• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen D/P/Pt is the worst of all the Generations

Years
    • DC
    • Seen Feb 27, 2016
    1. While this has certainly been my least favorite generation as far as new Pokemon go, uncreative they certainly are not. Besides for the obligatory clones (Pachirisu, Starly, Bidoof, Kricketot, and the like), and the unimpressive, if welcome, addition of a ton of evolutions for pokemon like Sneasel, Electabuzz, Magmar, and Roselia that shine during the midgame but are outclassed by fully evolved pokemon like Charizard, Alakazam or Aggron, this generation brought a breath of fresh air into the relatively stale Pokemon environment as of generation III. Beedrill and Combee are both bees, but they're very different and you wouldn't mistake the two, like you might, perhaps, Pidgey and Starly. There are also really creative, unexpected ones like Croagunk and Drifloon. (As a side note, is anyone else kind of frustrated that yet again, two of the starters feel rehashed? Props for Infernape, but, starting from Gen I, we have a dino (Bulbasaur), turtle (Squirtle), and lizard (Charmander). Then we get a dino (Chikorita), a "mouse"/dino (Cyndaquil, although Typhlosion's really the only one that fits the dino bill), and a lizard (Totodile). Gen III gives us yet another lizard (Treecko), a chicken (Torchic), and a ...mudfish? Looks like a dino to me (Swampert). Gen IV, another turtle, another chicken, and a monkey. At least we get a monkey.)
    What really disappointed me about Generation IV was the legendaries. Put simply, I find them hideously ugly. Except for perhaps Shaymin, who's an inoffensive little hedgehog. Really, I feel like there hasn't been a really great legendary since GSC, which provided a limited, but creative and fun batch of legendaries. Sure, Mewtwo was weird, and I wasn't crazy about Lugia, but the legendary birds and the legendary dogs are a lot of fun. Celebi and Ho-oh are two of my favorite because of their connection with real myths (heh, oxymoron).
    But Arceus? Dialga? Giratina? PALKIA? They make me want to reach for the brain bleach. A creative generation, to be sure, but -especially when it comes to the legendaries- unsuccessful with regards to the Pokemon themselves.
    2. This is what I've been waiting for for ten years! Crunch was special. Shadow Ball was physical.
    ...what
    3. I've never liked any of the subsequent teams after Team Rocket. One mafia's enough for me. Four's pushing it. It's mostly prejudice, really, but aside from that, the stories get more and more outlandish. Gen III was pushing it. Causing worldwide drought or endless rainstorms? That's a little crazy already, even with some willing suspension of disbelief, but Team Galactic jumps the shark.
    4. Easy Elite Four? I think appropriately challenging is more accurate. I've never thought that any games had excessively difficult trainers, and Generation IV continues a trend of relatively well-planned difficulty. Only Generation II was completely a joke, and only Red presents any real challenge (and even then, he's not really that hard: I've done an Umbreon solo run at level 70 and I beat him on the first try...). The only truly challenging Pokemon game I've played is probably Shiny Gold X, and it is quite difficult.
    5. I HATE WATER ROUTES.
    I NEVER WANT TO SEE ANOTHER TENTACOOL IN MY LIFE.

I'll always have a soft spot for Johto, but Sinnoh's okay. Certainly beats Hoenn, and I'd place it about on par with Kanto. I do wish cities would have a little more character, though, like in Hoenn.

Shirona

[span="font-size: 18px; font-family: Abril Fatface
    Years
    • Seen May 10, 2019
    Personally, I would say they suck mainly because of their atrocious slowness, a 4th generation game played at 200% is about as fast as any other Pokemon game played at normal speed. To be honest, if they were just a bit faster, I would probably not call them the worst generation, since they also had some very good points. The speed ruins it though.
    Gen 4 was inexplicably slow, but I don't think it was all that slow; I mean look at Platinum. It's improved the speed drastically at some points. Battles in DP are just intolerable now.
    Naw 4th Gen is when the crapload of Ubers came through.
    Really? You should ask an experienced battler if 4th gen increased the use of them. Otherwise you have no place to say this at all.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    As a side note, is anyone else kind of frustrated that yet again, two of the starters feel rehashed? Props for Infernape, but, starting from Gen I, we have a dino (Bulbasaur), turtle (Squirtle), and lizard (Charmander). Then we get a dino (Chikorita), a "mouse"/dino (Cyndaquil, although Typhlosion's really the only one that fits the dino bill), and a lizard (Totodile). Gen III gives us yet another lizard (Treecko), a chicken (Torchic), and a ...mudfish? Looks like a dino to me (Swampert). Gen IV, another turtle, another chicken, and a monkey. At least we get a monkey.

They seem somewhat repeats to me, but not in the way you're saying it. You compared Swampert to Bulbasaur and Turtwig to Squirtle. Turtwig is more like Bulbasaur for a start. None of the Gen II starters were rehashes. Chikorita mayhave a little similarity to Bulbasaur in that they're both Grass and four-legged.

3. I've never liked any of the subsequent teams after Team Rocket. One mafia's enough for me. Four's pushing it. It's mostly prejudice, really, but aside from that, the stories get more and more outlandish. Gen III was pushing it. Causing worldwide drought or endless rainstorms? That's a little crazy already, even with some willing suspension of disbelief, but Team Galactic jumps the shark.

Team Magma and Aqua's weird goals were more jumping the shark. Team Galactic was growing the beard.

4. Easy Elite Four? I think appropriately challenging is more accurate. I've never thought that any games had excessively difficult trainers, and Generation IV continues a trend of relatively well-planned difficulty. Only Generation II was completely a joke, and only Red presents any real challenge (and even then, he's not really that hard: I've done an Umbreon solo run at level 70 and I beat him on the first try...). The only truly challenging Pokemon game I've played is probably Shiny Gold X, and it is quite difficult.

Here, here. Although solo runs are usually a bit easier than a full team of six after the appropriate grinding at the start. Johto's bad level curvemay affect that though.

Shirona

[span="font-size: 18px; font-family: Abril Fatface
    Years
    • Seen May 10, 2019
    Team Magma and Aqua's weird goals were more jumping the shark. Team Galactic was growing the beard.
    DPt's plot really does scream "this is the power of this legendary Pokémon", and at least the goal was steady and made sense. Cyrus was nuts - he certainly has more destructive goals than Giovanni.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    As a side note, is anyone else kind of frustrated that yet again, two of the starters feel rehashed? Props for Infernape, but, starting from Gen I, we have a dino (Bulbasaur), turtle (Squirtle), and lizard (Charmander). Then we get a dino (Chikorita), a "mouse"/dino (Cyndaquil, although Typhlosion's really the only one that fits the dino bill), and a lizard (Totodile). Gen III gives us yet another lizard (Treecko), a chicken (Torchic), and a ...mudfish? Looks like a dino to me (Swampert). Gen IV, another turtle, another chicken, and a monkey. At least we get a monkey.)

Aren't you being a bit too vague there? I'd hardly call a Salamander or a Dragon the same thing as a Gecko. Sure Salamanders and Dragons fit into the lizard family slightly but that doesn't mean they're the same animal. Quite far from it. Also I think Typhlosion is meant to be a Wolverine. It's more like you put the Pokemon that you don't know and classed them as Dinosaurs. Also Mudkip is an Axolotl not a Mudfish, it has no resemblance to a Mudfish what so ever other than the name. Piplup is so obviously a penguin not a chicken, there's like no comparison. Again with the lizard thing, start calling Totodile a crocodile or alligator at worst. Lizard is just too vague for them. Squirtle you see is a sea turtle so that's why it's a water type, however Turtwig is a land turtle so it's a grass type and later becomes a Grass and Ground type.

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2010
    the 4th generation is a joke in regard to the new pokemon such as :

infernape, looks horrible and is a try hard version of blaziken.
    magmortar and electirive, nintendo should of left it at magmar and electabuzz, they were great pokemon untill these two came along.
    the pixies they call 'legendaries'
    also the 4th generation by itself has 14 legendary pokemon, over half of them are a joke and are worthless, legendarys just arent the same no more.

just my $0.02

tobi-ksla

Years
    Remember: In the 3rd Gen, Shadow Ball was considered PHYSICAL.

... They fixed that, and loads of other moves, in the 4th Gen. They're fixing the logic here, people!

Bolanboy

ǝpısdn uʍop
    Years
    I find it to be the worst generation of Pokemon, but some people overreact way too much towards it. As a general Pokemon game, it's good. As a sequel to previous Pokemon games, it's not.

joehat

Yay
    Years
    This is just my opinion if you disagree state why so.

Reasons DPPt sucked:
    1) The 4th Gen Pokemon are the most rush and uncreative
    2) The Physical-Special split
    3) The story line with Team Galactic and such was too over the top
    4) The Gym Leaders and E4 were way too easy
    5) The Sinnoh region doesn't have many Water routes

1 - The Pokemon in DPPt aren't the most creative, I will agree with that. Although that doesn't matter much to me, I still like them.

2 - The Physical - Special split is the best thing that has happened in Pokemon games.

3 - The storyline with Team Galactic was great. If the story line was too mellow, you'd be complaining about that.

4 - The Gym Leaders and E4 were easy if you trained Pokemon that made defeating them easy.

5 - I'm tired of hearing about this one. IMO, the Hoenn region had so many water routes because of Kyogre and so many ground routes because of Groudon. Same thing with Johto, you needed that large water route for Lugia and the Whirl Islands. Sinnoh however, is designed around Mount Coronet. There are plenty of water routes in the region especially in the Survival, Resort and Fight areas.

Years
    All @ the OP:

1. They are kinda uncreative... but keep in mind that the majority of the species on our planet have at least 5 other species that look identical to it.
    2. I completely disagree with you... the physical-special split actually follows logic!
    3. It's not even the storyline that appalls me (I've seen worse, believe it or not), it's the fact that they don't even know how to dress like a criminal organization.
    4. That's just because there are so many trainers that you can battle continuously, and the routes are very long. This gen is by far the largest in terms of distance traveled.
    5. That's just your personal preference.

Years
    the split of physical and special moves is the most clever idea, i think. it's really weird that high att gyarados can do little damage from Bite, and high sp att but low att espeon can do great damage still from Bite

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
    Years
    1) Garchomp was awesome. As was Lucario. Same with Rotom. There are many cool Gen IV pokemon, if I start naming the all, it'd take a lot of time.

2) Best change ever happened to Pokemon.

3) Galactic were cool, that Distortion World stuff was awesome.

4) Did you use AR or trained like an addict? G/S/C leaders were a joke compared to D/P/Pt. Whitney can easily beaten with a Machop, and Ice Punch > Clair. And, tbh Barry > Red.

5) That's actually good. I always thought that floods keep coming in Hoenn. I was really happy to find out D/P/Pt had less water routes. Haven't you played FR/LG? In FR/LG, there was only one water route, the one which is goes from Pallet Town to Cinnabar Island and ends at Fuchsia City. Same with G/S/C, they had the water route of Ecruteak to Mahogany, which wasn't even compulsary to go in, the water route of Olivine to Cianbar, and the tiny one of New Bark Town-Tohjo falls.

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
    Lol, I don't think it was the worst of all the generations, but personally I don't consider them the best by any means. R/S/E were by far the worst in my book, for the horrible Pokemon (most of them) and the horrible places (most of them, as there are always an exception to the rule.) and Team Aqua/Magma made me want to scream in rage. I didn't like them.

I actually liked a lot about D/P/Pt... I just didn't like it enough to buy each one and play through it three different times like I am going to with HG/SS. <3 There were some good things and some bad. That's how all games are.

Sky
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    First, sorry for my english...

1/ Not all but about the stat, I think gen IV has many tough Pokemon and new evolution for old Pokemon (if you compare with Johto)
    2/ That's good.
    3/ Well, about the story...it's good but I think some events may unsuitable for a Pokemon game. (Dialga and Palkia can create a new universe, and Arceus.... compare with FR/LG/R/S/E.. the legendary Pokemon may have more power)
    4/ No, it's not easy. A Roserade and Lucario in gym 2,3 if they have good moves, you can't beat them in same level.
    5/ That isn't bad. depend on terrain. The world map is from the real Japan.

Overall, I like D/P/Pt but I think if compare with Ruby or FR, HGSS I think it's not as interesting. ( I want to talk about the story, Pokemon... not graphic....I like R/S/E)
    That's depend on our opinion....

Last edited:

A Pixy

Cruel?
    Years
    This is just my opinion if you disagree state why so.

Reasons DPPt sucked:

1- That's objective, I'm sure someone, somewhere thinks the 4th gen pokemon all look kewl.

2- You're joking right? ಠ_ಠ

3- With music like this, I couldn't care less.

4- Okay, you tell yourself that while I show everyone else fact.

Kanto AVERAGE HIGHEST LEVELED POKEMON OF GYM LEADER: 34
    Sinnoh AVERAGE HIGHEST LEVELED POKEMON OF GYM LEADER: 32.75
    Hoenn AVERAGE HIGHEST LEVELED POKEMON OF GYM LEADER: 29.125
    Johto AVERAGE HIGHEST LEVELED POKEMON OF GYM LEADER: 25.5

Gen IV was, technically, the 2nd hardest gen of them all.

Also, like JAY PEE PEE EIGHT, for me, facing the E4 was like:

"DAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWW

/Buys 999 Revives"

5- That too is objective.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Okay, here's my take.

I'd rate D/P/Pt and G/S/C (Oddly, I'm less than excited about HG/SS for various reasons) about neck and neck, with both being light years ahead of R/S/E. I slightly preferred FR/LG the best and I'd rank R/B/Y somewhere between D/P/Pt and R/S/E.

The Special/Physical split has actually helped my favorite Pokemon more than hurt them. Team Galactic is better than Magma/Aqua IMO, though I still prefer the more focused goals of Team Rocket. But it's really the Wi-fi connectivity that sets 4th gen apart from the other games, and is the main reason it kept me interested in Pokemon.

Moltres111

<- Serious business.
    Years
    ^^

yeah, the general opinion is that "gen 3 sucks" because of the water routes.

ROCK TUNNEL anyone? ZUBAT? Or has Zubat maybe been exchanged for Tentacool simply because of Gen 3? /facepalm

oh wait, everyone's wearing the nostalgia glasses.. nevermind.

I'll have to say the 3rd gen and 4th gen were good. I've always hated gen 1 and gen 2's graphics. They could have been better, but GF didn't make them better. Umm, fail? ^_^

Back