• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Confusing Pokemon Anatomy?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
    You know, sometimes I get confused on how game freak creates a pokemon's art or anatomy, so I've had my misconceptions...constantly. Is there a pokemon you can think of that you just get confused by the anatomy, or the artwork of it? If you could, how would you fix that? (or would you?) Like for example, I couldn't understand why Sudowoodo was a rock type, yet it have its "branches with leaves". Also, I used to think that Cradily's actual eyes was its teeth; probably something I probably wouldn't fix, but, it was just...weird the first time I saw a Cradily, when I was still just a kid.

Last edited:

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    I always see Poliwag's mouth as its nose and Anorith's eyes as horns of sorts. I'm sure there are more, but those were the first two that came to mind. XD

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
    I always see Poliwag's mouth as its nose and Anorith's eyes as horns of sorts. I'm sure there are more, but those were the first two that came to mind. XD
    Actually, I've had that misconception about Poliwag ALOT when I was younger too. o3o; Cause well, Poliwhirl and Poliwrath have no mouth, right? They have that...swirl on its...body. So I assumed Poliwag had the swirl as its mouth. @_@;

Not too sure about Anorith; but I know I've thought that Armaldo had no eyes though. :3;

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
    well i don't get confused by pokemn, but there are some pokemon shapes that annoy me, for instants, maloetta, the new bw legendary, she does not look like a pokemon to me, i just can't see what makes her a pokemon, she looks like a humon to me....
    and those two fighting types in bw, why are they in karate uniforms, and those mushroom pokemon also in bw, how could a pokemon have a pokemon shape on it ?? (it possible the pokemon's colors were taken from this pokemon, but i thinks its weird and unlikely), and more, like that icecream bw pokemon, WHY IS THERE A STRAW IN HIM ????, makes him look so freek'n weird...... and there are many more..lol.....

Gunn

horror resident
    Years

I used to think that Metapod looked like a little angry-looking crescent moon, ha.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 34
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019

I used to think that Metapod looked like a little angry-looking crescent moon, ha.

Yeah, that's probably the number one misconception I've ever had on a Pokemon design. I still think to this day, every time I see it that it's mad, rather than sad.

The other one that comes to mind is Trubbish's mouth. Everytime I see its sprite, I think its a nose and not a mouth.

King Of The Blues

Still got the Blues, For you.
    Years
    When I see Woobat, I always think it's nose is an eye with the nostril being a heart - shaped pupil.

That's probably one of my few confusion about pokemon and their anatomy.

Jonrawwr

Bassist
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2012
    Metapod darn that confused me so much ><
    But now I see it as a sad face....abit :3

jynx

Er.../eh...
    Years
    When I first saw Gardevoir's RS sprite,
    I was looking at it the other way round,
    so I thought those 3 spikes were her nose and lips.
    Took me a while to realise that I was viewing it the other way round.

When I see Woobat, I always think it's nose is an eye with the nostril being a heart - shaped pupil.

That's probably one of my few confusion about pokemon and their anatomy.

me too!

And I was freaked out since I'm scared of single-eyed stuff.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    Woobat confused me too, lol.
    Um... about anatomy in general... less attention seems to be paid to it in newer generations. That's all.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Yeah, that's probably the number one misconception I've ever had on a Pokemon design. I still think to this day, every time I see it that it's mad, rather than sad.

The other one that comes to mind is Trubbish's mouth. Everytime I see its sprite, I think its a nose and not a mouth.

WHAT?! Metapod faces the other way?!

Mind = blown

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
    Admittedly, I also saw (and still see) the patterns on Cradily's head as its eyes, and it's true eyes as teeth. I likely wouldn't do so much as to fix it as to make reference of it in a Pokédex entry.

"The pattern on the head of this ancient Pok
    émon resembles a set of eyes, intimidating and confusing foes."

Last edited:

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    You know, sometimes I get confused on how game freak creates a pokemon's art or anatomy, so I've had my misconceptions...constantly. Is there a pokemon you can think of that you just get confused by the anatomy, or the artwork of it? If you could, how would you fix that? (or would you?) Like for example, I couldn't understand why Sudowoodo was a rock type, yet it have its "branches with leaves". Also, I used to think that Cradily's actual eyes was its teeth; probably something I probably wouldn't fix, but, it was just...weird the first time I saw a Cradily, when I was still just a kid.

I thought that Graveler's second set of arms (below the first ones) were just rocky patterns that happened to look like hands.

Similar to Cradily, I thought the black eyes on Kabuto's shell were its real eyes...until I learned otherwise. Got a bit cooler/creepier with those ominous red orbs...

You know how everyone thinks the main bulbous part of Wobbuffet is really Wobbuffet? On TVTropes, someone posted a theory of the black tail being Wobbuffet's true self, with the big blue part just being a decoy. Its various PokeDex entries reference how Wobbuffet is overly protective of its tail, to the point where offensive strikes on the tail cause Wobbuffet to become aggressive. Not to mention, the tail does have a face on it and sticks out like a sore thumb...could THAT be the secret that Wobbuffet has been hiding? (as its DPPt/BW Dex entries hint at) Have we been falling for it all this time...?

The image of Masquerain can get really weird when you imagine the wings as its actual eyes, and you imagine the red "nose" as the mouth of the body.

Nosepass's RSE sprite drove me bonkers at times - I keep on thinking that its right leg is actually its mouth in a whistling form.

Mawile is like Pokemon anatomy confusion incarnate at first glance. XD

I thought Carvanha didn't have a mouth, but apparently the "red" section opens to reveal its jaws!

I've always thought that the lower dots on Wailmer are the eyes, but some people contest that... @_@

I just thought Barboach was some ugly thing because I could not figure out where the heck its eyes were supposed to be. In actuality, it looks a bit cute. :)

Ah..Cradily, the original disguise culprit. Very surprising. Like many, it seems, I thought the yellow circles on the green skin were the actual eyes, and the yellow orbs in the black void were...something else, I guess its teeth? It used to look very ugly to me. Then I found out that the yellow orbs are the TRUE eyes, with the yellow-on-green-skin circles serving as decoys. The design got way cooler for me.

I thought Snorunt was just some big old horrible mouth gaping its pitch-black mouth open-wide at me. It looked very weird at first. But then the anime showed me that the little faint blue dots are EYES! Insta-cuteness! ^^

I'm just going to say that I thought (and still think) that the "Braille markings" are their eyes...

Jirachi has a THIRD EYE?! WTF? That was a major creepy moment of the Jirachi Wishmaker: Wishing Star of Seven Nights movie; I thought that yellow circle was there for DESIGN! 0_0

Rhyhorn and Skarmory's back sprites just looks weird compared to the front sprites.

WTF is wrong with Fearow's neck? It looked alright from the front, but geez...? An accident or what? Thankfully, I don't have to see such horrendous cervical crookedness (for the most part) in Generation 5.

Tauros has QUITE the humpback...

Giratina Sinnoh dragon trio...where is are your mouths? Oh... (the confusion is more evident in Sugimori and anime artwork, I suppose). Their roaring also helps. But with their mouths closed, you probably wouldn't even know where the mouths begin.) >_>

Admittedly, I also saw (and still see) the patterns on Cradily's head as its eyes, and it's true eyes as teeth. I likely wouldn't do so much as to fix it as to make reference of it in a Pokédex entry.

"The pattern on the head of this ancient Pok
    émon resembles a set of eyes, intimidating and confusing foes."

Would have brought a lot of much-needed clarity...

xD I'm glad that we have enlightened you.

Another for me was Diglett. Someone tried to point out that it's nose was actually Diglett's mouth and the shiny part of it was like a tooth.
    https://i56.tinypic.com/347ihip.png

It's a nose for sure, but I'm always reminded of that misconception. >_<

I saw that on the Can't Be Unseen website...I got so annoyed. >.<

There are no designs that I'd like to change as of now...let me rummage through the Generation 5 sprites...the only ones that come to mind regarding anatomical issues so far:

Uh...apparently, Emboar has a fire beard...I thought that was just flame decor... >_>
    And Beartic has an ice booger beard. -.- It doesn't even look like a decent beard...

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I was very confused about Metapod's design because I wasn't sure which way it was facing. When I first saw Woobat, I thought its nose was its eyes at first. I also got confused about Cradily's real eyes and its fake ones.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    Wait, those yellow things on Cradily AREN'T its eyes? GET OUT OF TOWN! I'm never going to look at Cradily in the same way again... it looks so evil now that I know that it's covering its true nature behind a camouflage of yellow circles. Evil, I tells ya. EVIL!

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Just for the record, I still didn't believe which side of Metapod was the front, so I was playing Pokemon Snap the other day and took a picture of the curved-in side of Metapod.

"A Pokemon doesn't like being photographed from behind..."

;^;

Fire Walker

The Wanderer
    Years
    - I thought Mawile's horn was in front of her face
    - I thought Gardevoir's face was the other way around
    - I thought Plusle and Minun where some form of Pichu
    - I thought Cradily's eyes were its teeth

NightOfRemorse

my anxieties have anxieties
    Years

I always thought Zubat's ears were its eyes. When I read its Dex entry in Diamond, I was so shocked. Even though I now know that those are ears and not eyes, I still view them as eyes. I cannot unsee it xD

Back