• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[PKMN FULL] Cornered On The Market! [T](OOC)

Would you like a Pokemon Sun and Moon starter as a guest customer?

• Total voters

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    i guess i'm not very polite

I'm gonna get in touch with Grelzar again. Rina and Samuel, best friends forever.

I've never tried IM roleplaying. Purely this sort of organized, over-a-forum, OOC-and-IC-thread type of thing.

I'd say keep it Irene to avoid confusion. Besides, Odette is overrated.

Xtrashy

Shy - Like really shy, super shy, like, extra shy.
    Years
    To everyone, as I was pretty sick yesterday, writing was a drag, but something will be up today. Elwood decided to describe parts of Amaryllis' Manager's Office, which is a no-no. I know he'll change it once I put up the authentic thing. How dare he call that room bland.

Well if he called it extravagant Spora would complain that Amaryllis spends too much money on her office and could be paying them more, and if it was boring she'd complain her boss really does have no sense of decor. Either way Spora has things to complain about in her ever expansive inner monologue.

Jauntier

Where was your antennas again?
    Years
    LOL Spora needs a diary.

I want that now.

I'm campaigning for it.

Cornered's next fanfiction: Spora's Diary.

It will usurp Gabriel's The Thug Life and The Druag Supplement That Never Was (Read).

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
    Years
    To everyone, as I was pretty sick yesterday, writing was a drag, but something will be up today. Elwood decided to describe parts of Amaryllis' Manager's Office, which is a no-no. I know he'll change it once I put up the authentic thing. How dare he call that room bland.

Cicaro finds it dull because there is no ivory throne made of orphan bones and Jaunt be like "that's too specific of a description OMG you're impeding on my creativity."

smh​

Ech

Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2018
    In regards to something else, I remember with State Your Business, Manami the Milotic mentioned a Swanna named Irene. Originally I used that name because it means "peace" but Irene herself is quick to ire, but I'm also thinking about renaming her to be Odette, the "good swan" princess of the famous Swan Lake ballet. This is a trivial thing, but what do you guys think?

Keep Irene for that dramatic irony. Irene also has Ire in it, making it relevant.

Swans are not serene at all, as everyone foolishly believes. Everybody is so scared of tiny bugs and think they're capable of leaving absolute destruction in their wake, but those hellish swans will rip out your entrails if you so as much look at them funny. Like, they are not nice. I don't like them.

how the heck do you beautify a mushroom? Like, i can't draw a parasect doing much besides just be a zombie; i cannot imagine you are able to spruce one up with accessories and whatnot. On that note, it is very sad that the best person for this task goes straight to the tacky hipster of the group, because everyone else is either too incompetent for the job or too naked to care about fashion.

Also, is it just me or are the servers for this place keep crashing rather haphazardly? I ended up having to rewrite my brief app for Jaunt numerous times and just realized my font wasn't even consistent. And because of that I still wasn't able to work on a post for IIS, so I just went out to get irresponsibly drunk. But now I have a hangover.

Junier

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    With the right eye and well-enough taste, anyone can be made into a covergirl.

Yeesh, looks like the Pikachu in business slacks let up again and let the servers crash. Again.

But Ech, alcohol is bad for you. At least that's what my benevolent tutors taught me in eight grade.

Speaking of which, in what hour will our characters go out to drink in the roleplay, Jauntelanie?

OH SHIT, I NEED TO READ THOSE "FANFICS" let me go ahead and dooo thaaat

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
    Years
    You don't know what's in her room. You are IMPEDING me.

If you go out of your way to put in a sparkling fountain or bony throne I will gladly alter my post.

how the heck do you beautify a mushroom? Like, i can't draw a parasect doing much besides just be a zombie; i cannot imagine you are able to spruce one up with accessories and whatnot. On that note, it is very sad that the best person for this task goes straight to the tacky hipster of the group, because everyone else is either too incompetent for the job or too naked to care about fashion.

Uh Cicaro has exquisite taste excuse you

He's just an anti-artist.

Also, is it just me or are the servers for this place keep crashing rather haphazardly? I ended up having to rewrite my brief app for Jaunt numerous times and just realized my font wasn't even consistent. And because of that I still wasn't able to work on a post for IIS, so I just went out to get irresponsibly drunk. But now I have a hangover.

You know, you could also work in your app in Microsoft Word or something. Or copy your post before hitting preview js​

Jauntier

Years
    Has anyone else noticed that fonts aren't showing up all the way through the body of a post?

It's not being correctly parsed and it's PC's fault somewhere. I now have to wrap every paragraph in a font to keep it consistent.

Even the poll in this thread is messed up.

Ech

Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2018
    With the right eye and well-enough taste, anyone can be made into a covergirl.

Well, I suppose. I mean, I did go on a tangent saying how bugs are adorable and defending their reputation like some budding social justice warrior fighting for insect rights. It seems a bit hypocritical of me to say that it is entirely impossible to make Spora beautiful.

It's just, like, from a more visual standpoint, I have not seen any Parasect art that depicts them as such. I mean, how on Earth do you depict a Parasect in that manner? Nothing about their physiology is appealing enough to accentuate their appearance and it's very difficult to add anything onto them without over-encumbering their awkward form, unless of course, they get anthro'd or something.

The best I could come up with is this.

Spoiler:

You know, you could also work in your app in Microsoft Word or something. Or copy your post before hitting preview js​

Hey now, I may be a bit of a dumb dumb, but even I'm careful enough to save my work via PMs to myself and whatnot. I just wasn't expecting the serves to crash randomly and frequently, and I don't constantly copy my work every time I add a word, especially if I expect to finish my post on one go.

Jauntier said:
    Has anyone else noticed that fonts aren't showing up all the way through the body of a post? It's not being correctly parsed and it's PC's fault somewhere. I now have to wrap every paragraph in a font to keep it consistent.
    Even the poll in this thread is messed up.

I think I've been having this problem for some time now, though I normally don't change my font.

Junier

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    The Poll That Never Dies.

What are you talking about my perfectly legible font is working swimmingly as per usual

DID SOMEONE SAY ANTHRO!?
    Spoiler:
    ]

Ech, your reply is an unholy mixture of racism and doubt for the superior corner store that I will fortunately choose to turn a blind eye to.

BUT THAT PICTURE IS SO CUTE THAT I INSTANTLY FORGIVE YOU

No Sylveon were harmed in the process of this makeover. unfortunately

And as a certain syrup bottle mascot taught me: "Ctrl + A and Ctrl + C will save your miserable existence."​

Orx of Twinleaf

Branch into Psyche
    Years
    LOL Spora needs a diary.

It will usurp Gabriel's The Thug Life and The Druag Supplement That Never Was (Read).

My tears, my tears are all I've drank for years!
    and my sobbing cries continue~
    Through the years, through all my teeeears~
    cri

Ech said:
    how the heck do you beautify a mushroom? Like, i can't draw a parasect doing much besides just be a zombie; i cannot imagine you are able to spruce one up with accessories and whatnot.

I've always drawn the Parasect I use as wearing a full-body short dress on her mushroom.
    I have ... different fashion ideals.
    Luckily I have no access to a Pad to draw these things in a digital form so I have effectively gotten out of ever trying.

LOL Spora needs a diary.

I will add: Gabriel and Druag are gonna be JP bros 4 lyfe don't need yo approval.
    >inb4 the kill each other by noon

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
    Years
    The best I could come up with is this.

I HOPE MARY-CHAN WILL NOTICE ME

tbh I low-key think we should make this the IC reality.

Hey now, I may be a bit of a dumb dumb,

You misspelled trash.

don't be offended im just projecting on you since I'm the real garbage here

but even I'm careful enough to save my work via PMs to myself and whatnot. I just wasn't expecting the serves to crash randomly and frequently, and I don't constantly copy my work every time I add a word, especially if I expect to finish my post on one go.

Usually the back button works just fine in that situation, though? When PC fucks up on me that's usually my saving grace, since the text box will have your recent changes in it.​

Last edited:

Ech

Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2018
    DID SOMEONE SAY ANTHRO!?

Cornered On The Market! [T](OOC)

I've always drawn the Parasect I use as wearing a full-body short dress on her mushroom.
    I have ... different fashion ideals.
    Luckily I have no access to a Pad to draw these things in a digital form so I have effectively gotten out of ever trying.

I feel like that's as impractical as someone trying to wear a fedora as hot pants. Like, I really want to see you put up this image you envisioned. Maybe I'll get a new fetish out of it.

Usually the back button works just fine in that situation, though? When PC fucks up on me that's usually my saving grace, since the text box will have your recent changes in it.​

Whenever the server crashes and it gives me that error, it usually takes a while until the forum comes back on. Sometimes I just get impatient and shut my computer off to do other things. On that note, I tried to reply earlier, but the servers crashed again! PC is falling apart.

In terms of waifu-Spora being canon for the IC, that depends on Xtrashy's approval, as well as Chic's ability to viciously hunt down some Sylveon for their ribbons.

All the Eeveelutions are lame and overrated. (inb4 butthurt fans)

Except Flareon. Because just the fact that it took decades before it finally got Flare Blitz only for it to still suck anyway is tragically hilarious. It's almost as bad as the redundancy behind Delibird's hidden ability, or Rotom-F being a flying type with Levitate.

Never change, Troll Freak.

Xtrashy

Years
    It's just, like, from a more visual standpoint, I have not seen any Parasect art that depicts them as such. I mean, how on Earth do you depict a Parasect in that manner? Nothing about their physiology is appealing enough to accentuate their appearance and it's very difficult to add anything onto them without over-encumbering their awkward form, unless of course, they get anthro'd or something.

I dunno, I think maybe you're all mistaking beauty for cuteness. It's like she's a hermit crab and her shell is a mushroom.

Which I would actually find interesting if it could be painted, though that won't work in Spora's specific case.

Xtrashy

Years
    In terms of waifu-Spora being canon for the IC, that depends on Xtrashy's approval, as well as Chic's ability to viciously hunt down some Sylveon for their ribbons.

All the Eeveelutions are lame and overrated. (inb4 butthurt fans)

Except Flareon. Because just the fact that it took decades before it finally got Flare Blitz only for it to still suck anyway is tragically hilarious. It's almost as bad as the redundancy behind Delibird's hidden ability, or Rotom-F being a flying type with Levitate.

Never change, Troll Freak.

Eh, I wouldn't mind it, though make up wouldn't work at all, thanks to Spora's Dry Skin, anything with moisture in it that touches her skin instantly dries up and leaves unsightly flaked material behind.

Also Flareon would be far more decent if Bite wasn't it's best dark type coverage move, serious Leafeon gets knock off, why can't Flareon have it.

Also in terms of Spora being a zombie, I've decided to go with she retains her mental facilities from being a Paras and is in fact not a zombie.

Cause if she was a zombie literally her only reason to exist would be to mate so the mushroom could reproduce.

Last edited:

Ech

Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2018
    Beauty and cute can be synonymous at times, since both terms are used to verify the subject's general attractiveness. In this current case, beautifying Spora is more of a matter of giving her appearance some sort of eye-catching appeal. Whether it makes people go "d'aaawww" or "Oh, my dearest! I want to make tender love to your fungus!" isn't too relevant, so as long as she invokes positive reception from others and has an easy time standing out. At least, that's how I see it.

Flareon would be better if it actually had more physical moves. Seriously, the only physical moves that aren't normal-type are Superpower, Bite, Dig (lol) and Iron Tail. Also, apparently every Eeveelution that isn't Jolteon has to be as slow as Muk.

I read a fan written analysis regarding Paras and Parasect. Supposedly the fungal infection and the Paras have something is closer to symbiotic relationship rather than actual parasitism. The fungus cannot infect or spread to other Pokemon, even species that are believed to be related to the Paras. On the other hand, Paras relies on its spores to ward off predators and the fungus actively provides its host with protection, in exchange for the Paras doing... literally everything else. Essentially, neither cannot live without the other and I'm convinced they're pretty much a single entity because of this.

Granted, the fungus lacks sentience and acts purely on its primal urges to feed on tree roots, so they are still technically a zombie in that sense. But this analysis did speculate that it was possible to suppress the infection with antidotes and I assume this would also prevent the fungus from completely overriding the Paras' nervous system, allowing the bug to keep its individual personality intact rather than devolve into a husk upon its evolution. So, Spora not being a zombie isn't far-fetched at all.

But honestly, with all that taken into account, I kind of wonder if Spora has her own internal battles against the fungus' presence which explains her socially withdrawn nature. Of course, if Spora went down this route, I feel like Cornered would have taken a much darker turn.

Jauntier

Years
    Look at that Errol post! Looks like he's gonna be in for making someone look special! And will Gabriel and Druag make a connection despite Druag hating his guts already before lapsing into a hellish flashback? Hmm...

Meanwhile, Spora's the OOC center of attention, doing what she does best: generating murmurs and speculative glances.

I spoke with Ech earlier about the prospect of having that Kirlia join as a character! I think you all will like what we've agreed upon. Ech, if I missed something in your last message that you wanted confirmation for, do tell me here, and I'll address it.

I wrote up a big damned post and this site suddenly can't format it for shit. I have to revise it now so that everything looks the way it's supposed to in Preview. It's a horrid mess.

It's also late for me, so I'm going to snooze. First thing after work tomorrow will be the goods. If it feels like there was a two-day delay in all of this, I apologize sincerely. Daddy Casty and Mother Mary love all their little children, mind you~

Xtrashy

Years
    Flareon would be better if it actually had more physical moves. Seriously, the only physical moves that aren't normal-type are Superpower, Bite, Dig (lol) and Iron Tail. Also, apparently every Eeveelution that isn't Jolteon has to be as slow as Muk.

I read a fan written analysis regarding Paras and Parasect. Supposedly the fungal infection and the Paras have something is closer to symbiotic relationship rather than actual parasitism. The fungus cannot infect or spread to other Pokemon, even species that are believed to be related to the Paras. On the other hand, Paras relies on its spores to ward off predators and the fungus actively provides its host with protection, in exchange for the Paras doing... literally everything else. Essentially, neither cannot live without the other and I'm convinced they're pretty much a single entity because of this.

Granted, the fungus lacks sentience and acts purely on its primal urges to feed on tree roots, so they are still technically a zombie in that sense. But this analysis did speculate that it was possible to suppress the infection with antidotes and I assume this would also prevent the fungus from completely overriding the Paras' nervous system, allowing the bug to keep its individual personality intact rather than devolve into a husk upon its evolution. So, Spora not being a zombie isn't far-fetched at all.

But honestly, with all that taken into account, I kind of wonder if Spora has her own internal battles against the fungus' presence which explains her socially withdrawn nature. Of course, if Spora went down this route, I feel like Cornered would have taken a much darker turn.

On the topic of Flareon, since it has Guts as a hidden ability you throw a toxic orb on it and give it Facade since it can learn that, give it flare blitz for damage, flame charge so it can get it's speed up, and then superpower. Not the best but I think it works pretty well, at least with flareons current move pool.

On the topic of the parasite being symbiotic, that's entirely bull. You might think the mushroom is offering protection, but lets think about this in actual game terms. It's giving a bug type pokemon the grass type. Grass which is tied for the type with the most weaknesses as Rock, with in combination with Dry Skin makes Paras and Parasect the only pokemon in existence to be able to have a 5x weakness to fire.

Now let's take that into the idea of stats. Take that mushroom of Parasect's back and we'd likely see a reduction to both physical and special defense, but see an increase to health, attack, and speed, since the mushroom isn't stealing it's nutrients and weighing it down. The other thing is that in most dex entries, aside from stating the mushroom controls it, it otherwise states Parasect burrows underground to drain the nutrients from tree's, which leads me to believe Parasect could be a Bug/Ground type if it wasn't for the mushroom.

Now the only saving grace Parasect has in a competitive sense is that it's got Spore. Which the mushroom provides, unfortunately every other pokemon that has Spore, (namely Breloom) is better at using it, so the one thing the mushroom gives Parasect that makes it useful is also hindered by said mushroom.

So in short the Mushroom gives it a typing that makes it weak to more types of attacks as well as possibly keeping it from a different much better type. Since it drains parasect it likely reduces the Health, Attack, and Speed stats, in exchange for defense stats that don't matter with the added weaknesses. And a plethora of grass moves it really doesn't take advantage of, and the ones it does take advantage of, Spore, are rendered moot, and Seed Bomb, the only physical grass attack Parasect gets while being a pokemon with an abysmal Special Attack.

So yeah, I don't think the mushroom is symbiotic.

Orx of Twinleaf

Branch into Psyche
    Years
    Well, not to conflict you on what are essentially grounds of discussion of a caliber that I can get rather carried away in, but I would have to disagree with you, Ms. Xtrashy. You make a slew of valid points, but at the same time there are plenty of other things that can come into play here.

From a purely competitive solo standpoint, I will agree that the mushroom is hurting more than it helps, but there are other roles in a Pokemon line-up than just damage output, and other situations besides one-on-one fisticuffs.

In nature, a Parasect is plenty big enough to be able to prey on lesser Grass Pokemon, though it probably doesn't, so the mushroom's spore-spreading potential in predation is a nonissue. However, as a Bug and a Grass Pokemon Parasect could well realistically be a target for a wide array of Pokemon like birds or other Bugs, in which cases the mushroom's irritant contact properties implied via Effect Spore could aid it in deterring potential predators.

Of course, that's all unadulterated speculation. More concretely, there are other situations besides the standard Single Battle punch-out style of things. While Parasects do have an okay Attack that one might feel dirty about ignoring, they also have a commendable Defense and a handful of supportive Moves most likely owed to the mushroom.

For example, I personally prefer to indulge in untiered Triple Battles with the fellas, and have a physical wall Parasect. Is it the best? Far from it. Is it largely nulled by half of those Fire-loving dorks leading with a Heat Wave Mega Charizard Y in the middle all the time? Pretty much. But you know when I'm not staring down the barrel of Fire spread Moves, Toadette does her job well. In the triples she uses Rage Powder to cover my flanks who get to set up safely. She's physically bulky with a Rocky Helmet and Effect Spore, so again unless there's a special Fire douche on the other side of the field she's around for a while. After that she has Spore and Leech Seed for crippling and DoT/sustain and X-Scissor just so she isn't total Taunt bait. To be perfectly honest she just spams Rage Powder unless there's a ripe Spore target or something particularly off-the-wall happens. And you know since I started bringing things like a Spinda and a non-Mega-non-attacking Lopunny to these things, off-the-wall happens rather often.

Well I got off on a tangent. What were we talking about? Oh, right. Parasects. I will say that even though there are Pokemon who do what Parasect does better, those Pokemon generally also have better things to do. Well, give or take. Except Amoonguss. That really is just the better Rage Powder mon. But mainstream is anathemic to me. In any case, I'd say the mushroom's much more commensalistic than anything else. Spora just seems sorta meh about it and it gets the benefit of, like, you know. Existing. So yeah. Commensalist. Happy compromise.

Last edited:
    Back