• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

CONGRATS! US HEALTHCARE REFORM PASSES!

Is the individual mandate fair? (Please state your reasoning in the thread)

• Yes

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • No

Votes: 14 51.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chillj

Not active anymore.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2022
    I'm opposed. No healthcare for senior citizens? Now that's stupid. Plus, 55% of America, MORE THAN HALF of the American population opposed! I know democrats want to fix everyone's problems when they're young so they don't have any problems in their old age, but it would be a tragic loss when your grandparent or great grandparent gets a disease and dies in their old age. The same thing happened to my grandmother. She fought cancer for a few years. But the day after the reform passed, she got sick and died. She was so sick that she had to try 8 times to say "Hi, Joseph." This is why I don't like this Healthcare Reform, or democrats who have no care in the world for old people. No offense to any democrats, or people that don't respect old people.

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
    Okay, can someone please explain to me, in plain simple English, what exactly is this bill doing and why half the country is overjoyed while the other half is dissapointed?

bmah

B.A.M.
    Years
    Okay, can someone please explain to me, in plain simple English, what exactly is this bill doing and why half the country is overjoyed while the other half is dissapointed?

bill summary: https://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20000846-503544.html

There really isn't one answer as to why a person is happy/disappointed. And it's hard to judge from this thread just from those who have posted here; some are clearly more vocal about it than others.

But it appears that most people understandably dislike the individual mandate in which everyone must purchase health insurance by 2014 or else face a nearly $700 fine. By 2014, ideally just about everyone would have health insurance. But some people here mistakenly deem this as unconstitutional. Well, that's a big part of what's going on in this thread at least.

I know there are indeed a lot of people happy for the change, but as I just said, the people opposing it are a lot more vocal about it, so you're just going to hear who's hollering louder. A big plus is that this bill is supposedly going to reduce deficit by $143 billion throughout a decade.

You can read more about it in the above link.

I would honestly say more about my own opinion, but after reading the thread, I know I'd be struct down because some would say that other countries with better health care experiences aren't comparable to the economical/populational circumstance of the US. I'd have to disagree on that, but overall I think people are a bit too hasty to judge. I'd say to give it some time, since many of the effects won't be imposed until a few years later. It's obvious though that some people just want instant gratification and are basing their predictions in a really short-term mindset.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    US Health Reform and Individual Mandate

Do you think it is fair an constitutional to require every American citizen to either purchase private health care or to get on Medicaid/Medicare if they qualify?

Sure there will be subsidies but there will be those who slip through the cracks. Those whose incomes just barely miss the cut-off marks to qualify for subsidies and cannot afford care and do not qualify for public care.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I'm opposed. No healthcare for senior citizens? Now that's stupid. Plus, 55% of America, MORE THAN HALF of the American population opposed! I know democrats want to fix everyone's problems when they're young so they don't have any problems in their old age, but it would be a tragic loss when your grandparent or great grandparent gets a disease and dies in their old age. The same thing happened to my grandmother. She fought cancer for a few years. But the day after the reform passed, she got sick and died. She was so sick that she had to try 8 times to say "Hi, Joseph." This is why I don't like this Healthcare Reform, or democrats who have no care in the world for old people. No offense to any democrats, or people that don't respect old people.
    I'm sorry to hear that. However, I also don't know where you're getting your information from. The elderly are not excluded from the bill.

Things don't just happen once it passed. It didn't get signed into law for a few days after. And even then, a lot of the benefits don't kick in for a while.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I'm not a Canadian. I know very little about the constitution. But, I believe you're required to purchase house and car insurance. So, what's the difference?

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
    healthcare summary a few posts above said:
    Individual Mandate:
    • In 2014, everyone must purchase health insurance or face a $695 annual fine. There are some exceptions for low-income people.

Uh, yeah, no. They can't force individuals into a private contract.

bmah

B.A.M.
    Years
    For those of you who'd want to know how the bill acts out over the next decade, refer to this Reuters article: https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1914020220100319

Or I'll just quote the relevant stuff here for the chronologically challenged:

WITHIN THE FIRST YEAR OF ENACTMENT

*Insurance companies will be barred from dropping people from coverage when they get sick. Lifetime coverage limits will be eliminated and annual limits are to be restricted.

*Insurers will be barred from excluding children for coverage because of pre-existing conditions.

*Young adults will be able to stay on their parents' health plans until the age of 26. Many health plans currently drop dependents from coverage when they turn 19 or finish college.

*Uninsured adults with a pre-existing conditions will be able to obtain health coverage through a new program that will expire once new insurance exchanges begin operating in 2014.

*A temporary reinsurance program is created to help companies maintain health coverage for early retirees between the ages of 55 and 64. This also expires in 2014.

*Medicare drug beneficiaries who fall into the "doughnut hole" coverage gap will get a $250 rebate. The bill eventually closes that gap which currently begins after $2,700 is spent on drugs. Coverage starts again after $6,154 is spent.

*A tax credit becomes available for some small businesses to help provide coverage for workers.

*A 10 percent tax on indoor tanning services that use ultraviolet lamps goes into effect on July 1.

WHAT HAPPENS IN 2011

*Medicare provides 10 percent bonus payments to primary care physicians and general surgeons.

*Medicare beneficiaries will be able to get a free annual wellness visit and personalized prevention plan service. New health plans will be required to cover preventive services with little or no cost to patients.

*A new program under the Medicaid plan for the poor goes into effect in October that allows states to offer home and community based care for the disabled that might otherwise require institutional care.

*Payments to insurers offering Medicare Advantage services are frozen at 2010 levels. These payments are to be gradually reduced to bring them more in line with traditional Medicare.

*Employers are required to disclose the value of health benefits on employees' W-2 tax forms.

*An annual fee is imposed on pharmaceutical companies according to market share. The fee does not apply to companies with sales of $5 million or less.

WHAT HAPPENS IN 2012

*Physician payment reforms are implemented in Medicare to enhance primary care services and encourage doctors to form "accountable care organizations" to improve quality and efficiency of care.

*An incentive program is established in Medicare for acute care hospitals to improve quality outcomes.

*The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, which oversees the government programs, begin tracking hospital readmission rates and puts in place financial incentives to reduce preventable readmissions.

WHAT HAPPENS IN 2013

*A national pilot program is established for Medicare on payment bundling to encourage doctors, hospitals and other care providers to better coordinate patient care.

*The threshold for claiming medical expenses on itemized tax returns is raised to 10 percent from 7.5 percent of income. The threshold remains at 7.5 percent for the elderly through 2016.

*The Medicare payroll tax is raised to 2.35 percent from 1.45 percent for individuals earning more than $200,000 and married couples with incomes over $250,000. The tax is imposed on some investment income for that income group.

*A 2.9 percent excise tax in imposed on the sale of medical devices. Anything generally purchased at the retail level by the public is excluded from the tax.

WHAT HAPPENS IN 2014

*State health insurance exchanges for small businesses and individuals open.

*Most people will be required to obtain health insurance coverage or pay a fine if they don't. Healthcare tax credits become available to help people with incomes up to 400 percent of poverty purchase coverage on the exchange.

*Health plans no longer can exclude people from coverage due to pre-existing conditions.

*Employers with 50 or more workers who do not offer coverage face a fine of $2,000 for each employee if any worker receives subsidized insurance on the exchange. The first 30 employees aren't counted for the fine.

*Health insurance companies begin paying a fee based on their market share.

WHAT HAPPENS IN 2015

*Medicare creates a physician payment program aimed at rewarding quality of care rather than volume of services.

WHAT HAPPENS IN 2018

*An excise tax on high cost employer-provided plans is imposed. The first $27,500 of a family plan and $10,200 for individual coverage is exempt from the tax. Higher levels are set for plans covering retirees and people in high risk professions.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013

Uh, yeah, no. They can't force individuals into a private contract.

Well, they aren't forcing anyone to buy it, they're just putting an annual fine on everyone who doesn't.

Last edited:

Reina

pandasaur!
    Years
    Not that I'm not interested in this form of healthcare (no, really, I am) and I have no idea if anyone else pointed this out already, but lets just move to the Pokemon form of healthcare- walk into a building, sit on a machine for 5 seconds, get healed from poisoning, frostbite, 3rd degree burns, and even paralysis! Come on, how is that not an amazing idea?

But in all seriousness, whether it's the best idea or not the best idea doesn't concern me too much (at the moment of course, I'm sure when I'm older it'll be a huge deal to me) but I'm just glad that some effort is being made to actually do something rather than nothing.

bmah

B.A.M.
    Years
    Agreed, perfection is unrealistic, but what's present (IMO the bill was better before the most recent modifications) is better than nothing. And people should just wait and see instead of losing their heads. That's mainly why I provided the link that contained chronological info of the bill - I'm sure there's a ton of misinformation about the nature of the bill still.

Years
    Yeah, that's why the individual mandate is there, in that, we need the healthier people to pay for the sicker people. That's how insurance "risk pool" works." (That's why putting everyone in a single system lowers cost. It spreads payment evenly to everyone)

I'm not so sure about these class action lawsuits. Federal Law always supersedes state law, and the "Necessary and Proper" Clause of the Constitution can be extended to "any officer thereoff" (AKA The Department of Health and Human Services) so...it's constituutional in that way. :|

Also:

US health bill sent back for new House vote

CONGRATS! US HEALTHCARE REFORM PASSES!

The bill has sharply divided politicians and voters alike

The landmark US healthcare reform bill must be sent back to the House of Representatives for approval after two issues were raised by Republicans.
    During an all-night voting session, two points relating to student loans were found to violate Senate procedure, said an aide to the Senate majority leader.
    They were described as "relatively minor provisions".
    They will have to be deleted, approved by the Senate and then sent back to the House for approval.
    The bill was passed in the House of Representatives by 219 votes to 212 on Sunday, with no Republican backing.
    It extends coverage to 32 million more Americans, and marks the biggest change to the US healthcare system in decades.
    As part of the package, on Sunday the House also approved a separate set of amendments.
    That package returned to the Senate for a vote, under a process known as budget reconciliation, where amendments have to relate to budgetary rather than policy issues.
    On Wednesday, Senate Republicans submitted 30 amendments - which were all rejected by Democrats during the marathon overnight voting session.

Democrats 'confident'
    However, Senate Parliamentarian Alan Frumin upheld two Republican challenges on points of order under budget reconciliation rules, Senate Democratic aides said.
    Jim Manley, spokesman for the Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, said: "After hours of trying to find a way to block this, they (Republicans) found two relatively minor provisions that are violations of Senate procedure which means we're going to have to send it back to the House."
    He added that he was "confident that the House will be able to deal with these and pass the legislation".
    Mr Manley said 16 lines will be deleted from the bill, but any change required another House vote.
    One of the changes was technical, and the other involved a provision to prevent reductions in the federal Pell Grant student aid programme, Associated Press reported.
    President Barack Obama signed the healthcare bill into law without delay after the House vote, as he did not need to wait for the Senate vote on the reconciliation bill.
    He is due to travel to Iowa on Thursday to promote the benefits of the health care reform.
    Some supporters of the bill had received threats and abusive messages, prompting them to call police and the FBI.
    Democratic House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer said more than 10 Democratic politicians had reported incidents since Sunday's vote, some of which he described as "very serious".
    Well MOST of the law is in place already. The last changes are just on financials and the accompanying Higher Education bill.

(I want mah increased Pell Grants XD)

Last edited:

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Well, they aren't forcing anyone to buy it, they're just putting an annual fine on everyone who doesn't.

That means they are forcing it. They fine you becuase you disobeyed the law and are now being charged with a minor crime called a infraction.

I'm not a Canadian. I know very little about the constitution. But, I believe you're required to purchase house and car insurance. So, what's the difference?

You are not required to purchase home insurance at all.
    You are required to purchase auto insurance only if you drive. You can easily avoid that mandate by biking and using public transportation. There is no way to avoid the health care mandate.

Years
    The bill that was passed is unconstitutional. There is no provision that allows the Federal Government to force someone to by a product or service as a condition of legal residence.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    What is worse is this will hurt small businesses. A business with as little as 50 employees will be required to provide coverage for their employees. Last time I checked 50 employees isn't a very large company at all.

Yes I know there will be tax credits and subsidies but these only cover so much and some business owners will fall between the cracks of eligibility for these just like individuals will.

Years
    You are required to purchase auto insurance only if you drive. You can easily avoid that mandate by biking and using public transportation. There is no way to avoid the health care mandate.
    Part of the taxes people pay go to emergency services like your local fire department. Just because you don't avail yourself of their services doesn't mean you can stop paying money that keeps them running. Same general idea with the mandate. The manner is different, but the result is more or less the same: everyone pays so that those who need it can get it.

And off topic, biking and public transportation aren't always an option depending on where you live.

Years
    The bill that was passed is unconstitutional. There is no provision that allows the Federal Government to force someone to by a product or service as a condition of legal residence.

If you can't stop the bill, just have another Bush v. Gore

In today's Washington Post, Randy Barnett outlines various theories for attacking health care reform if it is passed. If all else fails, he offers the remarkable suggestion that the Supreme Court might try what it did in an infamous case decided almost exactly ten years ago-- Bush v. Gore.

The most likely constitutional challenge will be that the individual mandate to purchase health insurance is unconstitutional because it forces people to buy insurance. Barnett omits to mention in his op-ed that the mandate is actually structured as a tax: if you don't buy insurance, you are assessed a tax for each month you fail to pay premiums. Barnett argues that individual mandate must be unconstitutional because the government can't require people to do anything; however, the government can make you pay taxes. It does so every year. Congress pretty clearly has the power to pass such a tax under its powers to tax and spend for the general welfare. This is an easy case for constitutionality.

Congress also has the power to require the individual mandate under the Commerce clause, despite Barnett's objection. That is because Congress can regulate economic activities that have a cumulative economic effect on interstate commerce, and as Justice Scalia pointed out in Gonzales v. Raich (a case, by the way, that Barnett himself litigated and lost in the Supreme Court), Congress can regulate even non-economic activities if it believes that this is necessary to make its regulation of interstate commerce effective. As I've explained elsewhere
    Critics charge that . . . people [who do not buy insurance] are not engaged in any activity that Congress might regulate; they are simply doing nothing. This is not the case. Such people actually self-insure through various means. When uninsured people get sick, they rely on their families for financial support, go to emergency rooms (often passing costs on to others), or purchase over-the-counter remedies. They substitute these activities for paying premiums to health insurance companies. All these activities are economic, and they have a cumulative effect on interstate commerce. Moreover, like people who substitute homegrown marijuana or wheat for purchased crops, the cumulative effect of uninsured people's behavior undermines Congress's regulation — in this case, its regulation of health insurance markets. Because Congress believes that national health care reform won't succeed unless these people are brought into national risk pools, it can regulate their activities in order to make its general regulation of health insurance effective.​
    A second theory for challenging health care reform is that special deals for Louisiana and Nebraska violate the General Welfare Clause because they only benefit particular states. These features will be gone if Congress passes a reconciliation measure, which the House will vote on today. If a reconciliation bill is not passed, Barnett points out, Congress would have to show why these special deals benefit the entire union.

Even if Congress couldn't come up with a reason, the proper remedy would be to hold these special deals unconstitutional, not to declare the entire health care reform act invalid. So here's the irony of Barnett's suggestion: If opponents successfully attack these special deals, they will actually strengthen health care reform because in effect they will have gotten the courts to perform the same function as the reconciliation measure.

A third possibility is that states will pass laws exempting their citizens from the individual mandate. Barnett correctly sees that this strategy is itself unconstitutional under the Supremacy Clause.

A fourth strategy is a constitutional amendment. Once health care reform is passed, however, it is unlikely that the public will support an constitutional amendment eliminating it. Such an amendment would require approval by three fourths of the states and two thirds of both houses of Congress. But as Barnett suggests, if health care reform ever becomes that unpopular, Congress will simply repeal the legislation first.

A fifth strategy is to attack the House rule for passing the bill. But as Barnett points out, the House decided yesterday not to use "deem and pass" and so this objection is now irrelevant. (It would not have succeeded in the courts in any case, because of the enrolled bill rule).

Barnett's final suggestion is that the Supreme Court might simply decide that the Democrats didn't play fair and strike down health care reform in the same way that it decided that the Democrats didn't deserve the presidency in Bush v. Gore.

I assume that Barnett actually isn't advocating it. Bush v. Gore was widely derided as a travesty of legal reasoning, and the Supreme Court has avoided citing it or mentioning it in its opinions since. Whether or not the individual Justices viewed their actions this way at the time, many people saw Bush v. Gore as five conservative Justices making implausible legal arguments to benefit the interests of a particular political party which they happened to favor. And not to put too fine a point on it, Bush v. Gore helped smooth the way to the Bush Presidency, the dissipation of the federal budget surplus, the war in Iraq, presidentially approved torture, the cratering of the economy, and enormous budget deficits through reckless overspending by the Bush Administration. Bush v. Gore was, in hindsight, not only deeply flawed judicial reasoning, but led to a disaster for the country. Bush v. Gore is an example of what the Supreme Court and federal judges shouldn't do.

If opponents of the bill are reduced to wishing for a second Bush v. Gore, they, and not their opponents, have truly given up believing in American democracy.

UPDATE: In an e-mail to me, Barnett confirms that his reference to Bush v. Gore "was simply about predicting 5 votes." He writes: "If the conservative justices are as lawless as accused, the bill's supporters should worry. But if not, not. Which is it?"

Then again:

So George Washington was a socialist, too!
    If the individual mandate is unconstitutional, how could our first president require every citizen to buy a gun?

Oh well, that pretty much lays out most of the theories on unconstitutionality of the bill out the window.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    And off topic, biking and public transportation aren't always an option depending on where you live.

Well, they can't force you not to walk.

Now, don't get me wrong. I agree with 90 percent of this bill. I do believe that people should be entitled to insurance, even if they have pre-existing conditions, and I do believe that children should always be allowed to be covered. But I also believe that there are flaws in this.

Here's the thing. This is the first time in US History that the government can legally force you to buy a product that is unrelated to direct taxes or an imminent threat, against the will of the American people (a majority of people were against this, according to many polls done by both the right and left; both sides got similar results). Not only are they going to require you to buy insurance, but they have specifically stated that you have to be covered to an extent that satisfies the IRS. So now, the IRS can tell you to buy insurance, and even make you buy whatever policy they want. Say you have Allstate or one of those other insurances. Maybe it isn't enough for the IRS. Now all of a sudden, they're telling you that you have to buy a different policy, or maybe even MULTIPLE policies. They will have the authority to make you do this, and you WILL have to do this. And those that don't, will be slapped with a fine. Anyone who doesn't have insurance is going to have to pay by the year. And if you don't, your wages will be garnished. The government should not be allowed to force you to do this. To be allowed to force you into this is nothing more than Socialism. It's unconstitutional, and I think it's high time for people to wake up.

If this remains - and it probably will - then what's to stop the government from passing a bill forcing you to buy cars from specific companies, or forcing you to go with DSL instead of Cable, or forcing you to go with AT&T? This is happening right now.

And I'm not even going to talk about College tuitions.

So George Washington was a socialist, too!
    If the individual mandate is unconstitutional, how could our first president require every citizen to buy a gun?

Oh well, that pretty much lays out most of the theories on unconstitutionality of the bill out the window.
    [/LEFT]
    [/CENTER]

I just think it's hilarious how people try to rationalize this with things that happened 200+ years ago. I can do that too, you know. Abraham Lincoln was a Republican.

First off, I suggest you do a little research as to the validity of that claim, and look at the bigger picture of what was going on at the time. George Washington did not require every citizen to have a gun because he felt that the government would make more money off it. He required it because the country was at war with Britain at the time and most people living in the Colonies already owned firearms anyway for hunting. And even if they didn't, alot of them were provided for free and people often made their own firearms and even their own BULLETS. You can't make your own insurance. Not to mention, having guns didn't exactly bother anyone. A one-time payment of a few dollars for something that would protect you on a regular basis for your entire life back then is alot better than a 200 dollar a month payment for something that you might not ever use. I love all the misinformation that the media is feeding the public. It really just goes to show how far downhill this country's going.

Anyway, I've already explained on my site why this is unconstitutional, and what is going to be happening in the future. You can take it as you will. But this situation won't magically go away just because some words are changed or because a few historical points are misconstrued to give someone a fleeting debate advantage. And this is the tip of the iceberg. It only gets worse from here. Alot worse.

Last edited:

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    =So George Washington was a socialist, too!

Also, how does saying that somebody else did it justify someone doing it this time?

The above sentence is applicable in too many situations to count.

Back