• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Conficker-the major virus bomb of 09 said to lay down its might on april 1st.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    Microsoft has a bounty on whoever made this, dead or alive? Wow. I didn't know that they're this serious!

What is this Dark Google??

Oh yeah, does Mac get affected as well?

Mike Ukiuki

Fight me if you dare.
    Years
    I don't think this is real you think there would be alot more warnings like on the news, msnbc, emails. But I am still kinda freaked out. :( I have a new vista so that should be safe, but I am not going to use my XP tomarrow.

Last edited:

Weatherman Kiyoshi

~Having one of THOSE days
    Years
    Microsoft has a bounty on whoever made this, dead or alive? Wow. I didn't know that they're this serious!

What is this Dark Google??

Oh yeah, does Mac get affected as well?

Yeah, something like...
    25,000 bounty.

You know what's the sickening part?
    There is this 14 year old kid in Russia that is an extreme hacker,
    Who has stoen money from plenty of bank and etc. accounts.

The russian government is perfectly fine with this, and even some praise like "Yeah! You stole money from some greedy westerners!" has uproared.

I wonder is it has gotten through anyones head that Robbery is more severe than greed.

Anyway, I believe I saw something on 60 minutes that said he might be the creator.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I don't think this is real you think there would be alot more warnings like on the news, msnbc, emails. But I am still kinda freaked out. :( I have a new vista so that should be safe, but I am not going to use my XP tomarrow.
    It's not a question of if it's real or not; April 1st is a confirmed trigger date for Conficker. What this means is less clear, however many tech analysts suggest that much of the extra concern is undue. This doesn't mean, however, that you should not worry about the worm at all; it is already extremely dangerous, and it will remain so on and after April 1st.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    Yeah, something like...
    25,000 bounty.

You know what's the sickening part?
    There is this 14 year old kid in Russia that is an extreme hacker,
    Who has stoen money from plenty of bank and etc. accounts.

The russian government is perfectly fine with this, and even some praise like "Yeah! You stole money from some greedy westerners!" has uproared.

I wonder is it has gotten through anyones head that Robbery is more severe than greed.

Anyway, I believe I saw something on 60 minutes that said he might be the creator.
    Hmm... I see.

How much did he stole? Isn't the US concerned about this at all? I never heard this in the news.

Some foreigners just doesn't like the US. It's simple as that.

There's a possible chance that he could be, but I think that the Russian government should put their foot down when one of their citizen is plannin' on destroyin' about 1k PCs out there.

Mike Ukiuki

Fight me if you dare.
    Years
    It's not a question of if it's real or not; April 1st is a confirmed trigger date for Conficker. What this means is less clear, however many tech analysts suggest that much of the extra concern is undue. This doesn't mean, however, that you should not worry about the worm at all; it is already extremely dangerous, and it will remain so on and after April 1st.

How long do you think it will last?

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
    Everything I have is up to date and patched up. This is also a new system, so I'm fairly sure I'll be ok.

Oh, wait... April 1st? Surely you can do better than that.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    hey guys, just want to let all you mac users know, I heard a rumor going around that there's a mac version of this

I hope that is an April Fools Joke in China at the moment... :(

I guess I'll disconnect my modem and advance my date in 20 hours. This virus going on is just a big bundle of... well...wtfjellyblobs.

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    I think I will be alright. My anti-virus is updated. Yes I have Norton, but I also have Windows XP Service Pack 3. So I should be safe. But just the same, I won't be online tomorrow and Wednesday. I will have my cable modem unplugged and it is away from my computer.

I guess I do something else with my time.

Last edited:

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
    I'm very interested to see what this Conflicker will actually do.. my school's entire network is effected with it and tomorrow should be quite an interesting day if Conflicker does have some sort of very negative influence.
    My personal laptop should hopefully be safe enough. I have the most recent Vista updates and 3 anti-virus programs running: avast!, Avira Free and Norton (but I'm getting rid of Norton once the trial expires). I probably won't come online tomorrow just in case, until after I find out what this virus will actually do. I am actually slightly worried, I've caught practically all of the larger worms and viruses in the past few years before but I hope this time will be an exception.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I'm very interested to see what this Conflicker will actually do.. my school's entire network is effected with it and tomorrow should be quite an interesting day if Conflicker does have some sort of very negative influence.
    My personal laptop should hopefully be safe enough. I have the most recent Vista updates and 3 anti-virus programs running: avast!, Avira Free and Norton (but I'm getting rid of Norton once the trial expires). I probably won't come online tomorrow just in case, until after I find out what this virus will actually do. I am actually slightly worried, I've caught practically all of the larger worms and viruses in the past few years before but I hope this time will be an exception.
    It's actually a bad idea to run more than one antivirus program at a time; they can interfere with each others' operation. You should uninstall Norton, as it's just a trial, and uninstall Avira, as there are reports it is unable to detect Conficker. Avast! will recognize Conficker as Win32:Confi. Also, for the record, it's called "Conficker;" it comes from combining the word "configure" with a German swear word.

If you've been repeatedly infected, I can give you a bit of advice. First, follow the steps I outlined in my earlier post for preventing infection by Conficker regarding disabling autoplay/autorun and disabling shared folders. Alternately, just do not connect to any infected computers or use any removable media that has come into contact with infected computers. If your school's network is affected with it, you should bring it to the head technician's attention, and direct him or her to the Sophos program I attached to my earlier post. An easy way to test if you are infected is to try to access the website of an anti-virus vendor; if you cannot access it or are redirected to another site, you may be infected.

Additionally, make sure that if you are running Firefox, you are using the latest version of Adblock Plus. If you are not using Firefox, configure your browser to use Privoxy (just Google instructions for your browser). You may also want to consider using OpenDNS, as it has a few security features and makes things a bit faster.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    Question whats a good filter for ad block plus? I need to know so i can put it on. if not a subscription filter then how do i place my own?

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    I am so freaking worried about this. This is going to attack Windows operating systems, right? Goodness. And we may already havr it stored? Scary....

Years
    AVG and Spybot you say!!?!?!?!??? my god, you're already infected D; update to something that isn't crap.

lol. AVG is like a virus's best friend... It doesnt pick up viruses so it gets less work XD

btw; I wouldnt be scared of the virus people, IMO its nothing to worry about if you dont viciously surf the internet

Zet

Years
    Why do people think they're going to be infected without browsing one of the many infected domains?

also it's April 1st now, no signs of infection

Back