• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Critique my first team (Sun Dance)

Years
    • Seen May 30, 2015
    Hey Everyone this is my first post and my first competitive team. I am trying to get into it before the next games come out so i am very open to suggestions. Thank you ( I haven't finished breeding all the pokemon thats why i haven't put all the IVs up.) And sorry i don't know how to make it look all fancy and a little too lazy to try.

1.Pokemon:Charizard
    IV Spread: 31/31/31/x/31/31
    Item:Charizardite X
    Nature:Jolly
    Ability:Tough Claws
    Moves:Dragon Dance
    dragon claw
    Flare Blitz
    Roost

Pokemon: Umbreon
    IV Spread: 31/31/31/31/31/x
    Item: Left Overs
    Nature: Careful
    Ability: Synchronize
    Moves: Curse
    payback
    moonlight
    sunny day

3. Pokemon: Ninetails
    Item: heat rock
    Nature: Timid
    Ability: Drought
    Moves: Substitute
    heatwave
    Solar beam
    nasty plot/will-o-wisp?

4.Pokemon: Gliscor
    Item: Toxic orb
    Nature: Impish
    Ability: Poison heal
    Moves: Stealth rock
    Toxic
    earthquake
    taunt / u turn?

5. Pokemon: Venusauar
    Item: Life orb
    Nature:Modest
    Ability: Chlorophyll
    Moves:sludge bomb
    giga drain
    leech seed/solarbeam?
    growth

6. Pokemon: Scizor
    IV Spread 31/31/31/x/31/31
    Item: Focus Sash
    Nature: Adament
    Ability: Technician
    Moves: Bullet punch
    swords dance
    x-sissor
    u-turn

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Mandibuzz does the better defensive Dark Pokemon role better than Umbreon, IMO, because of its better overall bulk. It also packs more useful utility moves. It's also easier to get Foul Play on it (Mandibuzz learns it as an egg move; Foul Play Umbreon has to be transferred from B2/W2):
    -Foul Play
    -Roost
    -Whirlwind/Taunt
    -Defog/Toxic/Knock Off
    Nature: Bold/Impish
    EVs: 248 HP/136 Def/108 SDef/16 Spe
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Overcoat

Ninetales needs as much survivability as it can get, either by running RestTalk, or using Pain Split in conduction with Substitute. If you want to be gutsy, you could use Nasty Plot, but you cut into its survivability:
    -Rest
    -Sleep Talk
    -Flamethrower
    -Will-o-Wisp/Toxic
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 248 HP/140 SDef/120 Spe
    Item: Heat Rock

or
    -Substitute
    -Pain Split/Calm Mind
    -Flamethrower
    -Will-o-Wisp/Toxic/Roar
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe

or
    -Nasty Plot
    -Fire Blast
    -Solar Beam
    -Hidden Power (Ground)

Gliscor can go physically defensive or specially defensive:
    -Earthquake
    -Acrobatics
    -Taunt/Toxic/Fling/Stealth Rock
    -Roost
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 252 HP/56 Def/200 Spe
    Item: Toxic Orb
    Ability: Poison Heal

or
    -Earthquake/Knock Off
    -Toxic/Knock Off/Stealth Rock
    -Taunt/Stealth Rock
    -Roost
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 252 HP/184 SDef/72 Spe
    Item: Toxic Orb
    Ability: Poison Heal

There's no reason for Venusaur to use Solar Beam and Giga Drain at once:
    -Growth/Sunny Day
    -Giga Drain
    -Sludge Bomb/Sleep Powder
    -Hidden Power (Fire)
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 72 HP/4 Def/252 SAtk/180 Spe
    Item: Life Orb
    Ability: Chlorophyll

Scizor is too bulky for Focus Sash. It needs more immediate power in Choice Band:
    -U-turn
    -Bullet Punch
    -Superpower/Brick Break
    -Pursuit/Knock Off
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 SDef
    Item: Choice Band

Years
    • Seen May 30, 2015
    Thanks that was some of the best advice I've gotten (i've posted this on other forums). and i'm sorry but i hate mandibuzz, lol the way it looks.. and idk its just not my pokemon.. since i am pretty set on running umbreon do you think you could help me make the best out of it? i bred it with curse and a careful nature with max ivs in all but speed.. i felt on a sun team umbreon's moonlight would be a great asset.

I probably will be taking your nine tails advice with this set
    -Substitute
    -Pain Split/Calm Mind
    -Flamethrower
    -Will-o-Wisp/Toxic/Roar

I really don't want to lock my scizor into any moves :/

venusaur ... do i really have to go through the pain of breeding HP fire?? could i just run growth, giga drain, sunny day, sleep powder . or perhaps stun spore

My Gliscor . acrobatics? is that incase someone uses knockoff on me?.. i won't breed for defog which is why i had taunt.. so I'm thinking roost, acrobatics, earthquake, taunt.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Thanks that was some of the best advice I've gotten (i've posted this on other forums). and i'm sorry but i hate mandibuzz, lol the way it looks.. and idk its just not my pokemon.. since i am pretty set on running umbreon do you think you could help me make the best out of it? i bred it with curse and a careful nature with max ivs in all but speed.. i felt on a sun team umbreon's moonlight would be a great asset.

I probably will be taking your nine tails advice with this set
    -Substitute
    -Pain Split/Calm Mind
    -Flamethrower
    -Will-o-Wisp/Toxic/Roar

I really don't want to lock my scizor into any moves :/

venusaur ... do i really have to go through the pain of breeding HP fire?? could i just run growth, giga drain, sunny day, sleep powder . or perhaps stun spore

My Gliscor . acrobatics? is that incase someone uses knockoff on me?.. i won't breed for defog which is why i had taunt.. so I'm thinking roost, acrobatics, earthquake, taunt.

Sun teams need Rapid Spin or Defog support to function. Mandibuzz is one of those Defoggers and in competitive play, people use Pokemon solely for their usefulness rather than their looks. That being said, Umbreon lacks that kind of support, which is why it has to go. If you don't want to use Mandibuzz, you can use something like Tentacruel or STarmie instead:

Tentacruel:
    -Scald
    -Acid Spray
    -Sludge Bomb/Knock Off
    -Rapid Spin
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/224 Def/32 Spe
    Item: Black Sludge
    Ability: Liquid Ooze

Starmie:
    -Hydro Pump
    -Psyshock/Thunderbolt
    -Ice Beam
    -Rapid Spin
    Item: Life Orb/Leftovers
    Ability: Natural Cure

or
    -Scald
    -Reflect Type
    -Rapid Spin
    -Recover
    EVs: 248 HP/20 Def/16 SDef/224 Spe

If you don't want to use HP Fire, Earthquake is a viable option with a Rash nature.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    If HP Fire is too much of a pain in the ass to breed for (which it is), you could just run Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb, Earthquake, and Sleep Powder/Growth.

I don't really see the point in running Acrobatics on Gliscor in the current meta. Gliscor makes for a great wall, and while it does have good options for attacks, it doesn't need most of them to succeed.

If you're not into Choice Band Scizor, you could run this set:

-Scizor w/Leftovers
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 248 HP, 44 Attack, 212 Sp.Defense
    Moves: Bullet Punch, Swords Dance, Roost, X-Scissor

Mega Scizor does it better because better stats, but regular Scizor was perfectly capable of doing this set itself before Gen 6.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 30, 2015
    I like having the synchronize ability on my umbreon also. i feel a weak point of my team and most teams is status. and umbreon counters this pretty well. Synergy is my goal here...and would a curse umbreon be considered a special wall or physical wall if i invest ev's in sp def..how should i structure my gliscor based on this.. umbreon is also my alternative way of getting the sun up as i am not planning on running sunny day on venusaur and i could run defog on my scizor if need be.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I like having the synchronize ability on my umbreon also. i feel a weak point of my team and most teams is status. and umbreon counters this pretty well. Synergy is my goal here...and would a curse umbreon be considered a special wall or physical wall if i invest ev's in sp def..how should i structure my gliscor based on this.. umbreon is also my alternative way of getting the sun up as i am not planning on running sunny day on venusaur and i could run defog on my scizor if need be.

I wouldn't use Curse Umbreon if I were you. It takes too much time and support to set up. If you're so afraid of status, why not use a Heal Bell or Aromatherapy user? A better special wall to turn to is Blissey:
    -Seismic Toss/Flamethrower
    -Heal Bell/Aromatherapy
    -Soft-Boiled
    -Thunder Wave/Toxic
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Def/252 SDef

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    Umbreon is actually underated, its one of the better special walls imo. More overall bulk than Sylveon, less ****** than Chansey and support options out the wazoo, it also passes big wishes and you cant set up on it really with phys sweepers thanks to Foul Play. It also beats misc retarded sets like stall breaker Gengar. That being said, only use it on stall teams which is where is shines. On offensive minded teams like this it doesnt.

Last edited:
    Back