wanna see what happens and how bad the internet will be.

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    I'm so sure that this is a hoax that I'm willing to downgrade my system.

Years
    I dunno. I updated last night just to be safe. As for IE, I recently upgraded to IE8, so no problems there. We'll just have to see what happens on April 1st *shrugs*

revelp8

My mohawk is on fiiiyaaaa!
    Years
    its just a hoax. look what happened when the Y2K came out and everyone freaked that their computers were going to blow up or something. same thing here.

If you are that paranoid, just unplug your internet for the day and get back on the next.

Back