• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Conficker-the major virus bomb of 09 said to lay down its might on april 1st.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    He will rent it out make butt loads of many off of that and screw up leaving a trail of money and too many people informing the cops for more money. The works of a corrupt system in 1 day!

Zet

Years
    I still haven't found anywhere that confirms this, so I must still refute it. Please share your source.
    I would love to share where I get my information from but that's sorta like going against the rules you know

1. don't talk about fight club
    2. don't talk about fight club

It's like that but all I do know from my source is that the Chinese hackers(yeah apparently it's Chinese hackers who made it) who made conficker have made a mac version/are making a mac version

Switchblade

Steel Master.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2009
    Mac is totally safer than Vista, Honest gov'

(I'll post a link to why i sound sarcastic once my post count is over 15 and i can link to websites)

Zet

Years
    How about going to get your facts straight instead? No computer is safe. Not from a virus; not from anything. This isn't just respective of the internet; your computer is compromised at any point if its physically accessible. And just for your information, Macs have been compromised in security for years. Even PCs. And viruses have existed on the classic Mac OS for goodness knows how long. So really, go get your facts checked out.

By the way, quit it with all the "I heard this" nonsense if you can't source it, seriously.
    I never said macs were completely immune to everything I said they were immune to conficker at first. And if you really want some sources go browse some /i/ and other boards but I'm not revealing my main sources.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I updated my Conficker post with this link, which is basically a fast way to tell if you have Conficker. Check it out if you're worried.

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    Conficker-the major virus bomb of 09 said to lay down its might on april 1st.

Chinese hackers you say?

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    Hi guys. You thought things with confiker are over? Oh boy its not. Its way way way WAY not over. It only just begun. Read this and shite bricks.
    https://i.gizmodo.com/5197148/how-the-conficker-problem-just-got-much-worse
    That's if you have conficker. I don't see what the programmer of this malware would gain by destroying your computer. Remember, it only updates itself, NOT releasing a new worm. So, if your clean, there's not much to worry about. But remember, this is good evidence why to keep up with the updates.

Stop acting like it's going to be a Microsoft Armegeddon - you can simply just transfer a Conficker removal program from a non-infected computer to an infected computer and remove it there. If that doesn't work (which I wouldn't be suprised if in the near future it wouldn't), then there's a way to remove it manually, mentioned here:
    https://support.microsoft.com/kb/962007
    When all of that fails, then you can start freaking.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    True but still its interesting to see what could happen to pcs. And it is close to creating Armageddon. But not that close. But it is still interesting to see it.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    Conficker virus begins to attack PCs
    A malicious software program known as Conficker that many feared would wreak havoc on April 1 is slowly being activated, weeks after being dismissed as a false alarm, security experts said.

Conficker, also known as Downadup or Kido, is quietly turning thousands of personal computers into servers of e-mail spam and installing spyware, they said.

The worm started spreading late last year, infecting millions of computers and turning them into "slaves" that respond to commands sent from a remote server that effectively controls an army of computers known as a botnet.

Its unidentified creators started using those machines for criminal purposes in recent weeks by loading more malicious software onto a small percentage of computers under their control, said Vincent Weafer, a vice president with Symantec Security Response, the research arm of the world's largest security software maker, ymantec Corp.

"Expect this to be long-term, slowly changing," he said of the worm. "It's not going to be fast, aggressive."

Conficker installs a second virus, known as Waledac, that sends out e-mail spam without knowledge of the PC's owner, along with a fake anti-spyware program, Weafer said.

The Waledac virus recruits the PCs into a second botnet that has existed for several years and specializes in distributing e-mail spam.

"This is probably one of the most sophisticated botnets on the planet. The guys behind this are very professional. They absolutely know what they are doing," said Paul Ferguson, a senior researcher with Trend Micro Inc, the world's third-largest security software maker.

He said Conficker's authors likely installed a spam engine and another malicious software program on tens of thousands of computers since April 7.

He said the worm will stop distributing the software on infected PCs on May 3 but more attacks will likely follow.

"We expect to see a different component or a whole new twist to the way this botnet does business," said Ferguson, a member of The Conficker Working Group, an international alliance of companies fighting the worm.

Researchers had feared the network controlled by the Conficker worm might be deployed on April 1 since the worm surfaced last year because it was programed to increase communication attempts from that date.

The security industry formed the task force to fight the worm, bringing widespread attention that experts said probably scared off the criminals who command the slave computers.

The task force initially thwarted the worm using the Internet's traffic control system to block access to servers that control the slave computers.

Viruses that turn PCs into slaves exploit weaknesses in Microsoft's Windows operating system. The Conficker worm is especially tricky because it can evade corporate firewalls by passing from an infected machine onto a USB memory stick, then onto another PC.

The Conficker botnet is one of many such networks controlled by syndicates that authorities believe are based in eastern Europe, Southeast Asia, China and Latin America.
    It is not over people its just beginning. Eastern Europe? Great America and such got Swine Flu while over here the threat for Confiker is worse.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    I could have told you this... wait, I did tell you this before April 1st. The trigger on April 1st basically just changed the way it looks for updates, and by now most of the infected computers have downloaded their payload.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    A joke? So let me see we have an elite force trying to eliminate this threat it is the most advanced and complicated botnet will eventually try to squirm it's way into every computer and it is a joke?

.inLOVE

el su bosillo <3
    Years
    I can guarantee you this isn't a joke. Viruses are dangerous, no matter how small or harmless they may seem. No virus is a "joke".

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    My friend's computer became infected with the virus, and he lent me his computer to tamper with it. After loading all the files on his hard drive to a Linux machine I have, I'm going to try and see if I can actually try to isolate the damn thing.

Back