• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Crushed...

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
Years
  • This game, as good as it is, ruined the point of Tyranitar. In previous games, you had to work hard to get Tyranitar, but now you can catch it. This doesn't seem right... You should only be able to get this, one of the best pokes, by effort.

Years
  • 1. Making a shaky patch of grass show up.
    2. Tyranitar actually being in that shaky patch of grass.
    3. Having to catch that powerful Pokemon with its respectable 45 catch rate.

Still sounds like effort to me. Just a different brand.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I agree completely with the above. I also think it's fun that I can actually battle one, as the only opponent ever to have one (if memory serves me correctly) is Blue (rival in RBYFrLg, Gym Leader No.16 in GSCHgSs).

Add it to thee sheer unlikeliness of seeing one in the first place meaning nobody knows where to find it and...it's a combination of a lot of hard work and luck to get one, still.

Years
    • Seen Aug 23, 2013
    I agree that finding a wild tyranitar is an effort in it's own. I've been wanting to battle a wild tyranitar since the first time I laid eyes on it in G2.

In my opinion, trying to actually find a wild tyranitar in B/W is way harder than training it from a larvitar/pupitar since pupitar is a little on the more common side. Considering the grass shake and the 5% chance of tyranitar appearing and it's catch rate, that's a lot of effort to put compared to training it. Same could be said for Metagross

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • It could be worse... Lv3 Tyranitar could be running rampant on Route 1.

At least the areas where they're found host Pokemon at or above the level when it would normally evolve. And it's still not easily found... you do have to put in quite a bit of time to hunt one down.

I'm more surprised you can catch Crobat, which requires high Friendship, to evolve. How did the ones in the wild evolve? Friendship with the other Pokemon on the route?

darr123

Expert trainer
    Years
  • Yay for tyranitar, its my fav pokemon.

Okay serious now, it still takes alot of effort to catch one, I've had my lvl 100 one since pokemon red on the GBA so I hav'nt had to worry about one and agreeing with what was said above, crobat in the wild is worse.

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • I diligently evolved my sweet pie Larvitar :L mostly for the dex info of his pre-evos. Tyranitar did provide some chunky EXP for my team though. ;)

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    It could be worse... Lv3 Tyranitar could be running rampant on Route 1.

At least the areas where they're found host Pokemon at or above the level when it would normally evolve. And it's still not easily found... you do have to put in quite a bit of time to hunt one down.

I'm more surprised you can catch Crobat, which requires high Friendship, to evolve. How did the ones in the wild evolve? Friendship with the other Pokemon on the route?

Haha, I'd put that down to Team Plasma. They strike me as actually being quite nice to their pokémon, but then again they're always weak (although one has a lv.60+ Krookodile). So I'd say they either stole and released it, or actually persuaded the trainer to release it. I mean, if they're kind enough to rid the world of one more annoying Zubat, bring it to Unova where it feels rare, then evolve it into a kick-ass Crobat, they're going to feel pretty moved by Ghetsis' speeches.

Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2011
    You have to beat the E4 to get one. Pairing that with actually finding one... I don't see what you're complaining about.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I don't mind this at all seeing as capturing a Tyranitar from the wild at the high level they must be caught makes them weaker, than raising them from a Larvitar.

I could see this coming in handy if I ever cared to finish my Pokedex.

Heart Gold

Jellicent Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2012
    3 Attack EVs. Enough said.

Also, I breed all of my Pokemon for IVs and nature so I don't care about wild Pokemon anyway other than for gaining EVs or obtaining something to breed.

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
  • Well, to be fair, Tyranitar only has a 1% chance of appearing in the wild, making encountering it a tedious process. Though, it does seem sort of odd that wild Tyranitar are only found in Unova when they should be native to Johto.

Metagross also appears in the wild, but as it has a 3% catch rate on top of having a 1% encounter rate, it's balanced out quite well.

dieter57

pokemon master
    Years
  • dragonite is also found in the wild i think.
    and as for grinding a pokemon to evolve, the whole Hydreigon line takes it to a whole new level. literally.
    and i like being able to catch one, i have yet to do so but the idea is nice.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • At first I thought it was odd that Tyranitar was available but I am not complaining.

But I am going to get a Larvitar and level it up.

Jesspke

Passerby~
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2016
    Lol, it's later on in the game, so yeah, I was suprised to find you can catch:

Tyranitar (Obiously :P)
    Metagross
    Miloctic (Alothough it takes aload of damn time)
    Mamoswine

And then they go and make Riolu impossible to find. Funny, I wanted all ^ them in my old games, didn't really bother with Riolu.
    I'll go have a look and find it's possible to catch Salamence and stuff o.o

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I don't think it "ruined" the point of those Pokemon. It more... gave it a new level of accessibility. Like, it gave you more options to get Tyranitar - it's not like catching it is easy at all! Plus, it gives people the opportunity to use it who might've not used it before because it required so much effort to obtain and use. I personally thought it was really cool that they started including the final evolution forms of lots of Pokemon in the wild. :3

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I don't think it "ruined" the point of those Pokemon. It more... gave it a new level of accessibility. Like, it gave you more options to get Tyranitar - it's not like catching it is easy at all! Plus, it gives people the opportunity to use it who might've not used it before because it required so much effort to obtain and use. I personally thought it was really cool that they started including the final evolution forms of lots of Pokemon in the wild. :3
    I couldn't agree more. I was surprised to see a wild Tyranitar in the shaking grass, and I thought to myself after seeing its IVs (which were terrible), "Eh, screw it. I'll keep this just for the Pokedex. I can't be bothered leveling up Pupitar all the way up to that point just for that."

Back